Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times

Advertisements

My late step-father's brother was a POW in North Korea and China for 2+ years in the Korean war era. He was a gunner on an Air Force bomber that was shot down over N. Korea, and was injured in the parachute jump from the damaged aircraft. As a POW He got no medical care, lost over 1/3 of his body weight, suffered frostbite, malnutrition, starvation, beatings, long solitary confinement, long marches. He was one of the lucky ones, because many of his fellow prisoners did not survive. His family or the US government was never notified he was a POW during the Korean War, so he never got letters or was allowed to write letters. Imagine their shock when he returned home.

This is the only survivor of actual torture that I have ever met, and he is still alive and well. If he was forced to answer questions as a POW to stay alive, he would give a rambling answer with no factual information. Why would present day captives do anything else when faced with torture? Basic human survival instinct has not changed that much in the last 6 decades. Torture does far more harm to the country that sanctions the torture than any perceived benefit that it might provide to that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My late step-father's brother was a POW in North Korea and China for 2+ years in the Korean war era. He was a gunner on an Air Force bomber that was shot down over N. Korea, and was injured in the parachute jump from the damaged aircraft. As a POW He got no medical care, lost over 1/3 of his body weight, suffered frostbite, malnutrition, starvation, beatings, long solitary confinement, long marches. He was one of the lucky ones, because many of his fellow prisoners did not survive. His family or the US government was never notified he was a POW during the Korean War, so he never got letters or was allowed to write letters. Imagine their shock when he returned home.

This is the only survivor of actual torture that I have ever met, and he is still alive and well. If he was forced to answer questions as a POW to stay alive, he would give a rambling answer with no factual information. Why would present day captives do anything else when faced with torture? Basic human survival instinct has not changed that much in the last 6 decades. Torture does far more harm to the country that sanctions the torture than any perceived benefit that it might provide to that country.
How do you know? And why? If I were tortured I'd know only BY giving factual answers would be the only way to stop. If I start lying they are just going to get even more mad and torture me even worse. Whereas you give them all the info they want they'll be happy and not torture.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
OP: Under torture, people have admitted to being witches, turning themselves into animals, having sexual relations with the Devil, making people and animals ill through magic, etc., etc. That is one reason why torture is not always reliable.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:29 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
"Rambling answer with no factual information" could just mean opinions and irrelevant points, with little or no lying. Besides, North Koreans probably didn't have great translators who could quickly catch on to the tactic, which would waste a lot of time. Language issue aside, I think it's a good example of how torture might produce lousy information. By the way, it's possible that even America has lousy interrogators who ask questions that are unlikely to lead to the desired info. It's not a field where tactics are based on much research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology