Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Very true.

But it's ALSO way easier to give something you love and enjoy 110%, because it doesn't even necessarily feel like it's work.
Yeah. I don't come close to loving my job. But I can't imagine not being as perfect as possible at it. For me and the people it affects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I've been in the position as well , devoting 110 % without recognition, it's disheartening ys.
Wrong attitude.

Excellence is about your standards. Not about accolades from others.
Same with character, integrity, etc. It's not for someone else. It is a gift you give yourself.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Because they aren't being paid to do more than that.

Let's be honest here: Employees going above and beyond in corporate America are rarely rewarded these days. If anything, they become the victim of "if you want something done, give it to a busy person," and efficiency is often punished by giving someone extra work.

If you want more out of your employees, then add more to their job descriptions. But complaining about them simply meeting the requirements of their jobs is silly.
This. No matter what activity human beings are involved in, there is always a person who doesn't work hard at it, no matter what their rate of pay. Higher pay probably helps, however. There are extremes of effort, just as there is with intelligence, hair color, wealth, and many other characteristics.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:04 AM

335 posts, read 329,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Excellence is about your standards. Not about accolades from others.
Same with character, integrity, etc. It's not for someone else. It is a gift you give yourself.
Great personal realization. Lots of personal fulfillment potential therein. But it honestly doesn't equate to going beyond the minimum on a job. Character and integrity are issues of honesty and execution of responsibilities that really have nothing to do with performing beyond basic expectations. There is no universal mandate that a person's integrity or character is measured by extraordinary performance on behalf of an employer. Many, if not most, jobs entail being a cog in a wheel of production and marketing and management of products and functions entirely unnecessary and even counterproductive to human health and happiness and well being. Our society isn't limited to altruistic existence. Most of what our culture is involved in is seriously frivolous and even damaging. Most people merely work to survive in this reality. Real excellence is found in their personal lives away from employment. And that is where your benchmarks for behavior are brilliant.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Because they aren't being paid to do more than that.

Let's be honest here: Employees going above and beyond in corporate America are rarely rewarded these days. If anything, they become the victim of "if you want something done, give it to a busy person," and efficiency is often punished by giving someone extra work.

My sister started a new job, moving from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City. Right away she noticed inefficiencies at the office, and proposed solutions. The solutions were implemented by dumping all the new work in her lap (this in addition to the duties she had been originally hired to do).

I was concerned that she would burn out.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

It is not every workplace where you are rewarded for going the extra mile. For those in such workplaces, they see that going above and beyond for their employer has no tangible benefit for them (no additional pay, no chance of promotion, no recognition, no appreciation, doesn't necessarily protect you from layoffs/the chopping block, whatever), and it becomes nonsensical to put in the additional effort, rather than just keep one's nose down and do what's expected and no more. It doesn't necessarily mean that the job isn't important to them. It may simply mean that it's a workplace culture that will not reward extra work or dedication in any meaningful way. And there are a lot of workplaces that are like that.
I've seen the situation where management manages by cracking the whip. This is applied not only to the average employee, but also to those who go the extra mile. Yes, those who go the extra mile are subjected to punitive treatment.

The best employees respond by seeking employment elsewhere.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:05 PM

119 posts, read 147,121 times
because they are being paid the bare minimum, while being surrounded by co-workers that get paid more due to seniority and don't produce as efficiently as the employee getting paid the minimum.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:37 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Not always are they bums and lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8afqoDL3Qsk

Old 07-31-2015, 10:31 PM

818 posts, read 917,128 times
OP, most of us see this type of worker everyday. They can be any age but , I see a pattern with the early 20s crowd. 9 out of 10 are Laaaazy. I have to show them how real work is done and the proper pace expected where we work. Some catch on and some don't .
The ones that don't get it usually get fired

Old 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
My sister started a new job, moving from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City. Right away she noticed inefficiencies at the office, and proposed solutions. The solutions were implemented by dumping all the new work in her lap (this in addition to the duties she had been originally hired to do).

I was concerned that she would burn out.
Imagine doing the same only to be made an enemy of upper management because they created the inefficiencies and know correcting them would help the business grow and growing the business would weakene their power because getting customers out of their bottleneck would show how poor of a job they have been doing. Now imagine the owner knows this and hires people outside the firm to correct it, but he is too weak to stand up to the existing upper management even though he knows they're costing him money thus stranding his new hires in a no win situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology