Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 06:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
However, in my estimation, dogs do NOT fit into the chart of "great companion qualities." They make wonderful tools, but I wouldn't talk to a hammer, would I? Cats intuitively know how to respond to and bond with their humans (okay, maybe not all cats, but a fair number of them do) without requiring all of the maintenance and training a dog does. Here's an analogy that I hope makes sense to you, because this is sometimes how I see dogs. You want something that will crush pecans, so you go out and buy a skill saw. Well, the skill saw will do the job, with some preparation and care, but why not just buy a nutcracker? The saw costs a lot of money and requires regular blade sharpening and lots of heavy maintenance to stay in working order. Then, there's always the remote chance the blade might slip and cut off one of your fingers or toes (or your neighbor's fingers or toes). Why not just use the nutcracker, seriously? Dogs require so much work and training to be useful that they're almost not worth it (in the estimation of some) just as pets. I don't want another full-time job as a pet. No part of me finds that relaxing.
I think...you're doing it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
I've had both so here is my tribute to both.

Cats

The cat is as brave as a knight
He seldom turns down a fight
be it gator or bear,
the cat doesn't care
Watch YouTube and you'll see that I'm right.

Dogs

My dog was a remarkable pet
but he didn't care for the vet
His butt hated the poke
and the pills made him choke
To him the Quack was a threat.

Finn

Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Dogs can be sweet, loyal, creatures and even smart in some ways people can't be (i.e. detect seizures, etc.). Many dog owners (or caretakers if you prefer) have similar personality traits.

Some dogs can also be outright obnoxious: dangerous, loud, overbearing in their constant (every second) and aggressive demands for attention more than cats on average.

The people attracted to the second type of dog often have a personality that matches the dog they chose. And they don't have hesitation in criticizing people who aren't fond of this type of pet. Because they are just like their pet.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:48 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Some people don't like cats because of their independent spirit- a characteristic which many of us appreciate!
Dogs, on the other hand, are obedient lil doormats. Gah. Plus they tend to smell bad, jump around, and have drippy tongues hanging out.
Yep yep yep.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A cat the size of a dog would kill people.
They're called mountain lions.
I want one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tih6dsjCg

See, though? Most big cat owners have to have special permits. The owners of vicious dog breeds, though, meh, they get a pass!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Sure dogs are harder to raise than cats. Anything worth doing is not easy. Once you've done your job you couldn't ask for a better companion.

Sorry but cats don't do near the good dogs do in this world. Not even close. Sure they're great for keeping mice and snakes at bay but let me know when cats get memorials like the one below.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Sure dogs are harder to raise than cats. Anything worth doing is not easy. Once you've done your job you couldn't ask for a better companion.

Sorry but cats don't do near the good dogs do in this world. Not even close. Sure they're great for keeping mice and snakes at bay but let me know when cats get memorials like the one below.

I'm not arguing with a dog's usefulness as a tool, worker, or whatever you want to consider it, but it takes lots of training to get the puppy to that point, and your average pet owner probably doesn't have a dog that will do that for them. Good job on digging that up, though.

Cats haven't been given nearly the chance that dogs have, though, so I don't know if it's fair to compare.
http://io9.com/a-gallery-of-cats-who...r-i-1624713212
http://www.inquisitr.com/1431831/cat...intage-photos/
http://www.vetstreet.com/cats/kitty-...zure-alert-cat

Last edited by krmb; 08-10-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
That the black death was caused by peasants killing cats who were thought to be witch minions. (The cats killed the mice/rats who were infested with fleas that spread the plague).

Some say.
Actually I don't know if this is verified but I have also read that during this time, the Jews had fewer numbers who died of The Plague because they did not share the superstition about witches and cats. They continued to keep cats to kill the rodents in their homes and barns.

Here's an interesting essay on this subject. For the part about cats in the Middle Ages at the time of the Plague, scroll down to about a quarter of the page where the picture of the little cat appears on the right and read the paragraphs regarding this time period.

Notes from a Jewish Thoreau: The Jewish view of cats

Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A cat the size of a dog would kill people.
They're called mountain lions.
Size is relative. If you are a cat owner and you shrink to the size of a mouse after being exposed to particles in a mysterious radioactive cloud, don't fall asleep in the doll house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJPe3f5Kb3s

Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Size is relative. If you are a cat owner and you shrink to the size of a mouse after being exposed to particles in a mysterious radioactive cloud, don't fall asleep in the doll house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJPe3f5Kb3s
More media "devil cat" nonsense...

It's possible the cat would have been freaked out, not agitated.

"Person, is that you? Why are you so small? What's going on? Can you reach the cat food? I'm hungry and really confused...Stay back! I don't know what's going on, and I sense strange vibrations..."

Plus, they never show us what the dog might do if it's in a playful mood...

"Master is that you? Let's play! Spat! Oh dear? What's this red stuff? Master, are you okay? Master?"

...or if the dog's aggressive...

"Woof! woof! Mouse! No, Human! Yum!"

Since it's never happened, we can only speculate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology