Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,680 times

Advertisements

I'm a "full-fledged alcoholic." I go to AA and have for a little over 3 years now. It has worked for me. I haven't had a drink in those 3 years. I can't tell you if you're an alcoholic. I've seen AA members try to label others as alcoholic. Our AA literature tells us only I can determine if I'm an alcoholic. I personally stay out of other people's diagnoses. I'm not qualified to make that sort of determination. I never drank every day but it was getting more and more often. I could sometimes control my drinking but that control got harder and harder as time went on. It wasn't about how much or how often. It was about how I felt about drinking. I could never seem to control and enjoy my drinking. It was always one or the other. AA has no monopoly on recovery. If you're interested in AA, a good idea would be to attend a speaker meeting and see if their story sound similar to yours. If not, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is pretty much semantics, though. One person's "heavy drinker" may be an addict. Another person's "heavy drinker" may not. "Heavy drinker" is subjective, not particularly universally measurable criteria.
Yes, semantics are at play here. It doesn't matter if a person is a "heavy" drinker, a "light" drinker, a "daily" drinker, or an occassional "binger." The key factor is: DO THE FEEL COMPELLED TO DO IT? If I am merely drinking in any amount, I can stop at any time. But if I stop and then still think about it every day and have to fight with myself constantly to keep myself from picking up a drink, then I am not "just" a heavy drinker. I have an addiction problem. People who are not alcoholics don't think about alcohol every day.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:23 PM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Obviously, laughably wrong. Not even going to bother to rebut this opinion. You even contradict yourself.
This is something I would have written when I was still out there, wanted to clean up, and wondered if beer counted as alcohol-lol

How much time do you have?

I can only think, reading the totally outrageously wack stuff people have written here, that this thread has made a few hard drinkers reflect on their own habits, and are now lashing out as a defense--To justify their habit to themselves. Don't worry, when you come around, AA will be there for you, too
So your argument consists of "You disagree, it means you're an alcoholic and won't admit it?"

Talk about laughably wrong.

It shouldn't be too difficult with a couple brain cells to rub together to realize that if you have it drummed into your head that you cannot control your drinking, that if you drink, you are not capable of stopping, then it is entirely possible that is exactly what happens, because you've come to believe it.

Like the old saying, "Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're right."

Millions of Americans who partied hearty in their youth simply mature out of the overindulgence, without going to AA, without teetotaling, without treatment of any kind. That is undeniable fact.

The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous - The Atlantic
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...on-and-suicide

Old 08-06-2015, 02:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Yes, semantics are at play here. It doesn't matter if a person is a "heavy" drinker, a "light" drinker, a "daily" drinker, or an occassional "binger." The key factor is: DO THE FEEL COMPELLED TO DO IT? If I am merely drinking in any amount, I can stop at any time. But if I stop and then still think about it every day and have to fight with myself constantly to keep myself from picking up a drink, then I am not "just" a heavy drinker. I have an addiction problem. People who are not alcoholics don't think about alcohol every day.
Yep, loss of personal control over one's actions is a BIG signifier of all kinds of problems, not just addiction alone.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
It shouldn't be too difficult with a couple brain cells to rub together to realize that if you have it drummed into your head that you cannot control your drinking, that if you drink, you are not capable of stopping, then it is entirely possible that is exactly what happens, because you've come to believe it.
Your stance is that if someone cannot control his or her drinking, it's only because he or she has let other people convince him/her that it is so?

Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
I think it's funny how many times I have read: "thats a fact!"
lolz
Great stuff!

Old 08-06-2015, 04:02 PM

I know, so many "undeniable facts" about "millions of Americans!"

Old 08-06-2015, 08:11 PM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Your stance is that if someone cannot control his or her drinking, it's only because he or she has let other people convince him/her that it is so?
My stance is they simply DON'T/WON'T control their drinking. If they end up in AA, they may become convinced they CAN'T.

That is the factor that leads to worse relapses. If someone believes they are doomed with a single drink, they keep drinking. Someone with faith in their own ability to control themselves is more likely to exercise that control and get back to abstinence or moderation quickly. Because they don't buy into powerlessness.

Quote:
I know, so many "undeniable facts" about "millions of Americans!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunkerkat
I think it's funny how many times I have read: "thats a fact!"
Yes, FACTS.

The disease model of alcoholism is increasingly outdated. Most problem drinkers CAN control themselves, if they choose to. And most end up making that choice, with or without AA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...c-study-shows/

Quote:
Drinking excessively can cause serious health risks and is responsible for an average of 88,000 deaths every year. But the vast majority of such excessive drinkers are not alcoholics, according to new government data.

Nine out of 10 excessive drinkers are actually not dependent on alcohol, revealed findings within a study released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The study is one of the first national, multi-year looks at alcoholism among excessive drinkers, and debunks the assumption that most excessive drinkers are dependent upon alcohol.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...and-others-are
Quote:
Research from the National Institute of Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse (NIAAA) indicates that about 72% of people have a single period of heavy drinking in their life that lasts on average 3-4 years, and then they may mature out of it.
NIAAA Publications

Quote:
The transition to adult roles typically involves ending formal education and beginning employment; becoming financially independent of parents; establishing new living arrangements (alone, cohabiting, married); and getting married and starting a family. All of these events are associated with declines in problematic alcohol use. For some young people, the first transition to adulthood, however—leaving the parental home, whether to attend college or not—often coincides with an increase in heavy alcohol use (O’Malley and Johnston 2002). This sidebar first examines how leaving the parental home is associated with increases in heavy alcohol consumption, and then looks at two transitions of young adulthood that are strongly associated with declining heavy alcohol use among young adults: marriage and parenthood.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
An alcoholic has no internal "shut off valve" that tells him he's had enough. For me, as I get toward the end of the 2nd beer in a restaurant, my body says "you're full," and at that point I stop drinking it and switch to water (which I have no problem drinking more of). Forcing myself to finish the beer is like trying to swallow a second glass of milk after you've just had one: not impossible, but unpleasant.

But the key to whether you're an alcoholic is whether your inability to control your drinking causes you significant problems in life--do you risk losing a job due to too many hangovers? Losing a relationship because you say / do terrible things to those you love when drunk? Do you end up driving drunk or impaired, risking your safety or that of others?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:14 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
My stance is they simply DON'T/WON'T control their drinking. If they end up in AA, they may become convinced they CAN'T.

That is the factor that leads to worse relapses. If someone believes they are doomed with a single drink, they keep drinking. Someone with faith in their own ability to control themselves is more likely to exercise that control and get back to abstinence or moderation quickly. Because they don't buy into powerlessness.

Yes, FACTS.

The disease model of alcoholism is increasingly outdated. Most problem drinkers CAN control themselves, if they choose to. And most end up making that choice, with or without AA.

Vast majority of Americans who drink excessively are not alcoholics, new CDC study shows - The Washington Post

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...and-others-are

NIAAA Publications

Binge drinking in college is a huge problem, but, these kids aren't alcoholics. There is a difference and having lived with one who was I have seen the difference. The kind of desparate drinking doesn't come from enjoying being tipsy at a football game it is a deep seated illness. Most adult men don't enjoy peeing the bed every night and falling on there heads....waking up bleeding.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology