Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

"Clean your plate. There are children starving in Africa".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:32 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Twelve years of Catholic school here. Would you like a list? I'm not even talking about the creed or beliefs. I'm talking about things like hairy palms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
"Clean your plate. There are children starving in Africa".
My response to that was, "So send them this!"

My parents were not amused.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Twelve years of Catholic school here. Would you like a list? I'm not even talking about the creed or beliefs. I'm talking about things like hairy palms.

My response to that was, "So send them this!"

My parents were not amused.
In my generation it was China.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:09 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
"Look up and down before you cross the street"
I had no idea why looking up and down went with crossing a street. Why look at the sky then the road before you cross?

Took me a long while before I realized they meant look left and right before you cross.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I was a kid, my Christian parents taught me about the upcoming Rapture, when Christians would disappear in the blink of an eye.

So for years, if I couldn't find either of my parents for some reason (in a store, in the house when they might be out back instead, etc) I would think, "Oh NO! I got it wrong. I'm not going to heaven. I'm stuck here for the tribulation and then I'm going to hell."

Even today, if I can't find my husband or one of my parents, when I do find them I say, "Whew! I couldn't find you. I thought the rapture had happened and I was left behind."
I can certainly understand how a child could get a fear of being left behind.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
I heard or read somewhere that Catholics were not supposed to use birth control (I was Protestant), which I took to mean that Catholic mothers-to-be all had to have natural childbirth. So I was shocked when a less literal-minded Catholic childhood friend described her baby brother's arrival as happening just after her mother was "knocked out" (as was generally done back then): wasn't that controlled birth, aka birth control??

Old 04-04-2015, 12:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
don't watch tv in the dark - you'll go blind

why are you sitting so close to the tv - you'll go blind

don't play with that - you'll go blind

haha my mom actually did say the first 2 quite often - and i watch tv with the light on to this day (some 40+ years later)

Old 04-04-2015, 01:01 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Back in the 70's and well into the 80's I can remember hearing from many of people how it was "very easy" to spot a man who is gay such as how all gay men spoke with a lisp and if a man had the first name of Lance or Bruce then they must be gay. I can still remember when Bruce Springsteen had first became popular and my own cousin refused to buy his music only because she believed he was gay ONLY because of his first name.

Oh another thing..."Gay men do NOT smoke cigars !!". Back in the 70's when Dinah Shore had her own talk show I can remember staying at a friends house when Dinah had Paul Lynde on. Paul was smoking a cigar and my friend's dad made a comment that he was wrong about Paul Lynde saying "..guess he is not a q***r since he smokes cigars !!" Oh and there were those who believed that gay men don't have chest hair and beards. Gay men don't smoke cigars, have beards and chest hair ??? I can only imagine what their take on the homosexual "bear" community would had been ?? LOL..but gotta admit I had believe in that "myth" until about 20 years ago but I still think about it today whenever I see a hairy & bearded gay man smoking a cigar.

Growing up back in the 70's I can also remember hearing that white people do NOT smoke menthol cigarettes nor listen to R&B/Urban music as such things are strictly for black people. Sad to say I had actually believed this until the early 80's when I started to see quite a few white folks who were smoking Newport and KOOL cigarettes and listening to Washington DC's WKYS-FM an urban formatted station that is still on the air today.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Only loose woman wear red toe nail polish....

My mom used to say that and to this day if I see a woman wearing red toe nail polish, that's the first thought that comes to mind.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Some older children where teasing me about bats coming from an old barn.

A old farmer told me to show him........when I did he said those where just night birds.

I was no longer afraid.....bats still do not bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology