Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,128 times

Advertisements

This is a pet peeve of mine. Almost always without fail, when I go alone to an empty or near empty fast casual food establishment I sit in an obscure, empty corner by myself.

Then, out of nowhere, another patron by themselves or a family decide to sit directly in front of me or next to me making face contact even though they had the entire restaurant to choose a table from. I don't sit near the registers either, they had to walk out of there way to get close to my table.

When this happens, I usually get up and go to another table. Same thing if I am in an empty movie theater.

So what is more concerning, the folks who go out of there way to sit right next to a stranger or someone like me disgusted by the act and relocates?

Edit: This just happened again as soon as I posted this. Empty McDonald's, someone decides to sit directly in front me making face contact. I'm moving.

I wonder what would happen if I decide to stare at them, maybe they would feel uncomfortable enough to move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. Almost always without fail, when I go alone to an empty or near empty fast casual food establishment I sit in an obscure, empty corner by myself.

Then, out of nowhere, another patron by themselves or a family decide to sit directly in front of me or next to me making face contact even though they had the entire restaurant to choose a table from. I don't sit near the registers either, they had to walk out of there way to get close to my table.

When this happens, I usually get up and go to another table. Same thing if I am in an empty movie theater.

So what is more concerning, the folks who go out of there way to sit right next to a stranger or someone like me disgusted by the act and relocates?

Edit: This just happened again as soon as I posted this. Empty McDonald's, someone decides to sit directly in front me making face contact. I'm moving.

I wonder what would happen if I decide to stare at them, maybe they would feel uncomfortable enough to move.
The first thought that came to mind is that they feel for compassion for you because you are sitting alone in the corner of a restaurant and they sit near you in the attempts to make you feel better, as in not all alone in the world.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
It aggravates me. If I'm alone it's by choice so if there's a whole theater or restaurant to choose from I wish people would toddle off and sit as far from me as possible.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
Usually if you start talking to yourself in different voices, they will move.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
They can't read your mind. I defer to the thought they were trying to be compassionate but didn't know what to do. Some people sit alone in despair. There are not enough kind people on Earth. Try to think the best. I won't say anything more.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 PM

615 posts, read 666,030 times
if someone starts to come near you, start throwing ice cubes at them before they sit down.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have to admit to being annoyed at a similar situation my wife and I encountered. We were at the Tillamook (OR) cheese factory, and got an early lunch. We sat down and the tables were all pretty much empty. Some old couple came and sat at the table right next to us. We thought maybe they were really friendly and wanted to chat or something, but they ignored us completely. Just a personal space thing, they had many places to sit and we couldn't figure out why they had to sit next to us.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Perhaps they think you are good looking, want to maybe strike up a conversation, and get a date with you?

Or maybe they are just lonely and would like to talk with someone?

You will never know unless you talk to some of these people and eventually find out why they chose to sit across from you...

P.S. Try not taking a bath for two weeks, then see if they still want to sit next to you.

Last edited by Billy_J; 07-27-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 01:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
OP, I don't have any suggestions, but I hate this too. I like going to lunch alone, and my second goal after "#1 Get food" is "#2 be alone." I don't go to lunch between 12-1 because I know every place will be crowded. But it never fails, if I go to a place where you can seat yourself, like pizza, Mexican, or fast food, someone always sits near me when there are tons of other tables.

I understand (but don't like it) when it happens at casual dining places (where there is a waiter/waitress) because I know they assign each server an area, and if they are down to one server, they will necessarily have to sit us near each other. I don't like it, but I get it.

But in a place like a pizza parlor, when there are 20+ tables, and I pick one out of the way, the next person to come in invariably sits at the very next table. And like you said, they usually don't even have the courtesy to sit with their back to me, but on the other side so we have to make occasional eye contact. I focus on my book, food, and e-mails on my phone, but you can't help feeling your "hackles" up when you know you're right in someone's line of vision.

This is why I mostly just get take-out now and eat in my office.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

Happiness all the time to me; but I do not have mental problem about it and know they too are probably looknig for a quite area. Yu have no exclusive right to privacy of that nature in a public place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology