Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:47 AM

676 posts, read 936,602 times

Advertisements

My husband is 67 years old and is on a lot of meds including pain pills. We are going on vacation for a month and he has mentioned he would like to have a beer every now and then. BUT, one turns into two but it will NOT turn into 3. I don't like him at all when he drinks beer. He gets the largest,most alcohol in a can he can find. I don't want him to drink at all but it will be a constant battle if I don't give in. He thinks this is an excuse to start drinking beer again. I don't know what to do. Let him have one once in a while, every other day or what would you say to help me ??? It is tearing me up inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
My husband is 67 years old and is on a lot of meds including pain pills. We are going on vacation for a month and he has mentioned he would like to have a beer every now and then. BUT, one turns into two but it will NOT turn into 3. I don't like him at all when he drinks beer. He gets the largest,most alcohol in a can he can find. I don't want him to drink at all but it will be a constant battle if I don't give in. He thinks this is an excuse to start drinking beer again. I don't know what to do. Let him have one once in a while, every other day or what would you say to help me ??? It is tearing me up inside
I think you should talk to his doctor- the drinking may or may not be a problem itself, but he could accidentally kill himself if he combines alcohol with 'a lot of meds.'

Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Does he actually have pain?

Is he drinking to forget the pain?

Did he only drink during the vacation?

What's the story?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:12 PM

He has had chronic pain for years. He had Perthe's Disease where the ball and socket in his hips did not fit smoothly. He had to lay in traction for months at a time when he was 4 or 5. He has a rotator cuff that can only be resolved by a total shoulder replacement. Broken ankle years ago. He is going to a reputable pain clinic for meds. When he gets his shoulder fixed he wants to get off the pain meds, they are poison. Kidney Disease, heart disease, quad bypass 3 stents and a pacemaker. He did drink some when he was young and I guess he likes it. It takes some of the pain away but I DO NOT like him when he has had even one beer. That is not him and I don't like it. He's not mean or anything, he loves to listen to music, etc. He thinks since we are on vacation he can drink a beer "once in awhile". Your all's thoughts.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Based on what you wrote, it's really hard to tell. I'm very familiar with alcoholism (not me). There just aren't enough details here.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
He's your husband, not your minor son. How can you stop a grown man from drinking? He doesn't need your permission.

Tell him how you feel and let him decide. This will be a real indicator of your connection as a couple.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 AM

He is a grown man with a lot of meds on board all the time and I am afraid he will fall and hit his head or break his hip. Anyway I'm giving up. He won.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Based on what you wrote, it's really hard to tell. There just aren't enough details here.
True. There are many online tests that one can take that may indicate alcohol abuse, but he'd have to be honest with his answers for it to be of any help.
https://ncadd.org/learn-about-alcoho...buse-self-test

Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
You should be more concerned with the affect the alcohol has in regards to his medication than the number of beers he may have. If his doctor says it is not a problem to have a couple beers from time to time I don't see the issue.

If you did not like drinking and he drank when you met and married him then why did you marry him?

Honestly, a grown man should not have to ask permission from his wife to have a few beers from time to time.

In regards to your question in the title of this thread.........No, your husband is not an alcoholic.

This is a good article regarding alcoholism and there are many others available online. Perhaps a bit of research is in order.

Alcoholism - Mayo Clinic

PS ~~ If I were you I would cancel the vacation because you have stated "he won" which will possibly cause issues while you are on vacation because you are going to resent him for having a couple beers.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Yes he is an alcoholic if he can't stop drinking alcohol when his life depends on it and his doctor tells him not to drink alcohol!

Some medications (prescription as well as OVER-THE-COUNTER! [Read all labels and prescribing information]) can have SERIOUS life threatening interactions when taken with alcohol.

With that said, inform his doctor he is drinking alcohol and tell him what percentage/amount of alcohol. "One beer" may equal 2 or 3 beers if a large can and a high percentage of alcohol.

Other than that, if you tell your husband he should not drink alcohol and he continues, nothing more you can do. May want to increase his life insurance policy and be sure the payments are made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology