Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 09:48 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times

Advertisements

If you're only in your twenties, yeah LOL, you'll probably say they're the best years of your life. For those of us older, we'll have a much bigger picture to compare the decades.

My forties were my best period (so far). The twenties were free and easy, but also sort of a waste of time and unproductive. The thirties were a time of transition. So, forties first, teens second, thirties third, and 20's in fourth place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
During my teens, I was self absorbed and hedonistic and I wasted a lot of time chasing gratification and yet always restless and never really satisfied.

In my twenties I flipped the script upon entry into motherhood, and sacrificed everything of myself to the needs of others. I was not very happy, but I thought that's what it meant to grow up...basically accepting that all of your fun is in your past and it's just a long hard slog from here.

In my thirties, I started saying, "Heck that!" and seeking some enjoyment in life for myself. This put my marriage on a road to ruin, unfortunately. Not because I was going back to being completely self absorbed or cheating on my ex or anything, but because he lives in "long, hard slog to the grave" mode, and I needed some light and color and happiness. He belittled me for wanting to be "happy" (I can still hear the word spoken in his mocking tone.) He wanted me to sit every day and hear him go on and on about how terrible everything is, and be a companion to his misery, and I wasn't having it. The more I rejected that, the more he acted out in violence and anger and destructive desperation, until we finally broke up.

The years since then, my ages 36-39 have been the best so far. I've had a great time, but I've been trying to find and hold a balance between my commitments to myself and my commitments to other people.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:23 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
"Best years of our lives" are different for everyone. By and large my 20s sucked. I had a much better third decade than second decade! My 40s have sucked, too

Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 PM

242 posts, read 262,765 times
I think 62 or something like that is the peak of happiness. (I read this).

Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
My 20s were just hellish. My 30s showed steady improvement. I'm a year or two into my 40s and I can honestly say my life is wonderful - I wake up every morning wondering how it's possible that I'm this happy, frankly.

I have three pillars in my life, I think: Friends/Family (the most important one), my dogs and my love of books and writing. Those are the things that drive me. I've been able to find a health balance for focusing on those things, and I think that is key to my current happiness.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
For me it was late 20s. I was too stupid in my early 20s, still cared somewhat what other people thought of me, to much into partying which is actually pretty boring (same thing over and over), there were some marvellous aspects fo that time, but late 20s was better.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:12 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For me it was late 20s. I was too stupid in my early 20s, still cared somewhat what other people thought of me, to much into partying which is actually pretty boring (same thing over and over), there were some marvellous aspects fo that time, but late 20s was better.
It's been three years since I posted this. I've come a long ways in terms of self-realization since then. I would still say my early twenties were the best time of my life so far. My late twenties were the worst, largely because I moved back to my small hometown, allowed my fundamentalist Christian parents to dictate everything in my life, went back in the closet about my sexuality, did ex-gay conversion therapy, etc. So far my early thirties have been an improvement over my late twenties though I still am not as happy as I was during my early twenties. Much of what is holding me back right now is the slew of poor decisions made during my late twenties. So far my thirties have been marked by increased self-confidence and slowly getting to that point where I care less what people think. I would say I am a few years behind my biological age in terms of social development.

One thing I've learned is that time always moves forward and we will never be satisfied or fulfilled chasing nostalgia.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,680,944 times
My best years were in my mid to late 30's. I was my most fit, looked better, juggled life better, and acquired more wisdom. Wouldn't re-live my 20's unless I could take more smarts with me.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
i'm only 30 but so far the past five years have been a lot better than age 20-25.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:02 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

One thing I've learned is that time always moves forward and we will never be satisfied or fulfilled chasing nostalgia.
Agreed. The key to a happier life is to live in the moment. Harping on the past is counterproductive.

And kudos to you on the progress you've made thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology