Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,635 times

Advertisements

I decided to create this thread in relation to my experiences using Ideomotor Effect which involves the use of a flat surface with symbols on it and a pointing device which used together create opportunity for communication between the conscious self and the sub conscious aspect of the individual.

Of course this is popularized by 'Ouija' but whereas such message boards are fairly basic, the ones I developed are far more complex and thus more useful for the purpose of communication.

The word ‘Ouija’ itself comes from a marketing strategy and is associated with the most common type of message board and sold mainly as a toy.

My understanding of ideomotor is that it involves the unconscious hand movements of the individual(s), which – in relation to the message board and pointing device (which the hand(s) rest on) produce a form of communication which is attributed to either some external agency, (common belief is that the hand movements are controlled by ‘dead souls’, or ‘dark energy entities' or 'spirits’) or (slightly less commonly,) that it is an internal agency, namely the ‘unconscious’ or ‘subconscious’ of the individual.

My own approach in initially using such device was on the assumption I was communicating with ‘the dead’ and through continued use over many months this understanding changed as I was lead to understand that I was communicating with an intelligent aspect of my self to which I had previously been totally ignorant about.

It was actually this other aspect of my self which ‘broke the news’ to me regarding this.

Importantly, opinions I have read up on regarding the ‘unconscious’ or ‘subconscious’ do not report these things to being conscious or intelligent. They are merely aspects of a person’s consciousness which are working internally and automatically - quietly in the background as part of the overall necessity of human function and ability.

I have come to understand that 'unconscious' really means that the conscious self is unaware of things, and that 'the unconscious' is a term used to describe the sub conscious and that this term is largely misleading when applied to the sub conscious aspect of the individual.

Is the subconscious really what we think it is?

Quote:
"If someone talks of subconsciousness, I cannot tell whether he means the term topographically – to indicate something lying in the mind beneath consciousness – or qualitatively – to indicate another consciousness, a subterranean one, as it were. He is probably not clear about any of it. The only trustworthy antithesis is between conscious and unconscious.” Sigmund Freud, The Question of Lay Analysis(Vienna 1926; English translation 1927)
Freud, it would seem, had little use for the word. He preferred to focus on the ‘unconscious’
Psychologists and psychiatrists seem to generally take a much more limited view of the capabilities of the unconscious than people who believe there is power to harness from the realms of the subconscious and bring into the real world.

Physicist Ali Alousi, criticized this belief because it as unmeasurable and questioned the likelihood that thoughts can affect anything outside the head.
Skeptics generally criticize the lack of falsifiability and testability of such claims.

I have not come across any particular method whereby the subconscious mind can be interacted with and the results of those interactions recorded, apart from the method commonly associated with message boards and ideomotor effect.

My own observations in regard to thoughts being able to affect anything outside the head is that they can and do and this is a common method used for intelligent beings with our capabilities to express ourselves. I understand though that the reference may well have to do with magical thinking in which case I can agree but have reservations that all ‘new age’ communities are 100% in agreement that magical things can be brought into the real world.

More to the point, I think they are often referring to the power of the subconscious to be trained to focus on improving their lives in general and doing so through the power of thought and the expression of thought into positive action.

From my own experience I know that this aspect of individual consciousness referred to as the sub conscious is not only conscious but is able to communicate with the surface conscious aspect -that aspect we identify as being. The 'I' and the 'Me' living and experiencing the external physical world.

In learning to communicate with the sub conscious aspect, it is only natural to treat it as something separate from ones self , certainly in the initial stages of the ‘getting to know one another’ process, although – again from my own experience – the ‘sub conscious’ part already knew me...in every detail. After all I am part of what it is...So the reality was that I was ‘getting to know it.’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 PM

So - while you might think that in order to get the help you need you are required to go to others and get their advice etc, there really is no need because everything you can possibly need in the way of answers, you already have the means to find these through introspection and communicating with your 'inner self' - sometimes referred to as 'higher self'.

Everything which happens to you in relation to your mind, such as dreams, hallucinations, OOBE, sleep paralysis, insight, intuition, happens because your inner self is trying to connect and commune with you and help you literally find yourself.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:58 PM

You have the answers to your questions within you. Questions like these:

Why its hard for some men to be just FRIENDS with an attractive woman?
Why Mother's of abused children protect abuser?
Do you rather be relaxed and content or extremely busy and ambitious?
What causes a person to speak in the third person? "Me, mine, my, I" phobia?
Is it OK to Be Lazy and Not Want to Do Anything? Only Do the Minimum?
Can I be both introvert and extrovert?
I Was molested what can I do to heal?
Why do people defer to and become intimidated by people who SEEM supremely self confident?
Why Do I Get So Angry?
Procrastination? What causes it?
How does the language that I speak affect my way of thinking?
Why are we so superstitious?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
Why do people feel as if they need help? Seeing yourself as sick is self defeating and detrimental to your already low self esteem. A person simply needs tools to develop better coping strategies. Most of those in the helping profession are damaged good themselves. They never healed or developed coping strategies in their own life spare for one. They enjoy spending their entire life and career listening to the troubles and tragedies of patients.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
You might check out the Gifford series of lectures on YouTube by leading neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga, who's famous for his experiments with "split brain" patients, where the nerve bundle separating the two hemispheres of the brain has been severed, usually as a radical treatment for schizophrenia.

In his experiments, he found that the Right hemisphere, the seat of the "unconscious", responded as though it were a separate entity, and indeed actually 'dominated' most perceptions and activities in the tests. But the Left hemisphere, where our waking consciousness is located, often simply explained whatever the Right hemisphere had already decided. For this reason, Gazzaniga has dubbed the Left hemisphere, which we think is "in charge", as the Interpreter.

BTW, maybe also check out Carl Jung's "Red Book", his personal journal during his younger years, documenting his inquiry into the workings of his own unconscious, in which he formed his revolutionary ideas re: the collective unconscious, the animus & anima, and archetypes, among others.

Michael Gazzaniga Gifford Lectures

The Split Brain Revisited

Old 04-05-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
Why do people feel as if they need help? Seeing yourself as sick is self defeating and detrimental to your already low self esteem. A person simply needs tools to develop better coping strategies. Most of those in the helping profession are damaged good themselves. They never healed or developed coping strategies in their own life spare for one. They enjoy spending their entire life and career listening to the troubles and tragedies of patients.
I think many people believe that the answers to their problems can be found outside of their own self and their own abilities.
It is quite normal in the sense that we all start out in life depending on others to provide our needs. Many simply do not develop self help / self responsibility skills and rely on their habit of depending upon the external opinions of those who at least appear to have their own lives sorted.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You might check out the Gifford series of lectures on YouTube by leading neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga, who's famous for his experiments with "split brain" patients, where the nerve bundle separating the two hemispheres of the brain has been severed, usually as a radical treatment for schizophrenia.

In his experiments, he found that the Right hemisphere, the seat of the "unconscious", responded as though it were a separate entity, and indeed actually 'dominated' most perceptions and activities in the tests. But the Left hemisphere, where our waking consciousness is located, often simply explained whatever the Right hemisphere had already decided. For this reason, Gazzaniga has dubbed the Left hemisphere, which we think is "in charge", as
the Interpreter.

BTW, maybe also check out Carl Jung's "Red Book", his personal journal during his younger years, documenting his inquiry into the workings of his own unconscious, in which he formed his revolutionary ideas re: the collective unconscious, the animus & anima, and archetypes, among others.

Michael Gazzaniga Gifford Lectures

The Split Brain Revisited
Yes - I know of these theories.

In relation to being 'unconscious' I understand this has to do with the conscious aspect of our 'self' (that which deals specifically with the external world and to which we identify with being) which is not conscious of other aspects - such as sub conscious activity and automatic reflex activity which is nonetheless happening. (as well as actually being in the state of unconsciousness).

It seem that the word 'unconscious' and 'subconscious' have been allowed to be used interchangeably and are thus understood to be the same thing.

The sub conscious is an aspect of the overall consciousness of the individual. While it can appear to be a separate entity, it is not. We (the surface consciousness) are mostly unaware of the sub conscious also being conscious (rather than being unconscious) and being disconnect from this knowledge is something of a disadvantage.

The concept that the individual is really 'just the brain' suits academia, and the industry built around psychology, but this concept is not necessarily the case.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM

^ ^ Well, we can "split hairs" about definitions, but in real world research, Gazzaniga has demonstrated that the Right hemisphere (seat of the unconscious, subconscious, "shadow" side, whatever you wish to call it)… has it's own set of perceptions, and feelings, about the world (and speaks to us in our dreams). Which is not surprising for an organ that specifically controls spatial tasks, musical and artistic endeavors, emotions, body control and awareness, and creativity & imagination.

BTW, obsessing over "definitions" (aka, "sorting"), seems to be a strong 'left brain' behavior. So if you really wanna get "in touch" with your "unconscious", instead maybe start speaking its language ("symbols"), and also become more willing to think in a less-rigid, "non-linear" fashion.

Your left brain has a bigger ego than your right brain

Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ Well, we can "split hairs" about definitions, but in real world research, Gazzaniga has demonstrated that the Right hemisphere (seat of the unconscious, subconscious, "shadow" side, whatever you wish to call it)… has it's own set of perceptions, and feelings, about the world. Which is not surprising for an organ that specifically controls spatial tasks, musical and artistic endeavors, body control and awareness, and creativity and imagination.

BTW, obsessing over "definitions" (aka, "sorting"), seems to be a strong 'left brain' behavior. If you really wanna get "in touch" with your "unconscious", you gotta use its language ("symbols"), and be willing to think in a more "non-linear" fashion.

Your left brain has a bigger ego than your right brain
Two sides, one brain.

Language is not something the brain created. It is something human consciousness created.

It isn't obsessing to point out that language is used as a tool for confusing issues rather than clarifying them, especially where words with different meanings are allowed to be used interchangeably.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology