Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Enterprise Inc View Post
It pisses me off like it has to be a damn privilege to spend quality time on nights weekends holidays with your family I don't get the psychology of American's wanting to work nights and weekends haven't people heard of spending time with your family friends and lovers? Europe has better work life balance than we Americans do
When I had a couple jobs where I had to work a lot of nights and weekends it damn sure wasn't because I wanted to. I hate working nights and weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 09:36 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Your whole argument is people should only work M-F 9-5 so you/they can have a social life. What exactly would you do for your social life. There'd be no movies, malls, restaurants etc... Your argument is laughable.

If you can't figure out how to have a social life unless you're working a M-F 9-5 job, that's your problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem for people who actually work the hours/shifts you find so undesirable.
Spot on.

Sounds like OP is very, very new to the working world or is grossly unaware of the hundreds of reasons why different jobs have different demands. A classic case of extrapolating your own experience to the world in general.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Can't some things wait until Monday? Whats so urgent that needs to interrupt personal life
I'm not sure what your education or social standing may be, but try for a second to imagine what your great country would be like if police, firemen, military volunteers, bartenders, ambulance drivers, emergency room personnel, prison guards, power plant employees, utility workers, emergency vet hospitals, taxi drivers, waiters, store clerks, barbers and any one else that performs any kind of paid service outside the nine to five rotation clocked out at 1700 Friday and decided that, meh... It can wait until Monday.

The dumbing down of America continues unabated...

Old 08-07-2015, 02:41 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
When I had a couple jobs where I had to work a lot of nights and weekends it damn sure wasn't because I wanted to. I hate working nights and weekends.
Agreed! People don't usually choose to work nights because of some psychological reason. They do it because they have bills to pay! In most 24/7 settings like hospitals, the day shifts are sought after and go to those with seniority. You have to work your way up into a day shift slot.

There is one advantage to nights and weekends though. It is quieter!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:37 PM

128 posts, read 174,082 times
It is tragic. For some people, they use jobs as an excuse to get a free pass out of family time. Parents don't bond with their children or siblings, but instead spend their nights at work. However, I do get it if the extra work is needed to make ends meet.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
This is hilarious! When I arrived in Paris on a SATURDAY, the Paris Metro was running, all the stores on the Champs-Elysees were open (I was even lucky enough to be on an electronic billboard for a minute at this soccer store), and I even purchased a crepe from a street vendor. That SUNDAY, when I visited Versailles, there were people working all throughout the palace. The SNCF was also running, hence how I was able to get from Gare de Montparnasse to Versailles. On a TUESDAY and a FRIDAY, I partied well after midnight. I even stopped by a pizzeria in the Montparnasse District. The SATURDAY that I left Charles de Gaulle, I shopped and bought my mom a gift before returning to the United States.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say that people in Europe don't work nights and weekends. Some jobs have to be done at those times. If you don't like America's attitude towards work, why don't you move to and work in Europe?

Old 08-07-2015, 04:13 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Default You're not really getting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
And strippers have to work nights and weekends ! By the way, some of us actually prefer to work nights and weekends and not everyone has a family.
Firemen, cops, strippers, night watchmen. Yes they do shift work and some of those shifts are at night but what the complaint is here is about those who work 60 to 70 hours a week and are called salaried.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:15 PM

87 posts, read 132,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
This is hilarious! When I arrived in Paris on a SATURDAY, the Paris Metro was running, all the stores on the Champs-Elysees were open (I was even lucky enough to be on an electronic billboard for a minute at this soccer store), and I even purchased a crepe from a street vendor. That SUNDAY, when I visited Versailles, there were people working all throughout the palace. The SNCF was also running, hence how I was able to get from Gare de Montparnasse to Versailles. On a TUESDAY and a FRIDAY, I partied well after midnight. I even stopped by a pizzeria in the Montparnasse District. The SATURDAY that I left Charles de Gaulle, I shopped and bought my mom a gift before returning to the United States.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say that people in Europe don't work nights and weekends. Some jobs have to be done at those times. If you don't like America's attitude towards work, why don't you move to and work in Europe?

Or just find a regular stable 9 to 5 job so I can keep my sanity

Old 08-07-2015, 04:17 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
So having a regular shift job with no weekend or night work pays lower compare to weekend or night work?
Yes.

Many companies pay extra to work nights and/or weekends. My employer pays 15% more to work nights. My ex-wife worked at a hospital, and they paid shift differential for nights and for weekends.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM

87 posts, read 132,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Yes.

Many companies pay extra to work nights and/or weekends. My employer pays 15% more to work nights. My ex-wife worked at a hospital, and they paid shift differential for nights and for weekends.
Fair enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology