Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:17 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times

Advertisements

Not all guys are cut out to be platonic friends with women. Maybe cultivate your guy friends and disregard the girls for now. Be polite to them, but that's all. And the damaged ones? Never talk to them except for business purposes. Don't eat lunch with them, don't discuss your private life with them, and dont let them discuss their personal life with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:17 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
I could have written this post. I am 34 and I have a hard time not caring about what other people think of me. Total strangers insult me for no reason it is frustrating.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:33 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Just make up your mind that for just one day you won't let it bother you. Then just repeat it the next day. One day at a time will let you overcome this!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:09 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Hmm...

It took me until I was 32 to STOP CARING what others thought/said about/to/of me. {some 20 years ago}

Now I am too old to care either.....LOL.

I won't go into here what caused the "epiphany" that I had, but it started with my parents...hey, it's MY life, and I will be HOW I AM, WHO I AM and if people don't like it, it is THEIR problem, not mine. Other People waste too much time on how others live.

SO, How do I tell you to NOT worry anymore without your own epiphany? I don't know. I can't tell you to "just get over it" as that doesn't always work, but that's what I'd like to say to you.

Pass on ANY person{s} anymore who don't fit into a friendship role without placing stipulations on you...you will find you don't need them in your life!

Best of LUCK to you!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
You will meet a lot of people throughout your life. Some will be mean, dumb, unstable, undependable, selfish, etc. Some will be fine, but you just won't have anything in common with them.
But there will be a few that are cut out to be your friends; some briefly and some for a long time. Those who are friend material are the one's you should respect enough to value their opinion. Thus you shouldn't worry at all about pleasing the vast majority of people who happen into your life. They are not meant to be in your life or your thoughts, so don't waste your life on them. There are others out there who need what you bring to life, so give it to them instead.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 PM

605 posts, read 491,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
People can be very cruel, usually the weak ones who have been treated like dirt act the same way towards others.

Omit "weak" and I agree. Anyone is susceptible regardless of perceived strength/weakness. Go into an inner-city school sometime and observe the behavior of the kids there. Do unto others what has been done to you....

Old 07-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
[/b]

Just get older. The longer you live the more you realize that the only person whose opinion matters is you. Meanwhile, stop looking for drama in every interaction.
Lol. While true, not especially helpful

Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM

LOTRfan, I suggest as a possible remedy to force yourself to do something regularly that defies social convention. I too struggle(d) with this problem, as I think we all do to some extent (barring psychopathy), so I decided to grow a long beard and long hair, partially as a way to say "**** you" to society at large. I committed to the beard while in college and still have it at age 29. I termed it a way to weed out the superficial, and while it in fact does attract unsolicited (and entirely superficial) comments at times, they are predictable and kind of "in your wheelhouse". It's emblematic of my personal ongoing effort at a compromise between my "nice" nature and the fact that society does in fact require one to be a bit of an ******* to survive. For you, it may be martial arts or cycling in the midst of traffic (where you'll have to be both aware of and somewhat indifferent to the negative opinions of drivers) or whatever else instead, but anything that helps to cultivate assertiveness serves the purpose. And while you ultimately may still care just as much about the "troubling" opinions of others, you may find that the problematic situations such as those you described in the OP just happen to become less frequent, thus providing you with an alternate "accidental" solution (of sorts) for what ails your psyche.

Just my thoughts; good luck.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
look some people are just mean.

there nothing you can do about it, after you leave, they will just be mean to somebody else

Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
It bothers you because you feel unjustly belittled. You feel angry/bad/powerless when these things happen. And you really want people to like and accept you. I'd say you have every right to feel bad about being treated badly.

But if your friend says you are too sensitive, then I'd pay attention to that. Here's how I got better at being too sensitive: I walked the walk. That is, I pretended to be unaffected by criticism or mockery. I didn't moan about it to any one, or cry myself to sleep. I simply ignored it. I got stronger. I learned that others get cut down, put in their place, and become objects of derision too. I learned that I could empathize with others because of my experiences.

So, you don't have to pretend anything, but stay classy. Don't complain. Hold your head up high. Think positive thoughts. You don't have to apologize, or be defensive, or complain.

And find better people to associate with. That woman sounds like she's a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology