Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times

Advertisements

Yerp, if I was bipolar -

1. everyone would understand it
2. I would be able to pop a pill
3. I would be able to access appropriate treatment
4. I probably wouldn't be getting called "immature" and "childish"

BPD is a whole nother beast.

Marsha Linehan said herself - its like having 3rd degree burns. You simply have NO emotional skin, you are as sensitive as a baby.

You may as well blame someone for having blue eyes - its something they simply cannot change.

I can only learn to cope with it better and go into remission, but even that takes years of intensive therapy.

I blame it all on my abusers and am struggling with brand new feelings of anger and grief over how that child was treated.

Its only been since diagnosis I realized all the flashbacks ive had regarding beatings are likely accurate. That in itself is traumatizing.

But hey! I should just grow up! Grow a functional amygdala I suppose! let me know when you figure out HOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 04:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yerp, if I was bipolar -

1. everyone would understand it
2. I would be able to pop a pill
3. I would be able to access appropriate treatment
4. I probably wouldn't be getting called "immature" and "childish"

BPD is a whole nother beast.

Marsha Linehan said herself - its like having 3rd degree burns. You simply have NO emotional skin, you are as sensitive as a baby.

You may as well blame someone for having blue eyes - its something they simply cannot change.

I can only learn to cope with it better and go into remission, but even that takes years of intensive therapy.

I blame it all on my abusers and am struggling with brand new feelings of anger and grief over how that child was treated.

Its only been since diagnosis I realized all the flashbacks ive had regarding beatings are likely accurate. That in itself is traumatizing.

But hey! I should just grow up! Grow a functional amygdala I suppose! let me know when you figure out HOW!
Good luck in your treatment.
Someone harassing another over their illness & treatment is lacking within themselves. Put it on ignore, doubt you'll miss anything, anyway

Old 07-01-2015, 04:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Can we stop with the comparisons? BPD is a horrible life altering illness that effects not only the sufferer but their whole family and friends unit.

Neither have it the "hardest", being on either side of this illness sucks.

You've never done DBT or CBT, I can promise that it is every but as hard, difficult, uncomfortable and painful as being a loved one of someone with this illness.

Comparing these 2 groups is like apples to oranges. It sucks for everyone.

I'm undergoing CBT right now.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:23 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm undergoing CBT right now.
There should of been an if there. Though if you're going through CBT then you do know what it's like and how hard it is.

Saying one side has it worse (patient vs loved ones) is very black and white thinking.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
For you all who have not seen this site: Out of the FOG - Personality Disorder Support

Great support offered here and provides a wealth of information for ones who have been with someone who suffers from BPD.

BPD sufferers you too need support from others like yourself: Borderline Personality Support Group

May you all learn something from these support sites. My encounter was with a boyfriend when young, and not understanding, but when I became an adult and started a friendship with him I was knowledgeable and ended that friendship immediately. I was so enlightened, and I then understood why he would always want to breakup and makeup when we were teenagers. He was 14 and I was 13. When he told me he had been married three times, the radar went off, but even after I ended the friendship as adults he married again, and it appears that the marriage did not last long based on what I see on his public FB page. I am not saying that all serial marriages are a result of BPD, but we must be aware of the RED FLAGS! I personally am not built that way to tolerate the behaviors of BPD, Narcissistics, and BULLIES!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
There should of been an if there. Though if you're going through CBT then you do know what it's like and how hard it is.

Saying one side has it worse (patient vs loved ones) is very black and white thinking.
I didn't say that actually I'm just saying that I choose not to associate with BPD. I think I can make that decision if I choose to.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:13 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
I didn't say that actually I'm just saying that I choose not to associate with BPD. I think I can make that decision if I choose to.
Quote:
The treatment may be difficult, but, it certainly can't compare to the toll that BPD take on others.
That reads like a comparison to me.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
That reads like a comparison to me.

You misunderstood me.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM

76 posts, read 76,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Of course mental illness exists. Some have chemical imbalances as their cause (literally not secreting the same amount of serotonin as a "normal" person) but others are behavioral maladaptations (such as BPD).
Yet no one has ever proved empirically that such imbalances do exist. No "mental ilness" is diagnosed by checking the levels of various chemicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yes, real illnesses are discovered in a scientific manner.
False! They're proposed and voted into existence at the APA. That's not how science works, that's how politics works.

Quote:
If something is wrong with the body, it can manifest itself in all kinds of ways, including behavior problems.
There's an extraordinarily huge difference between something physically "wrong" (clear, verifiable damage, white cells fighting infections, tumors, etc. - all verifiable in laboratory conditions) and "wrong" behaviors which are simply human opinions about what is "appropriate" and what is not "appropriate"

Quote:
Calling it mental illness makes it sound like the problem is isolated to the brain and that there's nothing actually physically wrong with the body.
Well, if an "illness" is not physical, then it only exists in the minds of those who believe it exists.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean the symptoms themselves don't exist?
The question is whether the so called symptoms are real symptoms of real illness or they're perfectly normal behavior that simply isn't liked by some other people.

Quote:
The fact that you can treat certain "mental" illnesses with medication shows that there is in fact a physical problem.
Wrong! Actually you can't really treat any kind of "mental illness" with drugs. You can only drug people to various degrees. There's a huge misunderstanding here: there are two large categories of drugs: stimulants and depressants. Stimulants have an effect similar to alcohol, while depressants are essentially tranquilizers that slow down the individual. The latter category is grossly abused and can be used to "quell" any kind of unwanted behavior. We could very well define opposition to rape as a mental illness . We could describe the symptoms and then drug the subjects with depressants until they show no signs of opposition to being raped. There's absolutely nothing fundamentally different from how other "unwanted behaviors" are being "treated" with drugs.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 PM

335 posts, read 329,515 times
Quote:
I am very well aware of all of this. I have spoke with my counselor about this at some length. I have done much reading about Marsha. I still choose NOT to associate with these people as I have done my time. That is my decision and I am free to make those decisions now. The treatment may be difficult, but, it certainly can't compare to the toll that BPD take on others. This is my point......
I certainly never suggested you associate with anyone suffering with BPD. In fact just the opposite. Several times in this thread I said that, absent any compelling reason, no one should feel any need to endure the emotional cycling and assaults common in BPD relationships. Absolutely walk away.

Quote:
The treatment may be difficult, but, it certainly can't compare to the toll that BPD take on others.
Again I point out, it's not a conscious choice to suffer, nor to inflict pain. Both happen - but not by intentionally willful design. It is emotional chaos inside BPD. There is no impulse control. That has been short circuited.

Quote:
FYI....I picked up on your final little dig......you stuck in at the last minute there.
It wasn't a "dig". It was a direct message, politely sent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology