Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times

Advertisements

Looking back on myself and personal development, I've admittedly spent too much time in front of a TV screen.
Whether it was a regular TV set, or a laptop screen, or a smartphone, I feel as though my personality, specifically the masculinity, seems more caricatured and cartoonish at times.
Being an avid watcher of Star Trek, MASH, and even western movies like Tombstone and such, I often notice my voice and reactions to every day life seems to match those of being a mixture of how I viewed different tv and film characters.

In essence, I feel my whole life is imitating art and that without it, I feel as though I would've been plain and eerily cardboard as a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Did you have a father, or any male role models in real life?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Not a problem for me...

I had my paid TV disconnected 14 years ago. I read books mostly and walk my dogs around the neighborhood - talk to REAL PEOPLE! (I watch older VCR movies while eating.)

Old 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you have a father, or any male role models in real life?
Worked all the time and that was about it.
So short answer, NO.

And I pretty much sucked at the leadership role of de facto oldest sibling, so that was a laughable experience.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Oh, sure!

Take my concept of dating. He picks you up, you have a good time, he takes you home, he goes home to his place.

"Major Nelson gets dressed, goes out to pick her up, they have a good time, he comes home alone........"

Old 04-26-2015, 02:43 AM

74 posts, read 94,962 times
I think the media does shape the way people think. What we find attractive in others, what is considered "normal" and so on. When I was a kid I used to watch TV shows like Growing Pains, Cosby Show, Family Ties, Fresh Prince, etc... and all the kids were always so popular, and had friends. I used to grow up thinking that was the normal way a child should live. I felt left out that my childhood was not as fulfilling.

Sure you had "nerds" back then, but they were very weird, like Steve Urkel, or Carlton...I did not fit in either category and often felt left out. I used to hide alot of what I was feeling to my parentsand others because I was embarresed as a male. I did often emulate what I saw on tv and looking back now I am really not too proud of it.

Now as an adult (who really does not follow what they see on tv anymore) I can tell and notice who does watch tv and how they adopt the slang they see on tv, or the fashions, even the style of rudness they emulate from tv shows, etc...

But both men and women in general tend to adopt the personalities they see on tv. You can tell who watches Fox News, CNN, etc... You can tell who is addicted to reality shows, gossip and daytime talk shows. You can tell who is into sci-fi, or who mostly watches sitcoms, or anime.

The media does brainwash people, and like sheep, people follow the herd and really can't think for themselves.

Of course there are some people who dont watch any tv, and you can usually tell those type of people as well from their personalities, because watching tv and spending hours a day on the internet has become normal and actually encouraged.

Last edited by Jello071; 04-26-2015 at 02:55 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
I watched a lot of TV as a kid. I deliberately shaped parts of my personality around two sitcoms (a know-it-all individualist in one and the general jokey bluntness of the other). Possibly TV also helped prevent me from being too nerdy.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM

93 posts, read 77,254 times
I watched comedy shows exclusively as a kid. That's played a major part in developing my sense of humor.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:19 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Looking back on myself and personal development, I've admittedly spent too much time in front of a TV screen.
Whether it was a regular TV set, or a laptop screen, or a smartphone, I feel as though my personality, specifically the masculinity, seems more caricatured and cartoonish at times.
Being an avid watcher of Star Trek, MASH, and even western movies like Tombstone and such, I often notice my voice and reactions to every day life seems to match those of being a mixture of how I viewed different tv and film characters.

In essence, I feel my whole life is imitating art and that without it, I feel as though I would've been plain and eerily cardboard as a box.
What you view with your eyes and say with your lips gets deposited into your own soul. So yes, you are absolutely correct. I've seen family members watch stupid low brow films like American Pie and become just like those characters over time. I don't watch garbage entertainment anymore because I truly believe they make people dumber and immoral. Which is more than likely the intended purpose.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post

Mass media plays a huge role in the social engineering of people's values, thoughts and behaviors.

Disney very well knows how to feminize young girls by sexualizing them in various character roles for which they try to imitate.

Ever watch how kids like to pretend they are Heman? Or Superman and they bounce off walls and fly in capes?

It's the power of visual communication arts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology