Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

If you are determined to get on antidepressant meds, your only real recourse will be to go to a mental health professional who is able to diagnose depression and prescribe medication (i.e. not every mental health professional). Even so, the person you go to may not agree that you fit the bill for depression, or may not agree to prescribing particular drugs. Mental health professional vary in the approaches they use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:23 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Oh, and you can start feeling better right now by not reading people's Facebook pages. People only put the good stuff on there. They skip the bad stuff. So, if Facebook makes you depressed, don't read it.
FB is only a snapshot of what's going on in people's lives. Usually, people protraying happy & fulfilled with their family & friends. Although, I've seen some do air their dirty layndry on FB.

I've struggled with lonliness as well all my life that has got worse since getting older. Having pets help tremendously. Create your oen happiness would be my best suggestion

Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Have you tried counseling to understand why you're having a hard time getting into and staying in a long term relationship? If you have issues with emotional intimacy, so will the men you choose which is a recipe for disaster. Spoken from personal experience, called a counselor at your age for exactly the same reasons/feelings, worked HARD through it, married 2 years later, now a mom of a 9 year old. Counseling works IF you work it (and find a great counselor).

Old 05-15-2015, 05:19 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Counseling should help. And even if it doesn't in the "conventional way," it will provide someone to talk to weekly.

I have 2 cats. One is the perfect "emotional support pet." Always jumping up on me and purring! I feel less alone when I give them affection.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:27 AM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times
There is no magic solution for negativistic victim mind set except lots of hard work to help your distorted thought process evolve to a healthier condition. Boom! Not what you want to hear. And yes, exercise, meditation, good sleep hygiene, proper nutrition and extending one's self to others usually in the form of volunteering DOES help but you have made the decision that they don't work, I'd be willing to bet you've never applied these things, too much work, taking "a pill" is easier. An equally important issue that is so common is our perception that everyone else has it better, more love, more money, better job and on and on and on. Facebook and instagram are so misleading and downright false, so stay off those sights and stay reality based in your life. Everyone has problems, we are all flawed, but we are the master's of how we conduct our lives. So instead of pouting and whining, and hanging out on brainwashing social media sites, take a different direction. At the age of 33 I can't baby you, thats the last thing you need. Read Norman Vincent Peale s Positive Thinking, an excellent "pill" for your brain.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM

971 posts, read 688,204 times
If your profile pic is really you, hang in there, you will find someone. You are georgeous.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernblonde82 View Post
don't say meditate, enjoy a new hobby..volunteer..none of that works..for people who don't know what true loneliness feels like I will tell you those things do not work.
That stuff actually does work, but it will take time, commitment and a positive attitude. There is no one else who can provide those ingredients than you. Not a boyfriend, not a doctor, not a Rx, only you.

You are suffering from a negative perception of yourself, and it is unrealistic. You need to appreciate and celebrate your independence and don't fall into the mindset that you must be dependent on someone else to be happy. Once you become more engaged with other people you will quickly realize we are all suffering from the same things, its just some of those suffering have families. Some don't. Some are married, some divorced. Some are single.

Your happiness is like a savings account, you can't take out what you have not already put in. Money has no meaning to those who don't work for it.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
If your profile pic is really you, hang in there, you will find someone. You are georgeous.
She's already found a lot of people. It's not a matter of her appearance. She chooses to be involved with people who do not treat her well.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM

622 posts, read 526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernblonde82 View Post
The last few days it's really hit me. I'm 33, never married and no children..I've been so depressed and spent all weekend in my house. Everywhere I look and everyone I know my age who I went to school with posts their happy smiling family pictures on facebook. I long to be like them. I'm so sad..Now my self esteem is so low. I feel I must not be as good as the other girls bc I haven't been "picked"..It just feels like I wake up everyday with that over my head that feeling of "last one picked for the team"..I want to have a husband and my own family so bad and I feel so alienated from everyone else..Sometimes I've though does God not like me? Mean girls who aren't even attractive found their husbands their first go around. I have had my heart broken more times then I can count..I'm having a hard time understanding why i feel so undesirable..The last one left me after 6 months but he did not even say goodbye. I didn't even get a text to say "sorry this is not working". He just disappeared. I'm crushed and it's been 3 months and I'm still not over it..I feel like I need to get on medicine this depression is killing me..I have lived feeling this way to long. Does anyone know of a medication at least for now that can numb me out or make me fake happy? don't say meditate, enjoy a new hobby..volunteer..none of that works..for people who don't know what true loneliness feels like I will tell you those things do not work.
You're only 33 years-old and a pretty girl! If I was younger, I'd propose immediately!

Try to do something different with your life that brings you into contact with other people in a non-agressive way. For example, consider learning another language. You can go to evening classes which will bring you into contact with like-minded individuals and you'll also gain an additional ability. German is a good language to learn and will also open many doors to better paid jobs.

Take a foreign holiday somewhere. I don't mean the package type with hotel & flight prebooked, but buy a ticket to Europe and then go wherever your fancy takes you. You'll meet lots of new people and it'll broaden your horizons immensely. You could even try this option if you don't want to be alone: https://www.couchsurfing.com/

Organisations like this one might be of interest too: Find your people - Meetup

Whatever you do though, don't give up. You've still got many happy years ahead of you believe me.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Surprisingly, Bach Flower Essences work very well on depression!! At Whole Foods..
Gorse is one.
After a break up years ago I used it and felt the difference THAT evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology