Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

The Victim Triangle, also known as the "Drama Triangle", are terms that counselors and therapists often use to describe "high drama" situations that lure people into one of three "roles": either the helpless "victim", the evil "persecutor", or the heroic "rescuer" who comes in to rescue the victim. And sometimes the roles even switch, where say, the "rescuer" offends the other two, and then becomes the new "persecutor".

Have you encountered this before, and if so which role do you often end up in… and how to avoid it, especially whenever the "victim's" predicament seems so 'moving'?

The Drama Triangle: Persecutor, Victim and and Rescuer

The Three Faces of Victim — An Overview of the Drama Triangle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Sometimes there is a two-way interaction without any persecutor, such as when a rescuer thinks they can help an alcoholic.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
You have to raise your level of awareness about yourself to be able to prevent your temptation to be drawn into encounters like that.
Don't be an enabler !
They are psychic vampires that will suck all of your positive energy from you leaving you a shell of what you used to be.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I tend to run away, quickly, when I encounter people who have any of those tendencies. When I was a therapist, of course, I worked with lots of them. But in my personal life, I have "radar" for people with these issues, with personality disorders, etc, and I keep my distance.

Some people, because of their upbringing, are sensitive to manipulation and it draws them in. They may just be comfortable with it because it's familiar, or they might have grown up seeing people use manipulation in order to get their needs met (they learned that it pays off). Those of us not raised in families where manipulation paid off are not so susceptible to it. I actually have an aversion to it, like the wrong end of a magnet.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The Victim Triangle, also known as the "Drama Triangle", are terms that counselors and therapists often use to describe "high drama" situations that lure people into one of three "roles": either the helpless "victim", the evil "persecutor", or the heroic "rescuer" who comes in to rescue the victim. And sometimes the roles even switch, where say, the "rescuer" offends the other two, and then becomes the new "persecutor".

Have you encountered this before, and if so which role do you often end up in… and how to avoid it, especially whenever the "victim's" predicament seems so 'moving'?

The Drama Triangle: Persecutor, Victim and and Rescuer

The Three Faces of Victim — An Overview of the Drama Triangle
Yup sounds like my sister and parents. I've tried all my life to break the triangle but it keeps going and going and it was poop growing up having to see it in action. Anyone who lives aside the triangle my advice to draw a solid line aside from that triangle. This means making lots of distance even it requires restraint orders against family members. Do what it takes at all costs to get away.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
You have to raise your level of awareness about yourself to be able to prevent your temptation to be drawn into encounters like that.
Don't be an enabler !
They are psychic vampires that will suck all of your positive energy from you leaving you a shell of what you used to be.

Mmmm...ain't it the truth though. Run into a few of those. They are pretty easy to spot. Dangling their , so called, predicament, out there, projecting a beaten down demeanor, like a worm on a hook. Always wanting to tell how horrible "he" is, etc. Like you say, mental and emotional vampires.

Wormed on a huge facility that was packed with these types. Big facility, small town. Hunting victims relieved boredom, I guess.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:05 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
LOL my cousin basically has (or tries to have) this triangle with everyone in her life. She's the victim and the persecutor is anyone who won't be her rescuer, which is now most of the people in her life. When someone won't participate in this triangle, she cuts them out of her life. Thus, I haven't seen or spoken to her in years.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:08 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Mmmm...ain't it the truth though. Run into a few of those. They are pretty easy to spot. Dangling their so-called predicament… like a worm on a hook. Always wanting to tell how horrible "he" is, etc. Like you say, mental and emotional vampires.

Wormed on a huge facility that was packed with these types. Big facility, small town. Hunting victims relieved boredom, I guess.
Luv the 'visual' (LOL!), and it's easy to forget that a certain amount of 'luring' and 'testing the waters' usually precedes these types. Also some 'victims' seem to have extraordinary "antennae" for 'suckers' (aka, "rescuers"). Which is another part of the problem, because even if they don't draw you in, you still may have to contend with the co-workers, friends or family members who did 'take the bait'!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Luv the 'visual' (LOL!), and it's easy to forget that a certain amount of 'luring' and 'testing the waters' usually precedes these types. Also some 'victims' seem to have extraordinary "antennae" for 'suckers' (aka, "rescuers"). Which is another part of the problem, because even if they don't draw you in, you still may have to contend with the co-workers, friends or family members who did 'take the bait'!
Truth. Which is also the best "vampire repellant" there is. Calling these manipulators out sends them , screaming, back to their coffins. Its the Dracula/Holy Water effect. Then, like you say, they have to call on their minions.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:58 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Yeah, I've seen this a lot.

It's comical when the roles shift, it's like watching young kids playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology