Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:08 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times

Advertisements

You've run into them, people who claim they never get depressed.

Have you ever confronted one of these people, and said: You're behavior suggests you're depressed!

And what kind of behavior are we looking at?

Could this be of help? There's a razor-thin line between a laugh and a cry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 11:12 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Google.com knows all when you search for the words...

signs of depression

You will find this...
Signs of Clinical Depression: Symptoms to Watch For

Old 07-20-2015, 11:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
It generally helps to just focus on expressing your concern regarding the behavior, and not focusing on slapping a diagnostic label on it, especially if you are not a trained clinician.

Asking people questions about how they are doing, and expressing caring and showing empathy for them will also generally be much more accepted than "confronting" them and pronouncing them with a diagnosis.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Reading of symptoms, I'm guessing over-eating would be my brother's way of showing depression.

No matter what is going on his life, I've never known him not to be upbeat, jolly, optimistic, but he's very much over-weight.

Oh Lord! Just spending even a day with his narcissistic, sociopathic wife would plunge me in to a depression!

But, he has his own mechanic shop, working 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week. So, perhaps, that's another sign of his depression: workaholism!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 AM

615 posts, read 665,934 times
Sounds like a good way to start chit with someone. I would mind my own unless it was family.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:24 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
They'll be quiet. They wouldn't talk so much. They wouldn't do what they enjoy doing.

This isn't totally true though. I, myself, for one, have been depressed in the last couple of months and I do at times laugh and smile, but deep inside I'm still hurt.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 3,505 times
You can not be depressed but just be stuck in a negative mind set. Only a certified therapist can know this.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,913 times
I did suggest to a friend, via email, a couple months ago that I thought she might have depression and described why.

We had shared a long email string of discussion and she'd said some amazingly dark, negative things plus made some nasty accusations about a notable person and forwarded a link to an online article about that person. Well, the article declared the opposite of what she had accused him of! Frankly, basic common sense would have indicated what she was saying wasn't likely and the very article declared it wasn't. I pointed it out and she was either truly confused (brain fog a common symptom) or just wanted to believe her accusations (that's kinda sick).

All that, plus her general loner inclination, tendency to complain about the smallest things and evidencing no real joy in anything made me draw the depression conclusion. I think I'm closer to right than wrong about it and I would want to know if someone thought I was! So, I told her and, to my amazement, she flew off the handle. Why would anyone be angry about a condition they do not chose? I think her reaction might further prove that she is depressed. A non-depressed person would not be very bothered and probably glad to be informed of the possibility. A depressed person might feel trapped, in denial, confused about what to do, etc....therefore angry.

It's tricky to suggest it to someone, for sure. But, wouldn't you want someone to tell you?

Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You've run into them, people who claim they never get depressed.

Have you ever confronted one of these people, and said: You're behavior suggests you're depressed!

And what kind of behavior are we looking at?

Could this be of help? There's a razor-thin line between a laugh and a cry?
Youre asking for directions on how to play god.
You might want to get help....for you.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
If you know them fairly well, you can pick up on it. At work, I’ve noticed friends over the years get quiet, moody, and just have that worried look. If I get the chance, I always ask them in a roundabout way how things are going. Leave the door open if they want to talk. They usually start talking about whatever issue it is, kids, spouses, BF, GF, money, and I always listen and try to give good advise if that’s warranted.

Throughout my world travels, people I barely know will usually tell me their troubles. I may have that kind of face or come across as someone who listens. Anyway, it’s fine, I’m a good listener and people pick up on it. I also never intrude unless asked. Should have made a profession of it.

Anyway, if you know the person, and their behavior changes, maybe it’s a good time to let them know you’re there if they need you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology