Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM

66 posts, read 90,921 times

Advertisements

I've never done anything like this so please bear with me. As of late I've been obsessing over the fear of asbestos in my house and it killing my daughter and wife. Not sure what's going on. I don't get worried about anythingelse that could harm her....falling, choking car accidents etc. My last worries have been the thought of my dog dying. The IRScoming to get me and contracting an std. All of which were at ddifferent times. All within the past 5 years. I consistanly google and look for reassurance from people and websites. I try to convince myself nothing is wrong and we will be fine but I can't shake the fear. I know the facts about asbestos disease and the workplace. And I also know how rare it actually is to get one of the disease especially by just remodeling ur house but I can't get past this one. My irrational thoughts are destroying me and my marriage. I just don't know what to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 05:35 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,777,180 times
You know what to do, don't you?

You have an ongoing slew of irrational fears. When those fears become so intense that they interfere with your daily thoughts or routines on a continual basis, then they become phobias.

Essentially you've got an anxiety disorder. It won't go away by itself. Left untreated it may only get worse. Get off the internet and go seek professional help. Find a qualified therapist.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Essentially you've got an anxiety disorder. It won't go away by itself. Left untreated it may only get worse. Get off the internet and go seek professional help. Find a qualified therapist.
I agree...one that can give some meds...or find God and all your
worries you can give to Him to take care of. One or the other...!
I'm serious!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM

159 posts, read 193,288 times
There is a very broken understanding of mental illness it doesn't mean something is wrong with you. It means something is wrong with the chemical balancing process within your mind. It sounds to me like you have cycling psychotic breaks typical to the BipolarI diagnosis. God won't fix this just yet, but some simple medications will do the job till then. The medicinal balancing agents you will need are prescription only. 5 years is a long time to wait but it is really good that you are seeking answers. therapists can not issue prescriptions you need a psychiatrist (They alone can write prescriptions) They can also diagnose your problem. If you don't know who to call, call your local emergency ambulance service (NOT 911) and ask them where is the nearest mental health care facility. Go immediately!!! You may stay for a night or two in order to be properly diagnosed observation is necessary. Call into work FLMPA. Document as much as you can remember about your symptoms.(what happened, when did it happen, and how you felt when it happened.) Be sure to tell them you need as many free samples of whatever they put you on. Having a mental disorder is not a shameful thing. NAMI.org is a strong organization to look to for help if you need to. Seek a private diagnosis as a second opinion don't tell the private doctor what you already know see what she/he comes up with on their own. After you hear their diagnosis and medicinal recommendation tell them the whole story Log and all. Verifying the diagnosis is vital to correcting the problem. Then do your research on your illness. I recommend you keep a detailed log of dates and times you take your meds. Any changes you feel physically and pay really close attention to what you find yourself thinking about. It's not forever(the notetaking) just until you feel secure that the problem is being resolved. Share your notes with your doctor and in time you'll be fine. It's not an internet intelligence issue, it's a your family needs you to be ok issue. The sooner you get it taken care of the sooner you can get back to life. Make it a habit for your doc to provide free samples!!! Best Wishes

Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filly4thirteen View Post
I've never done anything like this so please bear with me. As of late I've been obsessing over the fear of asbestos in my house and it killing my daughter and wife. Not sure what's going on. I don't get worried about anythingelse that could harm her....falling, choking car accidents etc. My last worries have been the thought of my dog dying. The IRScoming to get me and contracting an std. All of which were at ddifferent times. All within the past 5 years. I consistanly google and look for reassurance from people and websites. I try to convince myself nothing is wrong and we will be fine but I can't shake the fear. I know the facts about asbestos disease and the workplace. And I also know how rare it actually is to get one of the disease especially by just remodeling ur house but I can't get past this one. My irrational thoughts are destroying me and my marriage. I just don't know what to do
Get yourself into counseling asap. Obsessing like you are is clearly a chemical imbalance....get some help for it, and there is help....the rest will fall into place.
Here are a few links...This may help you to talk to others who know how you feel, and may have some healing stories to share....This should not replace "in-person" help. I hope you feel better soon.
Support Groups - Online Support Groups
Psych Central: Mental Health: Support Groups

Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 PM

159 posts, read 193,288 times
Forgot to add that due to the lack of understanding of mental disorders which includes stuttering, just so you see how broad the topic actually is. Sadly a diagnosis can alienate you from certain lines of work and your medications may be a long term necessity. So be sure as quietly as possible that your line of work will not be affected and doesn't need to have the diagnosis reported. If it does line up a lawyer companies play fair when the teams are equal. This is NOT a panic situation, I am just trying to condense as much information as I can for you. So don't be worried just be prepared.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,314,205 times
you have generalized anxiety disorder. talk to a shrink

Old 02-10-2015, 12:38 AM

21,180 posts, read 19,786,513 times
Why not have your home tested for asbestos? If the result is negative, your fear is unfounded. If the test is positive, you may have saved your family's lives.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,904,013 times
Often, worries like these are defenses against worrying about or dealing with other issues. I think a therapist could really help you

Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 AM

111 posts, read 116,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why not have your home tested for asbestos? If the result is negative, your fear is unfounded. If the test is positive, you may have saved your family's lives.
This sounds like a very good idea! However doing both (testing) and seeing a professional might be an optimal answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology