Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 AM

114 posts, read 148,251 times

Advertisements

I work in health care and was thinking about pursuing a healthcare profession, but working an urgent care setting, dealing with insurance, dealing with rude and unreasonable patients it can be very frustrating. I have to fake a smile and act professional while getting yelled at ... honestly I don't even care anymore. I lost so much drive, I would pursue something else, but I don't know what. I worked to get a bachelors degree in biology and was thinking about applying to health related professional school, but now I am having second thoughts. This experience has made me want to run far away as possible from health care. I see a relative who is young and naive as I once was pursing a health care career with hardly any idea with what the job entails, listening to what their parents and relatives have told them to do.

I get so jealous when I hear my fellow colleagues who finished with marketable majors like computer science making 70k with full benefits straight out of college at 22 years old, while I have to work my ass to study and devote 3 or 4 more years of schooling with possible residency, added with tons of debt, stress, and pain to achieve a decent income. While my computer science friends are getting a great head start in life. All I really want was a decent and stable income that would allow me to live a typical sensible life, however I am far from that atm. I don't even know if computer science is something I even want to do, I am merely looking at it from a practical perspective. The real world sucks and has been a harsh reality. I currently live with my parents and it just sucks to be 24 and be in this position, with no sense of direction atm.

I don't know if I am depressed or maybe just sad, but there is alot of pressure to be able to support myself and my family. My parents are getting older and I can't be a bum because they can't support me forever. I have seen some friends who are older than me who majored in biology and ended up working in crappy jobs paying little above minimum wage. I told myself I would not be like that at an early age and it seems like I am on the path to becoming something I have once feared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:07 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Is making money and keeping up with your friends the major motivation? Is it money that would make you happy?

If you like biology, what about teaching? I was reading an article, trying to convince my son that he should do it, that said that some school systems have a program for people with a degree and not in teaching. A sort of internship in a way. I can't remember what they call it but science and math teachers are hard to recruit. Just a thought.

What are trying to accomplish? You're going to have to figure out your ultimate goal, what you want to work toward.

Maybe you just don't fit in with this group of friends anymore and feel uncomfortable. So, you could like they have to fit in or get a new group of friends doing something else. Jealousy of others is always going to be present unless you become your own person. Some people grow out of it and others don't. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_3295802.html

What would make you happy? Making a lot of money and fitting in with your current friends or..........?

Another thought: Have you looked at careers in state or federal civil service as far as biology? I often see positions listed. You might deal with "wildlife and game", away from the stress that people generally create.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-27-2015 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Don't go back to school (just my opinion). You write well, and I'm sure you don't need an advanced degree.

Healthcare is a good field because it's recession-resistant; with your academic background, I would think you could easily move into an EEG or EKG tech, Sleep lab tech (monitoring EEGs), pharmacy lab tech, anything that will take you away from the stress of the public. I only lasted 7-8 months in the OR scheduling and prepping for surgeries, and I know that kind of work will wear you out. Or, if blood doesn't freak you out, you could be a phlebotomist. Also, look at evening shifts (3-11); they often aren't as busy. It sounds like you work in an office; feel like you need to move around more; it would also help the day pass more quickly.

You can take classes to obtain certification for these positions either where you work (if they offer that) or at a vocational school. You're just stuck right now, and it can be dreadful; I remember. Don't give up -- and let us know how you're faring. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
If you don't enjoy interacting with sick people, and don't feel a desire to help them, I'd advise you not to go into any healthcare profession.

I think you need to ask yourself what you do see yourself doing, and then pursue that. You aren't the only one to have this problem after college. You might have saved yourself the troubles you have now if you had thought about what you want to do before getting the degree you got. But you should be able to find something for yourself.

If you like explaining things to kids, then teaching science might be the ticket for you. But you will have to deal with people who are not at their best in that field too.

The thing to do is to find a goal and then pursue it single mindedly. And, none of us are 100% percent happy with our jobs. There will always be weeks or months of boredom or too much anxiety. Such is life.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM

615 posts, read 666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbald42 View Post
I work in health care and was thinking about pursuing a healthcare profession, but working an urgent care setting, dealing with insurance, dealing with rude and unreasonable patients it can be very frustrating. I have to fake a smile and act professional while getting yelled at ... honestly I don't even care anymore. I lost so much drive, I would pursue something else, but I don't know what. I worked to get a bachelors degree in biology and was thinking about applying to health related professional school, but now I am having second thoughts. This experience has made me want to run far away as possible from health care. I see a relative who is young and naive as I once was pursing a health care career with hardly any idea with what the job entails, listening to what their parents and relatives have told them to do.

I get so jealous when I hear my fellow colleagues who finished with marketable majors like computer science making 70k with full benefits straight out of college at 22 years old, while I have to work my ass to study and devote 3 or 4 more years of schooling with possible residency, added with tons of debt, stress, and pain to achieve a decent income. While my computer science friends are getting a great head start in life. All I really want was a decent and stable income that would allow me to live a typical sensible life, however I am far from that atm. I don't even know if computer science is something I even want to do, I am merely looking at it from a practical perspective. The real world sucks and has been a harsh reality. I currently live with my parents and it just sucks to be 24 and be in this position, with no sense of direction atm.

I don't know if I am depressed or maybe just sad, but there is alot of pressure to be able to support myself and my family. My parents are getting older and I can't be a bum because they can't support me forever. I have seen some friends who are older than me who majored in biology and ended up working in crappy jobs paying little above minimum wage. I told myself I would not be like that at an early age and it seems like I am on the path to becoming something I have once feared.
I'm sorry to hear that. Healthcare sucks badly. The older I get, the more I learn how badly our healthcare is and it progresses worse. Now we have obamadoesntcare. Its all about money. From drugs, to risky and needless procedures and people pissed-off and in pain.
The last time I went to the emergency, the nurse didn't listen to me nor track accurate readings. I was upset by that (but didn't communicate it). She was in a trance. Like she was a robot. Now I get why. My next visit she was in a much better mood.

If I were you, I would look at a position in healthcare that is not customer facing. You would still be in your field of choice (healthcare), but avoid dealing with unhappy and sometimes ignorant people in pain. Nobody wants that. It will tear you down if you care at all.

Another approach is not to care at all and don't listen. If someone crossed your boundary, point them to the security officer. Don't smile, just think about what makes you happy and make eye contact. Don't smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology