Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 890 times

Advertisements

im shy, awkward around strangers but am easy going and open in front of people i know

i am short tempered, judgmental, selfish and an as*hole

ive tried to work on it but it never works out

sometimes i just wanna give up

anyone know those feels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 PM

156 posts, read 443,188 times
Oh Wow! That sounds like me. But I'm also hung up with doing the right thing which often means not speaking my mind or doing what I want. I'm also considered reliable and responsible and I'm sick and tired of it. I want to be an irresponsible, ignorant, pr*ck like everyone else. If people knew what really goes through my mind, they'd be shocked, horrified, and saddened. If I could really voice what goes through my mind without worry of repercussions, I'd be so happy and relieved. Some people can get away with voicing their opinions no matter what they say, I can't. Life sucks.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 946,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgray View Post
anyone know those feels?
Yes, literally everyone. We're all different on different days and in different circumstances but we all exhibit or experience these behaviors and feelings to one degree or another. Life is too short to take it so seriously. Enjoy the ride and be kind and respectful to those that cross your path.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 AM

51,094 posts, read 36,813,552 times
There are always aspects of myself I know I don't like that much, but I continually work on self-improvement. To me the point of life, the journey, is to becoming the person we were meant to be (to me that means the true "you" without the attachments of ego that cause us to be judgemental and the other traits we don't like within ourselves).

To me I couldn't be happy if I didn't approve of myself and my actions at the end of the day. I do an inventory in my head of how well my my actions represented the "best" me, and what I still need to work on (feeling competitive while driving, etc).

I feel like I'm so much more in integrity now than when I was younger, and because of that each year is getting better and better and I feel more and more content with myself. Self work is hard and a lifelong process, but the rewards are worth it IMO.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:58 PM

15,619 posts, read 15,754,668 times
How exactly did you try to work on it? Funny, as it happens, I was just re-reading Benjamin Franklin (very appropriate for Independence Day, right?) who made a list to help him work on perfecting himself.

Being shy and awkward with strangers is pretty common but, in my opinion, pretty easy to work on. Short temper can be a problem, but most people are selfish and judgmental, so that may not be such a big deal.

On the other hand, noting that you haven't bothered to come back to reply, maybe some of the problems are just aspects of a lack of courtesy.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:38 PM

103 posts, read 88,804 times
Quote:
im shy, awkward around strangers but am easy going and open in front of people i know

anyone know those feels?
Boy do i ever, it seems like I can never say or do anything "right". I just say keep working on it, that is what i do.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,708,881 times
No. I am very happy for what I am

Some other people are not always happy for what I am, they lack of amazing views and taste

If you are unhappy with yourself, then be the person who you want to be You can be if you want to, it just have to be your first goal and choice You don't have to change yourself by one click, just change yourself in every situation, one by one. It happensduring longer period, good luck!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,819,830 times
Quote:

anyone know those feels?
I'm introverted (IRL at least) but when I actually open up I am too honest. There is no winning with me.
I am stubborn impatient and hard to please (with some things I am easy to please I'll give myself that)

I try to be patient and I try to use my stubborn nature to my advantage. I also try not being introverted and at the same time less honest. For example a few weeks ago when I know I probably needed my ID I blurted out "I don't have my ID though" Nothing happened but it's so easy when I'm 100 percent real to confess to things if society or common sense says they're important.

So yeah pretty much the same. Everyone has these feelings but with me I have these feelings that aren't normal. It's like the one song on my phone says "I spend all my time wishing that I was someone else" I may like some things about myself but when it comes to what's really important it's too much of a burden to be worth it. I believe I would like myself more if I had a different life. If my life changes the way it needs to be I will like myself but until then I'm pretty much stuck loathing myself and envious of the people who have had success and take it for granted (i.e. my ex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
No. I am very happy for what I am

Some other people are not always happy for what I am, they lack of amazing views and taste

If you are unhappy with yourself, then be the person who you want to be You can be if you want to, it just have to be your first goal and choice You don't have to change yourself by one click, just change yourself in every situation, one by one. It happensduring longer period, good luck!
What if you can't be exactly who/where you want to be because society won't let you? Or you try to be what society wants you to be so you can succeed and you just can't because your authentic nature takes over?

Last edited by Nickchick; 07-06-2015 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 12:11 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,210,338 times
Sure. Lots of people feel that way. It's called having low self-esteem / lack of confidence.

But, with acknowledging your flaws, or what you see as flaws, you can work to change them.

My self-esteem is very low in lots of areas. Physical appearance for example. But I work on that as best I can, and feel I may even look decent with the right amount of make-up. lol And wearing outfits that I think are fashionable. But some days you may feel good. Others, you feel like total crap.

I am also very shy well. I keep to myself alot, and somewhat stay inside my head.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,806,292 times
I'm an introvert, which I view as a weakness. Also shy and come off as standoffish because of it. Pretty unhappy with how my life has turned out. Divorced and 46 years old. Missed out on having a family and it makes me so sad and regretful.

I'm in good shape and look young, but it doesn't matter. Women aren't drawn to me because I'm an introvert and not funny enough, I guess. Now I'm old, so the women I want don't want me. It just sucks. As if that wasn't enough, I live in the armpit of America now. I hope one day I can get back to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology