Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times

Advertisements

I used to work with this guy who was always wanting free or cheap things even if he didn't NEED those things. Anytime he had a coupon or mail in rebate for something, he would buy it. He was always rummaging through catalogues and magazines, and stuff looking for deals. Sometimes he would even ask us what the products were. He was always seeking out this stuff. One time there were pizzas and chips in the break room and someone saw him stuffing as much as he could into his bag. He was even caught trying to shove some ducks in his truck. He said he was going to eat them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 03:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've worked in mental health for over 2 decades, and I've probably been more alarmed by strange behaviors in my colleagues than in my clients. Some strange behaviors I've witnessed in people who were not diagnosed with any mental illness:

--A psychiatrist I used to work with would pick up crumbs off the table in the lunch room, whether or not they were his crumbs, and eat them while we'd be having a conversation.

--A co-worker in a cubicle talks or "thinks out loud" to himself all through the work day.

--Another co-worker (a dance/movement therapist I just mentioned in another thread) would break into a dance move in the midst of every conversation (pirouetting around a room for example), saying that's how she likes to express her emotions.

--A colleague "rocks" in his chair during staff meetings.

--A colleague, another mental health professional, who draws little demonic figures all over her papers while sitting in meetings.
SO True!

Some examples of past co-workers:

- I had a male boss who would eat food off my plate while in meetings.

- Another director would purposely come to work in sweatpants every day without brushing her hair because that was her way of saying "F-U" to the system. (Everyone else wore business casual or above.)

- Another was completely emeshed w his patients and would give them money, rides, and pay for odd jobs around his house. Last I heard he got fired or quit a great position because they wouldn't give him "paternity leave."

- Another co-worker many years ago got fired for making 900# calls on the company's phone. (Most suspected gambling but I don't rule out phone sex.)

- One kept a 2 litter bottle in his desk for spit from his tobacco chew.

- One customer service rep made up a fake name to use with patients because she didn't want them to be prejudice yet she had the thickest Spanish accent out of all the reps.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:28 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:

--A colleague, another mental health professional, who draws little demonic figures all over her papers while sitting in meetings.
LOL!!!

I'm one who will rock if the chair lets me, but probably not to the point of distraction the whole meeting.

In last Wednesday's staff meeting, my co-worker was drawing little "demonic" figures on her notepad and writing in Chinese. She was cracking me up, although I couldn't laugh out loud.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:41 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
What are some strange behaviors that you have noticed in others, perhaps it could have been in grade school, high school or college..... maybe as adults in the work place or in other situations.
Everyone is has some weirdness factor going for them. You've got to narrow this thing down for us, OP. Most of the time, when someone speaks of people being strange, it's because others don't act/think like they do

Old 05-10-2015, 03:47 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
One strange behavior I encountered a few years ago took place when I came across a fellow worker leaving the building where I work. This worker happens to work in another building several miles away. I said hello, and asked if she was still working there, and she became very upset and hostile and started saying all these unpleasant things to me, as though I had just insulted her in the worst possible way.

I was shocked, because it all happened right out of the blue... completely unexpected. All I could do was look and witness what was going on.... until she finally walked away...... never heard another word from her. The people that were there and saw this were equally amazed.
That's the thing, you never know what might set someone off.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:43 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
I've worked in mental health for over 2 decades, and I've probably been more alarmed by strange behaviors in my colleagues than in my clients. Some strange behaviors I've witnessed in people who were not diagnosed with any mental illness:

--A psychiatrist I used to work with would pick up crumbs off the table in the lunch room, whether or not they were his crumbs, and eat them while we'd be having a conversation.

--A co-worker in a cubicle talks or "thinks out loud" to himself all through the work day.

--Another co-worker (a dance/movement therapist I just mentioned in another thread) would break into a dance move in the midst of every conversation (pirouetting around a room for example), saying that's how she likes to express her emotions.

LOL

The weirdest people I knew in college were the psych majors. I think many of them chose that major so they could figure out why they were so screwed up.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Everyone is has some weirdness factor going for them. You've got to narrow this thing down for us, OP. Most of the time, when someone speaks of people being strange, it's because others don't act/think like they do
Behavior you observed that you thought was out of the ordinary.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:15 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
That's the thing, you never know what might set someone off.
True... one never knows. I thought that maybe she had a bad experience with someone else that morning and was just looking for an easy target to release her anger on.... or maybe it was just an opportunity that presented itself to her and out spewed her anger.... who knows?

Old 09-11-2023, 04:50 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post

Wow. Yikes!! LOL

Old 09-12-2023, 10:35 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
For a couple of years my daughter dated a man with Tourette Syndrome. Before she brought him home to meet us she gave us a heads up that he might blurt something out or make uncontrolled twitchy motions.

He was just the nicest guy, owned his own successful business. Really had taken care of himself to get his symptoms under control.

But I could see how it could be startling to someone who didn't know what he was dealing with.

I had an acquaintance with obsessive-compulsive disorder who wiped his hands whenever he had to touch anything someone else had handed him. I was always reminded of the old grade school taunt that a person had "cooties" when he did that. It could really feel insulting when he did it to me. Heh.

Our friendship dissolved when he started focusing on how much did I like him and was there anything about him that bothered me. He'd call repeatedly and no answer I gave could satisfy him. Poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology