Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 10:13 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
BTW, men and women are different. We are not equals. Men are virtually better at almost everything because we are wired completely different. This is why pretty much every major achievement in the history of our species was due to a man or men. Women are beautiful creatures, but they were never meant to compete with the opposite sex, which is why so many of them are unhappy, or suffer from mental illness these days.
Apparently not at logic or language. Different does not mean unequal.

The rest of your post is garbage. Read a history book. Look up the definition of oppression. If, up until now, men made many of the contributions to advance things like science, it was because they held the power and did not allow women to take their rightful place. Considering that there are more women attending medical school than men, you might want to consider that one day, your life will most likely be in a woman's hands. Indeed, it already has been: Your mother's. There are also more women in college than men. Guess what that means? More female bosses and leaders.

And I see where you cannot cite any studies. This is because you can't.

You seem to be alienated and threatened by equal rights. Maybe you should see a therapist. It sounds like you could use one to help you cope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
oh, and btw, IRL ppl have no problem assessing my capacity as a man. i'm also tremendously educated and accomplished by modern society standards. and i've had several meaningful LTRs and sex with countless women. so i'm fairly confident i've earned my strips, as a man.

So sex with "countless" (is that a lot? or perhaps counting is just not your strong suit?) of women means you are a man (in addition to an education). It seems you have your own definition down pat.

Not sure I understand the point of the post, since you've already answered the question.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
stop, go away with your feminist dogma and post elsewhere please, or start your own thread. off topic.

thank you
Feminism is relevant because feminism is what is giving some men this huge crisis of confidence you keep going on about. Some men can't handle women being equals. Some men can't handle women having as much as, or more, sexual experience than they have. Some men can't handle women being their bosses. Some men can't handle their wives or partners earning more than they do. Some men can't handle women having the final say on a pregnancy. Some men can't handle the fact that women no longer need them the way women used to, as providers of food and shelter. Some men can't handle the fact that women no longer depend on them for survival, and therefore men no longer have all the power. All of these things are a result of feminism.

Well, feminism is here to stay. As I said earlier, women are not going to go backwards just because some men can't manage to find their place in the new world order. Men have had 50 years to come to terms with women getting good educations and having careers. Men have has just as long to come to terms with women having, and enjoying, sex with multiple partners. Men have had over 40 years to come to terms with women having the right to control what goes on in their own bodies concerning a pregnancy.

That some men choose to cling to outdated notions rather than adapt to the modern reality is a failing on the part of those particular men. These men don't need a rite of passage. They just need to grow up and live in the real world.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So sex with "countless" (is that a lot? or perhaps counting is just not your strong suit?) of women means you are a man (in addition to an education). It seems you have your own definition down pat.

Not sure I understand the point of the post, since you've already answered the question.
you know, this is actually a point i am curious about, despite what may seem to be a criticism of me (and no, you are mistaken about my definition, but i do think it's a contributing factor... e.g., overcoming fear of rejection by women)

truly, look at what young men focus on today: getting laid. it's damn near the number one priority for most young men. and that was a premise i put out earlier in this thread, is the modern rite of passage for boys becoming men getting laid and how often?

Quote:
but let me suggest something controversial for the sake of discussion: men now define "being a man" and masculinity by how often you get laid and how hot your squeeze is --could be your wife, gf, date or ONS, but the quality of woman who your f*cking is a reflection of your masculinity in our society today. you are still the hunter, and your catch reflects your abilities.

yes, i'm serious. it's not the college experience, not the kind of job you have (or don't have), not the kind of car, etc... (fyi, another alternative theory is measuring a man based on his ability to build and achieve the elements of the American Dream: good job, wife, home family... but how is that working out for defining masculinity?)
yes, i know it seems trite, immature, etc.... but what else is there that we, as a culture and society, that defines a man? and just look at the responses to this thread suggesting it's misguided just to even ask about or think about it, like it's no longer relevant how to become a man... just BE since you have a penis.

you wanna know what i've come to this theory conclusion? because women have sex with and are the selectors of men who have the best capacity to propagate the male species, men who have traits, characteristics, and qualities of men who can best compete in the survival of the fit game of life.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:

yes, i know it seems trite, immature, etc.... but what else is there that we, as a culture and society, that defines a man? and just look at the responses to this thread suggesting it's misguided just to even ask about or think about it, like it's no longer relevant how to become a man... just BE since you have a penis.
It is misguided. Why the F do you need a definition? Jesus Christ. I can't believe a man would even ponder these things, there is no point. Just live your damn life.

And males aren't a "species", and social darwinism, is well, oh F it...

And I didn't focus on getting laid when I was younger. It was part of it. But I focused on school, on rocking out, on work, on having fun... same as I do 20 years later. It wasn't to have any rite of passage, it was because I wanted to do it.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is misguided. Why the F do you need a definition? Jesus Christ. I can't believe a man would even ponder these things, there is no point. Just live your damn life.

And males aren't a "species", and social darwinism, is well, oh F it...
apparently, there was a time when cultures did (and DO) think this is an important. and yes, even Jesus Christ went through a "rite of passage" as i noted earlier.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:40 AM

477 posts, read 314,648 times
What right-of-passage does there need to be? Once any man or woman has grown up, gotten educated, gotten a job, a place of their own and are self-sufficient ... that's pretty much it! Welcome to Manhood, Womanhood, ADULThood.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
apparently, there was a time when cultures did (and DO) think this is an important. and yes, even Jesus Christ went through a "rite of passage" as i noted earlier.

Yeah, and there was a time. Past tense. If you want to go kill a leopard with a spear to prove yourself, go ahead.

Most of us, here, live in a more modern world. Thankfully.

(Sure, there are some religious ceremonies, etc that are traditional surrounding it, but no one, no one, really considers a 13 yo that went through a bar mitzvah really a "man".)

Old 04-16-2015, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
What right-of-passage does there need to be? Once any man or woman has grown up, gotten educated, gotten a job, a place of their own and are self-sufficient ... that's pretty much it! Welcome to Manhood, Womanhood, ADULThood.
Dead right

I'd like to add to that one important part of being an adult is to not give a **** about some random, self-important chuckle head tell you how to live your life instead of worrying about themselves.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Dead right

I'd like to add to that one important part of being an adult is to not give a **** about some random, self-important chuckle head tell you how to live your life instead of worrying about themselves.
that's right, mindset, being able to kick ass and dealing with azzholes is just part of sharpening a man's survival skill set in modern times. that's fairly evident, whether socially, in business, or earning a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology