Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
I don't think anyone is taught to 'hate' homosexuals.
Plenty of people are taught to hate, to discriminate, to hold biases. It's solidly established that both nature and nurture play a role in all psychological development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,105 times
I don't believe they changed. Gay activism is kind of a fad right now for straight people. Soon they will be on to the next fad.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I don't believe they changed. Gay activism is kind of a fad right now for straight people. Soon they will be on to the next fad.
like silly bandz or Live Strong bracelets

Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,150 times
Default they are probably gay themselves

"[quote=TracySam;40212816]Warning: this is NOT a thread to debate about gay rights or same sex marriage! It's about the strange about-face I'm noticing among some people in their support of people who are gay.

I'm just mildly annoyed by it, a little amused too, and, well, curious about it.

Could all of these people have had some profound epiphany and change of heart? Are they all truly, honestly, in favor of the rights of gay people? Or are they just jumping on the bandwagon because unlike in the 80s, now it's "cool"?

I know people can and do change, but can all of these people really go from hating gay people, to the point where they torment someone, calling them gay and saying they are disgusting and should just kill themselves (when the victims were not even gay), to now painting themselves in rainbows and exclaiming about how "love wins"? "

The first thing that jumps to my mind is that they were gay themselves. It is often the gay ones who "doth protest too much".

Any person feeling insecure about something is the loudest critic you see it over and over agin. So maybe these ex bullies are gay or they did have an about face.

I think it is a great thing.

Also they are possibly followers and followers do not break tradition but follow the leads of others.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:34 PM

8,267 posts, read 8,641,305 times
People change as they age. No one is the same as they were in high school or college when they are 50. Their frame of reference is so narrow at those ages. They think they are mature but they aren't. From the bullies in high school to the ultra PC in college, they will change. They do not stay victims or offended for ever. I doubt you will find anyone with the same beliefs that they held 40 years ago.

Gay marriage went to a majority opinion faster than anything in my lifetime. In 8 years there was 20% swing on gay marriage. People met gays when they may not have known any or many before. People in their family may have come out. They may live among gays now. Many, many reasons. And yes, a few of them may have realized that they were gay.

You will see it with pot next. I know few people under 70 that never smoked pot and the poll numbers are showing it. They may not smoke now, but they did and know it isn't that big a deal. The few people I know that never smoked also seem to be in favor of legalization since they now know so many that did.

Think of how many people you have met by the age of 20. Now the older of you compare it to the people you have met in your lifetime. Many more and they were many different types of people. You know that meeting all of those people has changed your views on many things in one way or the other.

The only exceptions I ever see to this are usually religious fundamentalists.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 PM

50 posts, read 49,917 times
I used to be pro-SSM, but I've flipped over the past few years. Both as I've matured and as I've seen how the pro-SSM people behave. It's no surprise that the bullies from your high school days are in that group. Remember the recent controversy surrounding Memories Pizza. The pro-SSM folks have been acting like modern-day brownshirts! They're already discussing getting rid of tax exemptions for "bigoted" churches like the Catholics unless they change their doctrine to conform. Someone writing for Politico came out with an article arguing in favor of legalizing Polygamy within hours of the SSM supreme court decision. And people laugh at the "slippery slope" arguments when the anti-SSM bring them up!

We should have done civil unions and left marriage alone.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:50 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,194,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Hahaha, at least they're consistent.

I guess I just have a basic expectation that people should be consistent, and if they change, there should be a true turning point in their thinking and opinions, and not just going along with how the wind blows.
Society as a whole has become more accepting, though. It's just progress. Once upon a time women and people of color were not allowed to vote. Then people were not allowed to marry outside their race. There were once "whites only" establishments. Times change. This is just more change.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,149 times
Its because most everything posted on Facebook is embellished and fake - everyone wants to look good - a leopard does not change his spots - those bullies still hate gays.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:42 PM

99,490 posts, read 4,488,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I grew up in an extremely anti-gay church and my family hates gay people probably more than the Phelps family. Growing up in the church I was taught to hate gays and anybody I suspected of being gay. I did some shameful things in high school to people I thought were gay. I had very few friends in school but one guy who was my friend talked with a lisp (he was straight). Well my parents met him and wouldn't let me hang out with him anymore and also forced me to turn against him.

It's possible for somebody who grows up in this type of environment to finally get out and do a complete 180, fully supporting gay rights. It's happened with the children who have escaped Westboro. Extremism and oppression has a way of bringing out opposite emotions when and if they ever do escape.

I support gay rights but cannot be open about it in real life. I as much as liked an article on Facebook sympethic to the SCOTUS ruling and am being bullied by my family, who insist that I am headed to hell for "sympathizing with the homos." They have demanded I change my Facebook photo to a burning rainbow flag to prove my devotion to God but I don't want to do it.

Bottom line is yes, its possible to have personal growth especially on this issue.
Why are you allowing yourself to be bullied by your family this way? Tell them you have grown and changed your views and they have no right to make demands about what you post on your Facebook.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Yes.

Probably, in a few weeks, I'll start being really opposed to my friends and family members. Because the mystique of loving and supporting them, which has been going strong all my life, will have worn off.

This seems likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology