Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,893 times

Advertisements

I HATE talking on the phone and rarely get or make calls--I'm a firm believer that there are "phone" people and "email" people--I'm the latter....

If/when I get a new SMART phone I'm going to make it a special point of taking a hammer and smashing the crap out of the one I have now as it is totally useless and sooo deserves to die an ugly death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,764 times
No. If I'm bored, I just browse the web, check email, randomly text people, or look at the stock market app.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I have no reason to fake anything, especially calls just to avoid someone I may not want to talk to.
It isn't that hard to just continue to walk by when walking the dog or going to get an errand done.
It is just as easy to tell them "No time to talk today" and continue moving forward.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I have to admit that it happens occasionally but then out of what I consider a necessity. If I am in a strange environment around a lot of people that I don't know I will sometimes talk to a dead cell phone to make it appear that I have a connection near by. It is a security thing when in a big city. It isn't good to be isolated from people in a strange environment because it makes you vulnerable. ....
Wow! I cannot imagine living with this level of paranoia. I'd need an armored car, the hell with the mobile phone gimmick.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:59 AM

396 posts, read 512,936 times
I have done it when going to our condo's mailbox commons. There is one overly chatty lady who always seems to be there and there's no polite way to extricate yourself once she starts in.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
I have done it when going to our condo's mailbox commons. There is one overly chatty lady who always seems to be there and there's no polite way to extricate yourself once she starts in.
I've done the same thing. Although I feel like a lot of people are very rude with their cell phone nowadays, I sometimes use it and pretend to be talking to someone when I get tired of another person chatting with me incessantly. I also pretend to be texting someone. I used to walk away, saying I had something else to do.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM

113 posts, read 223,627 times
I do it when I'm in a pushy retail-type environment. Girl or Boy Scouts parked outside the grocery store entrance, kiosks in the middle of the mall, stuff like that. They usually don't approach when you look like you're on the phone, so that's the easiest way to get from point A to point B without having to decline a thousand sales pitches.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
I use it to call in air strikes on their cords.

Be advised drop all remaining on my pods.....get em in their holes and their heads down. Coordinates are...... Then walk behind them while yelling lat lon into the phone....

Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
nope.
but its funny when people are obviously doing it.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missladytexas View Post
I do it when my nosy neighbor is outside just so I won't have to talk to her if she's outside. She's a complete ratchet Mr. Wilson type. She even yells at little neighborhood kids that walk by her yard and calls them b*tches if they take one step on her lawn lol. Talking about kids under 10 here. So yeah.. that's the only time I do it.
^^^ This!! There's one in every neighbourhood! I have a cell phone but don't use it. When she starts snooping around in the evenings (I can always smell her cigarette smoke nearby when I have my screen door open to let the breeze in), I just launch into a big, exciting conversation, laugh really loud, and hesitate enough to make it sound like I'm talking to someone. She can't see me from my living room, so I have a rollickiing good time with it.

She's such a gossip! So I always say things like, "Yes, but when we were in (name of some place, whatever)," and make up some outlandish, funny story. I have a naturally loud but musical laugh, and I can fake it easily.

She comes around because she's just nosy and curious and gossipy. I'm very private, live alone, and work at home (nights, mostly). I'm sure the word round the block is, "What a strange character she is!" but I DO love to pull harmless pranks like these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology