Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:39 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,778,173 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that it happens occasionally but then out of what I consider a necessity. If I am in a strange environment around a lot of people that I don't know I will sometimes talk to a dead cell phone to make it appear that I have a connection near by. It is a security thing when in a big city. It isn't good to be isolated from people in a strange environment because it makes you vulnerable. I often see single females walking alone at night talking on a cell phone and they might be doing a security thing.

A study showed that 13% of people that you see talking on a cell phone arn't really talking to anyone. That study was mentioned in an article in "Vital Speeches' magazine(June). The guy that mentioned it is the head of Sprints computer/phone department. Good article not on the subject of people talking on the cell phone but the study mentioned was included in the article.

I always wondered what percentage of people that you see talking on a cell phone are really talking to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 11:57 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,916,555 times
I've never done that. But I have a buddy that is ex-military and he is still living in another world. He tries to convince me and our other friends that he currently works for a CIA black ops type organization that does missions the government funds but stay secret and they use guys like him.

In his last attempt to continue the charade, when I walked on the deck from my house, he immediately appeared to be having a conversation on his phone once he saw me and he said things on the phone while having his imaginary conversation, like 'This is going to be a big job. I'll put together a five man team. Same guys we used in Sudan.' Then he laughed and said 'You know I live for this stuff. I just don't want to lose anyone like El Salvador in 2011.' and 'Have him meet me at the airport with the money & passports. I've already got guys on the ground with Intel that can supply us when we get in.'

Later that night when he was playing cards with a couple of other friends, I grabbed his phone he left on a chair behind him, went into my kitchen and scrolled through the call history and there was not an incoming or outgoing call at the time he staged his black ops mission conversation earlier.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,657,684 times
It's my default mode!

Old 07-31-2015, 03:08 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,678,858 times
I don't own a cell phone but once I was waiting in my car in a store parking lot and I saw two punks looking into the window of a parked car. They began checking all the doors to see if any were unlocked so I grabbed my garage door opener off the visor and began talking into it while I stared at them. They saw me and took off running. I should have received an Oscar for that performance.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:17 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,709,425 times
All the time , I don't even have a phone that is great at texting ( flip phone) but I still put my head down a play with the calculator to make people think I'm texting, so don't look bored when I'm waiting.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,101,222 times
I have a co-worker who does it all the time while waiting to go into a client site through the employee entrance, which is closer to the area that our equipment is in. He pretends to be talking until someone comes in or out and opens the door with their badge, says good bye and follows them in!

I park where I am supposed to park and walk the distance. If it is raining when he comes out he gets wet. I don't!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
I have been known to gag strangers....

Me: "I am so sorry we fought....yeah, it was all my fault....
I know...., yeah, I know....yeah, make up sex is going to be great!!!
Ok, bye Dad..."

Old 07-31-2015, 10:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
No, not really.

I could, of course, wouldn't be much of a problem. I would just "activate" an acting duet (one I've done, learned or seen) and taking one side of that conversation. Further, if found out, I could always claim I was practicing a scene out of its normal environment to make it more natural to me.

But generally, no. For one thing, cell phone comms with me rather come under "submarine games" in that the Razor comes out for necessary talk and then goes back into the pocket until needed again. I am not on the phone all the time, the phone isn't out all the time.

Secondly, since it is a Razor, using it to try to avoid conversations would probably be counter productive since people would come to me about me "still" using a Razor.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:53 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,793,661 times
I do it as a defense mechanism of sorts. Or maybe it's an offensive mechanism. There are a couple of contentious people whom I see often when I'm walking my dog. Conversation with them is not a pleasant experience under the best of circumstances and especially not when it's early in the morning. So I do the fake phone call thing. So far, I've just taken out my phone when I see one of them coming and start jabbering into it. I did discover just today that it's possible to set up a Fake Phone Call function on my flip phone . . . after you set it up, you just press one of the volume buttons and it will give you a ringy-dingy as though it's for real. That will make my subterfuge even more believable as long as I can be subtle about pressing the button. We shall see . . . I'm sure I'll get to test it out tomorrow at the crack of dawn.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:59 PM

232 posts, read 251,656 times
I do it when my nosy neighbor is outside just so I won't have to talk to her if she's outside. She's a complete ratchet Mr. Wilson type. She even yells at little neighborhood kids that walk by her yard and calls them b*tches if they take one step on her lawn lol. Talking about kids under 10 here. So yeah.. that's the only time I do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology