Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times

Advertisements

I hate people like that. They are trying to act "cool".

They usually tend to be low-lives anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
The F-word has its place.....

such as when I get up to discover a hairball on my freshly shampooed carpet.

Or some A-hole cuts me off in traffic.

Or a d@mn wasp is harassing me while I'm working in the gardens.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,200 times
Exclamation Watch the video.

Here we go everyone.

If you are truly interested in the psychology behind cursing and curse words, watch this. Vsauce explains it in very simple terms that are backed by science and history. Quite an interesting video here (and many of his videos are). This is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7dQh8u4Hc

Last edited by G0DDESS; 05-25-2015 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
lol, you sir are a legend! I have noticed people cussing wayyy too much (these guys sound like one of my friends), but I don't think it's a major issue...... I wish I could have seen the look on those guy's faces.....
They probably said something along the lines of "ha, what a f***in' idiot, it was probably that hippie lookin f***wad sitting behind us who didn't have the balls to say something to our face!" and went about their merry ways. That's just a guess though.

Oh, and f*ck you for being such a judgemental f*ckin pr*ck

Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
It's a useful word, from time to time, but because it's overused it loses the intended effect.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:31 PM

400 posts, read 413,848 times
My mother used to call those foul mouthed people 'short fingered slumgullians'. If men want to talk like drunken sailors amongst themselves, then by all means. But not in public where women and children may hear.

What do people how use constant curse words in everyday language use when they really need a curse word, such as when hits own thumb with a hammer? I like to use a combination of vulgarity and blasphemy.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
I've f-bombed maybe 10 times in the last year. Just don't see the point unless I really mean it.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,373,611 times
The F-bomb might be psychologically near the use of the word "like". An east coast professor actually noted in a study that the word "like" was used by tweens in a very certain place in the sentence, etc. I was on public transit and counted a kid using the F-bomb 37 times in five minutes.

So.......it turns out he was on the way to work........for ME!!! So I asked him if he knew how many times he used the word, and he guessed.......four??? Inotherwords, their "bwain" is a whack job on some undiagnosed level.

I asked my kid to cover my ears and I would cover his, and FINALLY the kid at the back of the bus noticed and caught himself. He didn't realize he was even doing it.
Two situations in two different cities.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:42 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
It's a useful word, from time to time, but because it's overused it loses the intended effect.

I agree. If you use your best in everyday conversation what do you say when someone or something pizzes you off and you need a really effective cuss word.

Since I don't when I do call somebody a #@$%^ they tend to take notice.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:19 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Sorry, but no sale.

When they apply for a job, or talk with a respected elder (parent, grandmother, priest, professor, etc.) they have a filter, unless they were raised to curse from a child.
Part of the reason they do so in public is because unlike the old days were public scorn/stigma would be attached, everyone sits in silence.
Maybe some people are afraid to speak up, but if I hear anyone cursing around women or kids, I politely ask them keep it down in mixed company.
Agreed, but they probably will struggle when they apply that filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology