Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:21 PM

15,569 posts, read 15,591,834 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why this is in the Psychology forum. It's more an issue of etiquette, or social norms, or language trends.

In general, I can't imagine how you live, not to have noticed that there is no taboo on the word - not for the last few decades. There is also no taboo relating to gender discrimination with language.

But I think you're right about language. I think a lot of it is coming from people with not enough education or socialization to have a breadth of language. You can hear that also in the overuse of "cool" and "awesome."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:29 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,984,654 times
I detest when people don't care if other people, particularly children, are within earshot of such language.

Conversely, I'm impressed with the insertion of the F bomb for almost all parts of speech in a conversation.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:59 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,804,287 times
What I can do without is the gratuitous and excessive usage of the word "like." I really don't f-ing care about that other f-ing word, maybe because I f-ing hear it every day from inarticulate men. ("Like" is, like, literally, abused by females probably 85% of the time along with superfluous adjectives and adverbs such as the one in this example. It seems to be the distaff version of the F word, tossed into sentences almost indiscriminately because the speaker has little or nothing to actually say. Maybe it bugs me more than "F" and "F-ing" due to those being more the province of males, of which I'm one?)

Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,767,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm not sure why this is in the Psychology forum. It's more an issue of etiquette, or social norms, or language trends.
I looked for forums like that and couldn't find any, so I put it here.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
What I can do without is the gratuitous and excessive usage of the word "like." I really don't f-ing care about that other f-ing word, maybe because I f-ing hear it every day from inarticulate men. ("Like" is, like, literally, abused by females probably 85% of the time along with superfluous adjectives and adverbs such as the one in this example. It seems to be the distaff version of the F word, tossed into sentences almost indiscriminately because the speaker has little or nothing to actually say. Maybe it bugs me more than "F" and "F-ing" due to those being more the province of males, of which I'm one?)
It's not going to go away. Part of the vernacular. A study suggested that people who use the word "like" were more conscientious of the listener's feelings, and used that word as a buffer while they thought of a sensitive way to express themselves.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 PM

2,160 posts, read 2,302,898 times
A cuss word has its place sometimes. However, there is a type of superfluous cussing that just reaks of noise pollution.

I'm reminded of school-aged kids who want to be accepted as one of the cool kids.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,804,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
It's not going to go away. Part of the vernacular. A study suggested that people who use the word "like" were more conscientious of the listener's feelings, and used that word as a buffer while they thought of a sensitive way to express themselves.
Which of course, like, TOTALLY explains why you mostly hear it from women!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,767,541 times
Quote:
I rarely hear it from women, and any women who would use it often aren't the type I'd want to hang out with, let alone have a relationship. It isn't a litmus test, I just don't hear the women with whom I associate talk that way, thank goodness.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 PM

424 posts, read 380,851 times
lol, you sir are a legend! I have noticed people cussing wayyy too much (these guys sound like one of my friends), but I don't think it's a major issue...... I wish I could have seen the look on those guy's faces.....

Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Like, totally!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology