Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
If another woman has unkempt feet, I wonder why she can't get it together. Cracked heels are a common thing I see. If you can afford to get them fixed, the least you could do is use a moisturizer so that they don't look horrible.

If a woman has a manicure or pedicure, and her nails are growing out then it's time for her to redo her nails. If her nails are all chipped, then that's an issue too.

ETA: I don't bond with the other ladies when getting my nails done. I just watch TV (the news). And I hate it when my manicurist or pedicurist asks me a whole bunch of questions (same goes for hair stylist). Just do my nails, dammit.
Same here. I don't want to chat with my hairdresser. Just do my hair please. As for the nail thing, I chew mine, but short and evenly. I don't do it all the way down to the quick. It's weird, but I've been unable to stop the habit. Oddly enough, that's one attribute my fiancee found attractive about me. She said she would not have dated me if I had long nails when she met me because long nails turn her off, whether natural or artificial. She doesn't care that I bite mine. I don't get that at all, but it's great for me. I think the idea of female bonding via manicures might be more of a younger woman thing, it's it's true at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I only had a manicure once in my life. I couldn't handle long nails and the color came off quickly since I am a very practical woman and do a lot of stuff around the house and yard. I couldn't do anything with these long fake nails and they weren't even that long.

However, the one time I had nice fake nails, I felt extremely feminine and noticed that I move my hands more graciously. It felt awesome.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Interesting question. I too have noticed that professional manicures have become a huge thing. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I don't recall ever seeing a nail salon. Everyone painted their own nails, just as we did all of our other personal grooming. When I first heard of professional manicures, I actually thought it was odd that someone would pay someone else to do that. It would be like paying someone else to put my lipstick on me!

Of course, by now, nail salons are everywhere, and most people I know go on a regular basis. I have had one or two mani's in my life, and three or four pedi's. Pedicures I understand people paying for on a regular basis. They feel so good, feet really do need some serious attention, plus as we get older it's harder for some people to reach their feet.

But I don't understand when/how women lost the ability to paint their own fingernails. I do my own (fingers and toes, actually), and often get compliments on them. I love bright colors, dark colors, even the fun neon colors! I even did my own French manicures when they were all the rage.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Interesting question. I too have noticed that professional manicures have become a huge thing. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I don't recall ever seeing a nail salon. Everyone painted their own nails, just as we did all of our other personal grooming. When I first heard of professional manicures, I actually thought it was odd that someone would pay someone else to do that. It would be like paying someone else to put my lipstick on me!

Of course, by now, nail salons are everywhere, and most people I know go on a regular basis. I have had one or two mani's in my life, and three or four pedi's. Pedicures I understand people paying for on a regular basis. They feel so good, feet really do need some serious attention, plus as we get older it's harder for some people to reach their feet.

But I don't understand when/how women lost the ability to paint their own fingernails. I do my own (fingers and toes, actually), and often get compliments on them. I love bright colors, dark colors, even the fun neon colors! I even did my own French manicures when they were all the rage.
Women work way more and more single moms are around - they don't have the time and patience to do it at home. They like to get pampered in a salon and relax after a stressful day/week at work. At home, they often don't have the peacefulness and quietness to sit down and focus on their nails.

And of course there are those women whose belly is in the way and they can't reach their feet anymore and need to get a professional pedicure. Mani + pedi combined = discount and a pretty good deal.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Women work way more and more single moms are around - they don't have the time and patience to do it at home. They like to get pampered in a salon and relax after a stressful day/week at work. At home, they often don't have the peacefulness and quietness to sit down and focus on their nails.

And of course there are those women whose belly is in the way and they can't reach their feet anymore and need to get a professional pedicure. Mani + pedi combined = discount and a pretty good deal.
How much do you CD'ers pay for mani &/or pedi in your area? I've only gone once since we moved to San Antonio a year ago, and I was kinda shocked to pay $60 ($75 with tip) for a pedi. I'd rather buy a nice new top or costume jewelry for that much money....something that will look good for more than a week!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
Ladies only. Please explain why nails and manicures get so much focus in our country. I don't want the "fashion and grooming" schtick. I want to know what you think the deeper significance of this is all about, from a behavioral standpoint.

For example, do you think nails/manicures are a means of "bonding" between women? For example, do you think women judge other women by their nails and manicures and thus women with the same attention to nails gravitate to each other? Do women ostracize other women based on nails?

Do you think women with perfectly groomed nails tend to be princesses and the type who don't want to get their hands dirty or do any manual work like gardening?

There are just a wide range of nails out there and it seems like kind of a statement. Not just a fashion statement but a behavioral statement. There are some women who don't do their nails at all, others who opt for short, neutral colored nails, and yet others who like the flamboyant looks such as black nails or bright green nails or cutesy little designs on their nails or 1 inch long nails.

Kind of made me think of tribes and cultures and preening. Like, did you ever see pictures of women in certain jungle tribes who decorate themselves by putting pieces of wood in their ear lobes?

So, do think nails are meant to be more than a fashion statement in our culture then?
Not for most of us. I get pedis for a couple of reasons, neither of which has to do with bonding or making any sort of statement. Some of us can't do this for ourselves, you know. So we have someone else do it for for us. Its along the line of getting a haircut. That is another thing I can't do for myself.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:13 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
How much do you CD'ers pay for mani &/or pedi in your area? I've only gone once since we moved to San Antonio a year ago, and I was kinda shocked to pay $60 ($75 with tip) for a pedi. I'd rather buy a nice new top or costume jewelry for that much money....something that will look good for more than a week!
Mine are sculptured nails that require me to go in for fill-ins every 2 weeks. I pay $20 each time, plus $5.00 tip. My natural nails are awful, they bend right over and won't grow long but they look awesome now and the polish lasts a full 2 weeks. To me it is well worth it. I still don't have them long though, they are only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch past my finger ends.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:26 PM

208 posts, read 257,798 times
The issue that women need it to pamper themselves a little bit is a good point. Thanks for the thoughts. I never thought of the fact that it's a means of relaxation for women who are so busy working and taking care of kids.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
A chance to feel pampered, an indulgence when one can afford it because it is really a totally unnecessary expense. Then, there is the competition thing between women. I just clip mine off and keep them clean over my entire lifetime.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
A chance to feel pampered, an indulgence when one can afford it because it is really a totally unnecessary expense. Then, there is the competition thing between women. I just clip mine off and keep them clean over my entire lifetime.
If someone can afford it what does it matter if it's necessary or not?

I've never thought of being in competition with other women when it comes to manicures or pedicures. I get pedicures during the summer because I like my feet to look well groomed in sandals and they're relaxing to me. I have gotten weekly manicures in the past but leave my nails short and natural now because the polish chips too easily when I am gardening or working with my dogs and I hate the way chipped polish looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology