Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:18 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

In my big city, there are lots of enormous stores with equally huge parking lots. I have noticed many times that people develop road rage (parking rage?) fighting over parking spaces. I find this puzzling. Why does a stupid parking space matter so much? In quite a few of these rage instances, there are many other spots available. Yet customers will actually get into physical fights or yelling matches if they don't get whichever parking space they feel they are entitled to. Or they will wait several minutes, blocking traffic, while an already parked customer loads their crap in their car so they can get that special parking space. Costco and IKEA are particularly bad about causing rage in the customers attempting to park. How hard is it to just be courteous, let another customer have a closer space, and park further away? Is it that difficult to walk an extra 20 feet? I've never gotten angry about parking spaces. If I can't get a close one, I just look for another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
In my big city, there are lots of enormous stores with equally huge parking lots. I have noticed many times that people develop road rage (parking rage?) fighting over parking spaces. I find this puzzling. Why does a stupid parking space matter so much? In quite a few of these rage instances, there are many other spots available. Yet customers will actually get into physical fights or yelling matches if they don't get whichever parking space they feel they are entitled to. Or they will wait several minutes, blocking traffic, while an already parked customer loads their crap in their car so they can get that special parking space. Costco and IKEA are particularly bad about causing rage in the customers attempting to park. How hard is it to just be courteous, let another customer have a closer space, and park further away? Is it that difficult to walk an extra 20 feet? I've never gotten angry about parking spaces. If I can't get a close one, I just look for another
In my town, the parking-lot rage goes even farther. Several times I've come back to my car to find a nasty note someone left on my windshield! And like you, I've noticed it tends to happen mostly in the lots belonging to those big-box venues and discount places. Once, on a Sunday morning, when the lot at my grocery store was almost completely empty, someone left a nasty note because my parking job overlapped the space dividing line. As if it mattered--the lot only had 3 other cars it it!

Parking lot rage; I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I don't get it either. I don't get the waiting for a space and blocking EVERYONE else for 5 minutes. What I really dont get is when I get into my car and someone is waiting for my space and I don't pull out right away. I dont text or call and drive (my kids would kill me), so I am in a habit of doing those things when I get back to my car, before I pull out. I have been honked at and flipped off for not moving right away.

Oh or the slow stalking of a person as they walk back to their car. Creepy and a little over the top.

But I really don't get it when people clearly steal a spot (hey I was actually at the moment pulling in there) or think someone has stole theirs. I might think someone is a jerk but life is too short to stew on it. I pretend they must be 8 months pregnant or have a broken foot and need to park 20 feet closer.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:40 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In my town, the parking-lot rage goes even farther. Several times I've come back to my car to find a nasty note someone left on my windshield! And like you, I've noticed it tends to happen mostly in the lots belonging to those big-box venues and discount places. Once, on a Sunday morning, when the lot at my grocery store was almost completely empty, someone left a nasty note because my parking job overlapped the space dividing line. As if it mattered--the lot only had 3 other cars it it!

Parking lot rage; I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Thanks for posting.
I have to admit that is a pet peeve of mine. I would never leave a note but it annoys me when I see big SUV's parked crooked or over the line. Keep in mind if your vehicle is over the line and someone hits it pulling in or bangs the side when opening their door, lawfully they would not be responsible for the damage.

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 02-07-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
I make it a point to park at the far end of a parking lot. I look at it as a little mini excerise session and enjoy the weather. Many Americans should start doing the same thing.
An insightful read on this topic (kinda): How to walk across a parking lot

Old 02-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't get it either. I don't get the waiting for a space and blocking EVERYONE else for 5 minutes. What I really dont get is when I get into my car and someone is waiting for my space and I don't pull out right away. I dont text or call and drive (my kids would kill me), so I am in a habit of doing those things when I get back to my car, before I pull out. I have been honked at and flipped off for not moving right away.

Oh or the slow stalking of a person as they walk back to their car. Creepy and a little over the top.

But I really don't get it when people clearly steal a spot (hey I was actually at the moment pulling in there) or think someone has stole theirs. I might think someone is a jerk but life is too short to stew on it. I pretend they must be 8 months pregnant or have a broken foot and need to park 20 feet closer.
Exactly. A parking spot doesn't BELONG to someone. It doesn't have his/her name on it. Whoever can park there. So why do these people get so offended? I have heard people yelling. "YOU STOLE MY PARKING SPOT!!!" Um, no. It's not yours. It belongs to the store.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
IF a person sees you going for a spot and they just zoom in like an arrogant arse.Yes I will be pissed.In the old days before cameras, that car would of got keyed.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I got keyed once and had no idea why. I am a very friendly driver. I always "give up" the spot if there is a challenge. I never intentionally **** anyone off driving. I have never had a moving violation or caused an accident. I give a friendly wave when people let me merge. If I screw up, I give the "i'm so sorry" sheepish wave.

Keying someones car is a very significant act of vandalism. I got a quote and it was 1k.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
What bugs me (since we brought up the issue of being over the line) is when somebody parks their car completely sideways and takes up two spots in a lot with very limited parking. They think they're protecting their car from dings or whatever, but why doesn't it occur to them that some people WILL be willing to key their car, thus causing more damage than they had the potential of receiving in the first place?

Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
What bugs me (since we brought up the issue of being over the line) is when somebody parks their car completely sideways and takes up two spots in a lot with very limited parking. They think they're protecting their car from dings or whatever, but why doesn't it occur to them that some people WILL be willing to key their car, thus causing more damage than they had the potential of receiving in the first place?
We had that issue a few weeks ago. Gf and I went to a tiny restaurant, and the place had only 10 parking spaces at a very popular restaurant that sat 50+ people. There were 2 cars parked over the line! Parking over the line annoys me, and normally I just think, "That idiot parked over the line," and find another space. However, this area was highly residential, had NO PARKING signs everywhere, and finding other parking spaces often entails a walk of several blocks. Because of these people's carelessness (or was it selfishness?), the already tiny lot had two fewer spaces. I was hopping mad then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology