Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:44 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times

Advertisements

What many people fail to realize is that none of you own any of the content you put onto facebook and that your facebook profile does not belong to you. It all belongs to facebook and they grant you access to it as a privilege. They also grant heightened access to investigators and police agencies... meaning that anything you do related to the siteosts, pictures, messages, chats, likes, pages you visit and even other sites you visit (cookies) are all there for any interested party with a big enough wallet to check... even if you think you have deleted this information.

It is not a free speech forum. If you want free speech online then run your own web server on a computer that you own and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
If I can moderate CD, why can't I moderate my own Facebook page?

Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
What is this "deleting what other people have to say" on Facebook thing?

If people don't like what someone else says, they delete what the other person wrote!

Is this not living in a world of "fantasy"? Not facing reality? I should think these people are going to have a difficult time later on in life...

-A judge in a court tells them something they don't like, will they delete that?
-A doctor tells them they have cancer - delete what the doctor said?
-Someone sends a bill for services - throw it in the trash?
-Etc.

These people are manufacturing a "false reality" or an environment of "fantasy". That is not very healthy if you ask me!
It's my Facebook page and I can do what I want with it.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Someone help me here.

If she does not want anyone to respond, why is she posting statements on the public newsfeed of 300 people? When she proclaims that she is the "Queen of her wall" is she also the Queen of 300 people's newsfeeds also, allowed to spew whatever she wants while allowing no one to respond to their newsfeed and deleting their comments? No one is going to her page and posting anything, they are responding to a public conversation that she started on a public newsfeed. I personally think it is a massive power/control trip. She has been doing this for years, and it boggles my mind.
I think you are misunderstanding how FB works. Your "newsfeed" is only seen by you, not anyone else. There is no "public" newsfeed. It is your list of recent activity of your friends that you've chosen to follow. You can stop following anyone you want (without unfriending them) and their stuff won't appear in your newsfeed. On the other hand, you cannot control whether the stuff on your wall appears in the newsfeed of others. They control that, not you. Your newsfeed is basically just a list of links to items that appear on the walls of your friends so when you reply to something in your newsfeed you are in fact "going to her page and posting".

Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think you are misunderstanding how FB works. Your "newsfeed" is only seen by you, not anyone else. There is no "public" newsfeed. It is your list of recent activity of your friends that you've chosen to follow. You can stop following anyone you want (without unfriending them) and their stuff won't appear in your newsfeed. On the other hand, you cannot control whether the stuff on your wall appears in the newsfeed of others. They control that, not you. Your newsfeed is basically just a list of links to items that appear on the walls of your friends so when you reply to something in your newsfeed you are in fact "going to her page and posting".
I mean "public" in the sense that people know that what they post will appear outside of their wall, on the newsfeeds of 100s of people with whom they are friends. Poor choice of wording on my part.

I never visit someone's personal page to post. If it comes across my feed, I respond there.

My point is that people should not post statements that they know are going to be plastered all over the newsfeed of 500 people/friends, if they do not want anyone to respond to what they have to say. Why post something and then go crazy screaming and deleting people when someone responds to your broadcasted statement?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
My point is that people should not post statements that they know are going to be plastered all over the newsfeed of 500 people/friends, if they do not want anyone to respond to what they have to say. Why post something and then go crazy screaming and deleting people when someone responds to your broadcasted statement?
Why do they do it? Again, there are people with one or more Cluster B personality disorders everywhere:

Cluster B personality disorders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I mean "public" in the sense that people know that what they post will appear outside of their wall, on the newsfeeds of 100s of people with whom they are friends. Poor choice of wording on my part.

I never visit someone's personal page to post. If it comes across my feed, I respond there.

500 people? Ha. No worries. I have only my family and actual friends on my list. And I certainly DO occasionally visit someone's page to post there, if I have something to post that is specific to them. You seem to use FB in a very different way than I do.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What many people fail to realize is that none of you own any of the content you put onto facebook and that your facebook profile does not belong to you. It all belongs to facebook and they grant you access to it as a privilege. They also grant heightened access to investigators and police agencies... meaning that anything you do related to the siteosts, pictures, messages, chats, likes, pages you visit and even other sites you visit (cookies) are all there for any interested party with a big enough wallet to check... even if you think you have deleted this information.

It is not a free speech forum. If you want free speech online then run your own web server on a computer that you own and go from there.
Totally correct. My sister was in school when Facebook started and she thought it was a school related program that allowed her fellow students and profs to post homework updates and class schedule changes.... when she realized what it was she closed and deleted her account....

Eight years later, I get a notification that I can friend my sister. HER kid is now in college, so my thought was she opened an account to keep in touch with her daughter.... so I sent a request. Never answered.

No biggie -- talk to my sister all the time anyway -- don't need facebook.

Turns out -- they never REALLY close or delete your account. It just sits there inactive.

Add to that, one my nieces uses Facebook in her professional life, and then uses a personal page for family and friends, under her name and initial spelled out -- Like Ess, Heff, Zee, Pea... and now because her initial is an actual NAME of people, I am getting "You can friend this person" who has the real same name as my niece.

Add to that with the touchscreen I have accidently friended people I don't want to friend.... and by golly they are annoying on FB...

Old 03-30-2015, 12:57 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
This is not the same as Hillary deleting her work emails.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
500 people? Ha. No worries. I have only my family and actual friends on my list. And I certainly DO occasionally visit someone's page to post there, if I have something to post that is specific to them. You seem to use FB in a very different way than I do.
I do not have 500 people, the person I was referring to with the outbursts and controlling deletions does.

As I mentioned earlier, I am a very minimal user and use it for the same reason as you, to keep in contact with less than 100 people I know, family. Since I live out of state, it is the only place where I can keep in touch with everyone all in one spot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology