Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 PM

191 posts, read 287,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
What age group of people?

I know a LOT of older people who are nice as can be! (Those without cell phones.)
Age 0 to people in there 60's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Sometimes it depends on which part of the world you live in. I've lived in some places in the USA that made me feel like losing hope for humanity. But then other places you'll find polite people who hold doors for others, greet people with smiles and friendliness, and who will sincerely wish others well. I'm living in one of the good places right now. I mean, I still run across the occasional a-hole, for sure. But overall, I find myself smiling and thinking the best of people.

I think people who are hurt and angry tend to want to spread their misery around because, like they say, misery loves company. Sometimes when you're faced with an a-hole, the best thing you could do is show some kindness. At least you won't feel bad about yourself, even if it doesn't have the desired effect on them.
I agree there are more a-holes in some places, but they are still everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Most, a sweeping statement. Depends on how you define, A-hole? Are you thin skinned or hanging out with the wrong people? Serious answer.....

I can be thick skinned and thin skinned. Im constantly meeting new people. Its not that im hanging out with the wrong people. I just haven't found many nice reliable people.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Don't know about anyone else, but *I* work at it. But selectively. Mostly toward people who ask this kind of question on a public forum.

What are you saying?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Because most people don't live in Wyoming.

Can't live here and be an... whatever.

We got us a no 'whatever' rule.
I have lived in Wyoming and met a local A-hole there too, but most everyone else there was nice. It's definitely one of the states with more nice people.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
I have lived in Wyoming and met a local A-hole there too, but most everyone else there was nice. It's definitely one of the states with more nice people.
It's not a wyoming specific thing, it's a population density thing. It's "my" theory (I'm sure there have been actual studies) that people are nicer and more civilized when they are surrounded by less people. Less people = less competition= less stress overall.

For example, I live in a small town in Alaska. Everyone is pretty nice (although there are definitely some "weird" people). If you are a stressed out "a-hole" way out here it is a 100% reflection on yourself and you have a problem. People for the most part are pretty relaxed and curteous.

However, the other day on a long layover in Chicago, I went downtown, which is worlds apart from small town Alaska. Right away I felt myself become more on edge, blood pressure raising, more on "guard", etc. The same thing happens when I go and visit family in S.W. Florida. After a few days the hustle and bustle, amount of traffic, rude people, etc. really start to put me on edge. I would probably become one of those "a-holes" that you refer to in your posts If I lived full time in an environment like that. However, since I live in a very relax low key environment, I like to think of myself as a very low key, chill, go with the flow, type of guy and usually am.

Maybe our living arrangements have a lot to do with our niceness or lack thereof.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
You'll never catch me calling someone an A-Hole!!! Never!!!

Why? Point a finger at someone and you're pointing 4 fingers at yourself!

Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 AM

228 posts, read 171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post
It is a function of biology known as Dunbar's Number. This is not a joke. Serious evolutionary biological science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Humans living in small clan groups of fewer than 150 individuals experience very little conflict. None of the kind we "advanced civilized" people would cite to describe another as an "A-hole".
Bingo. I've been saying this forever. We are NOT cut out to live in such high population densities. We are tribal at heart.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
I'm in a state so famous for a-holes that we've got our own name for them (m*ssholes) and even here I'd say they're at most a visible minority. Most people are anonymous but when I interact with them they're either nice or neutral.

Either you have a low threshold for calling someone an a-hole, you manage to find the worst in people, or you have really bad luck.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM

83 posts, read 67,104 times
Been there done that got the (t shirt). Decided to go from High Strung to love you anyway regardless of your attitude. When I hold open a door for anyone and they do not say thanks I say thank you hopefully that they will see the error of there way and say hello back. I have had bad days and years, just smile at them drives them crazy when you smile at them. HS1

Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 AM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Why are most people A-Holes? Completely serious question.
Like others have said here, in my personal experience it depends a lot on where you live. For example, I've been in West Virginia for about a month and I haven't encountered a single rude person. Not one. I moved here from South Florida, whole different story in that area. Rudeness was a way of life down there, and it was something that despite living there for nearly 6 years, I never fully got used to. I also lived in North/Central Florida and the Atlanta area for many years, the former being overall quite well mannered, the latter was kind of a mixed bag.

FWIW, I generally encounter a much higher % of a-holes in the internet than in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology