U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:40 PM

14,679 posts, read 20,894,808 times

Advertisements

If you were the type - like I am - that has good insights about a person from the "first hunch" - you'll know what I am talking about.
Was watching news yesterday and they showed Mr. Obama walking towards podium to give his speech on whatever it was. Iran I think. He was walking quite a bit of distance to get to podium, so I could observe his entire body language.
He moved with that nonchalant dancing gait. Not swagger, swagger is different. Was more of a street walk, sort of dancing. I watched him and suddenly it stroke me with a solid opinion - he does not care about what he's doing. I was trying to find a right word to describe it... Couldn't come with better than cheeky. But English is not my born language. Hope this translates the intention though.
That is not how a man of power walks. Not a president of the USA.
No, it's not a question. Just an observation. As a side dish, I was very impressed with "man of power" walk from Vincent D'Onofrio in Daredevil, as Frisk. Somweher in the last episodes, there is a scene when he walks down the street, surrounded by his hoods. You should see that walk. Actor did great job. It was ultimate MAN OF POWER WALKING presentation. He looked like tank prawling through mere humans and events.
Not to chastise Mr Obama though. His counterpart, Putin, needs to learn how to sit in a chair. Have you notced that legs wide open "I'm in beach lounge chair" pose he always accepts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 PM

112 posts, read 99,521 times
It's part of his culture-it's a show of confidence not disinterest

Old 07-15-2015, 07:15 PM

318 posts, read 465,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed310 View Post

It's part of his culture-it's a show of confidence not disinterest

.... Am agreeing. Differences in cultures are so many... as well as not always so readily understood.

.... Example- We are taught in many societies to keep our eyes locked onto another's when we are being addressed. To fail this is considered to be disrespectful/not paying attention/discounting what is being said to us. To a traditional "Native American" (pick your fave tribe here, s'il vous plaît), to keep staring into another's eyes is a sign of great disrespect. Therefore, they'll look a bit lower or to the side for most of the conversation instead. A similar circumstance in principle to this situation, in my estimation.

.... So yes- confidence, as well as being at ease & gratified, is what I got.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 12,855,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
...That is not how a man of power walks. Not a president of the USA...
Being as how he IS the President of the USA and how he IS a man of power, however he walks IS the way a person like that walks!

Also being as he is a human being - most likely has different moods, sometimes happy, sometimes sad, sometimes energetic, sometimes tired... I would imagine he will walk differently depending on the circumstances.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 AM

93,306 posts, read 4,034,911 times
OP, how would you rate Franklin D. Roosevelt? He couldn't walk at all, so therefore he wasn't a man of power?

Funny how he's consistently rated as one of our top 3 presidents.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:00 PM

8,990 posts, read 5,311,033 times
Quote:
/ His counterpart, Putin, needs to learn how to sit in a chair. Have you notced that legs wide open "I'm in beach lounge chair" pose he always accepts?
I always interpret that pose as projecting exaggerated masculinity.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,803,339 times
I also believe that he is effeminate and possibly gay. When he talks about ISIS watch his forehead. I see a definite signs of fear. Also he has the temperament that his job is just a college class to teach and we are all is students that need to be educated.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:28 PM

19,612 posts, read 11,931,765 times
I also measure people by watching body language and how they walk. Putin is a good subject. He appears dangerously self absorbed.

At President Obama's level he is acutely aware of how he moves. That doesn't mean he can control it completely, but the information given off is moderated by what he wants to project. He is the all-time winner of the run-up-the-stairs-to-the-podium contest. I have rarely seen it done better. But, again, that's just an image he wants to project. So I don't know whether it's real or not.

I don't like the condescending way he sometimes grips his audiences shoulder or arm as they walk together. "I am not your pet", I want to say.

Contrasts in body language:
Hillary Clinton, who appears old, tired, and so very ****-sure of herself. She expects to be applauded and celebrated. I don't like that so much.
Elizabeth Warren, who appears energetic, spontaneous and with her wide smile and arms swinging around makes everyone watch and listen. I think Warren is a marvelous speaker.

I also like Dick Cheney with his an unapologetic style.
Susan Rice is wonderful to watch. She always looks like she is about to serve a tennis ball.
Bill Clinton is hiding something; the raised chin the open mouthed smile with the receded lower jaw is very unattractive.

I am called "Listener"; I am also a "Watcher"

THIS is a power Walk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5im5K7M0yLo

Old 07-18-2015, 06:36 PM

12,538 posts, read 13,913,547 times
Quote:
That is not how a man of power walks. Not a president of the USA.
He is a man of power. He is the President of the USA. That means that his walk is how a man of power and the president of the USA walks.

You're projecting Hollywood acting and what you think someone should do onto a real person. That is rather silly.

Heck, if he wanted to skip, limp, jump, or walk on his hands down the carpet, he could do that. He's the President. He can walk however he dang well pleases!

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Marka; 07-20-2015 at 02:18 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 07:43 PM

225 posts, read 354,405 times
Thank you for one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time. The Obama walk. Much admired in the BC for it's fluid, rhythmic style and relaxed nature. Latin men have that "I own the world" style of walking as well as do some European men. You just know men who walk like that can bring it in the bed room.

Now I have seen some white guys who have that smooth gait and it is a pleasure to watch. Again European men are better at it than American men I'm afraid. Far too may of you walk around like you have a piece of iron bar fused to your spines and hips. It really shows up on the dance floor and to be honest it shows up when some of you get horizontal. Try to loosen up a little. It won't hurt you and the ladies will appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology