Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 05:51 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Most nurses i know are cat people!
This registered nurse says Damn Straight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
^^^there's no way!^^^ You may have dated a guy or two with a dog and perhaps lived with them a while, but you convey absolutely no love for dogs as well as no understanding of how to take care of them nor train them.

Other than just challenging you on this point, there is nothing more to be stated other than if you were the owner of several dogs, I can only imagine they had hard lives with you as I've never in my entire life met a dog owner (current or prior) as cold as you are about dogs. I kid you not, you come across as a stereotypical single older woman obsessed with cats. I'm sure they're good companions to you, and I'm genuinely glad for you. It's important to have love in your life, whatever form that takes it is good, both grounding and balancing. Just know that there are just as many people out there that feel the same about dogs, and their opinions about their own pets are equally as valid as yours.
Right and most dog owners who are every bit as obsessive over their freaking Fidos may take their coldness against cats a step further

I've seen countless news stories of dog lovers who kill cats for kicks. Many of these scumbags enjoy doing it, but I suppose you are excusing them?

I might qualify as a middle-aged lady who is a full-blown cat person (I am) and also a person who doesn't especially like dogs (read the OP, and you will see half the reason why I don't....the other half stems from my personal experiences with them), but I will tell you this:

I would never, EVER purposefully hurt a dog and enjoy doing it.

In fact, I'd only cause harm to a dog that was directly threatening me or one of my loved ones.

I've never met a cat person who gets their kicks harming dogs. We usually just ignore dogs as a rule.

Too bad rabid dog people can't follow suit......just ask that POS Veterinarian who is rabidly devoted to her dog, whilst she gets her kicks impaling cats with bow and arrow.

Makes me sick.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I'm more of a dog person. One of the things that bugs me about all the cat owners I've known is how blase they are about their cats being on countertops and dining tables. They think it's so cute. When I dine with those friends in their homes, invariably there is cat hair in my food. Some of those cats have been disgusting places to boot.
LOL.

I'm maniacal about keeping counters clean. We don't even have a kitchen table right now and if our cat jumps on the counter (we have two cats here and only one is likely to do it, the other one is more of a hider) he gets booted off immediately. I wipe and disinfect the countertops asap.

Our cats actually don't roam freely in the house all day. They have a cat zone complete with cat beds, toys, and a cat tree (along with food, water, and a litterbox) they retire to when we are in bed or otherwise indisposed.

While I love my cats dearly, I don't do well with tons of cat hair or damage done to things so I'm inclined to vacuum or do whatever it takes to keep the house clean. Thankfully, both our cats are very well behaved by nature and neither shed very much so I'm very lucky!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
^^^there's no way!^^^ You may have dated a guy or two with a dog and perhaps lived with them a while, but you convey absolutely no love for dogs as well as no understanding of how to take care of them nor train them.

Other than just challenging you on this point, there is nothing more to be stated other than if you were the owner of several dogs, I can only imagine they had hard lives with you as I've never in my entire life met a dog owner (current or prior) as cold as you are about dogs. I kid you not, you come across as a stereotypical single older woman obsessed with cats. I'm sure they're good companions to you, and I'm genuinely glad for you. It's important to have love in your life, whatever form that takes it is good, both grounding and balancing. Just know that there are just as many people out there that feel the same about dogs, and their opinions about their own pets are equally as valid as yours.
Fine, I'll admit it. I don't hate dogs (I just think they are an insane amount of work, and people like to exaggerate their usefulness and loyalty), but I do take an issue with some dog owners, a specific kind of dog lover who thinks no other animal should have the right to the Earth of a dog. If you own cats, you've probably run into them a few times. Some of these people actively kill cats and other animals and support measures that would actually make it okay for someone to kill them for no reason. I'm appalled by this, though, because I'm sure you wouldn't want someone to take a rifle to your dog if it somehow escaped your yard, yet they do this to pet cats in certain parts of the country all of the time, and no one seems to bat an eye. Even more appalling, some animal "experts" support this.

If Kristen Lindsey would have shot and killed a Yorkie, instead of someone's pet cat, do you think, for one minute, that she would still have her vet license? I think not. I wish the nation saw cats like that, but sadly, they don't, even though cats are legit in a lot of ways that people will not give them credit for. There are seizure alert cats, but the ADA only recognizes dogs and horses. There are intelligent, loyal, courageous cats who saved their owners' lives, but instead of celebrating that cats may be capable of being more than "just a pet" most of us write it off. One reason we probably don't know what the cat is capable of is we've gotten to the point that we won't even work with it anymore. A little while ago, people at least tried to give cats jobs, not just chasing mice, and their natural instincts allowed them to do some of those jobs well. Sure, they aren't as trainable as dogs, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do something for us. (I think most of the cat research that's been done in recent years is analogous to trying to get a fish to run a mile. We know cats are capable of learning some things that have really benefitted people. Why can't we just focus on those skills that they seem to pick up naturally?)

I feel if the perception of the cat were changed, maybe we wouldn't have all of these animal cruelty cases, and maybe people would stop accusing the cat lovers of being the "crazy cat ladies and men." Maybe it would even be a way of opening up a dialogue between "incompatible" personality types. It seems very strange to me that in a era where the socially inept humans are flourishing, the socially inept animals are still being given a very raw deal.

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 06:31 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 06:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
How did this escalate to permission or love of animal cruelty?

That is nuts.

Dog lovers don't wish torture on kitties or vice versa.
People who do are not representative of the dog or cat loving population. They are representative of the psycho population.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'm not interested in having cats as pets. I enjoy my dogs. I couldn't care less who likes what pets more, and think the whole "rivalry" thing apparently wrapped up in being "a cat person" or "a dog person" is bizarre. Who really cares?

I will say that anybody who is violently anti-dog/afraid of/disgusted by/annoyed by dogs is welcome not to hang out at my house. I have dogs, they do what dogs do. Deal with it or don't come over. My house, my dogs.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How did this escalate to permission or love of animal cruelty?

That is nuts.

Dog lovers don't wish torture on kitties or vice versa.
People who do are not representative of the dog or cat loving population. They are representative of the psycho population.
There sure are a lot of them that claim to be devoted dog lovers, then.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Why does "dog lover" have to equal "cat hater" and vice versa?

I don't hate cats. I just don't want them as pets.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not interested in having cats as pets. I enjoy my dogs. I couldn't care less who likes what pets more, and think the whole "rivalry" thing apparently wrapped up in being "a cat person" or "a dog person" is bizarre. Who really cares?

I will say that anybody who is violently anti-dog/afraid of/disgusted by/annoyed by dogs is welcome not to hang out at my house. I have dogs, they do what dogs do. Deal with it or don't come over. My house, my dogs.

I think it all goes back to which pets you were raised with. I remember when I couldn't stand cats, because the one I owned as a young child used to scratch me, and I, like some other people now, also thought that they weren't trainable. Then, I got another young calico kitten that bonded with me and stayed around for many years. I watched her chase off dogs, come when called, and generally be a great companion. I still wasn't sold on cats, though. That didn't happen until I got yet another kitty and a book on clicker training. Then, I fell in love. I learned that cats are sociable, friendly, and even trainable. If I could only have one type of animal for the rest of my life, it would probably be the cat. We just have so much in common, and they really are a low maintenance pet (comparatively).

As for housekeeping, one of my landladies was a "crazy dog lady" who kept several small dogs in her house. I never said anything when I came over, and the dogs had mostly taken over the house. I'm usually fine with a handful of small dogs in a house. More than five, though, and it does get annoying. I don't have an issue with large dogs at all, as long as they are not aggressive or poorly behaved and are kept clean. In fact, I like hounds, collies, Chihuahuas, and similar dog breeds. They're not compatible with cats, though, and they're difficult to train (because they're so smart), so I don't own any. If someone offered me an elderly Bassett (that's already earned canine good citizenship) that didn't chase cats, though, I would probably take it in if I were able. I've owned some remarkably intelligent dogs, and I do know that they are a special animal. I just can't bond with them, though. Training is also something I've never been able to do well.

Last edited by krmb; 08-11-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I'm more of a dog person. One of the things that bugs me about all the cat owners I've known is how blase they are about their cats being on countertops and dining tables. They think it's so cute. When I dine with those friends in their homes, invariably there is cat hair in my food. Some of those cats have been disgusting places to boot.
I agree about cats on counters!

As far as kitties being in disgusting places. . . what's even more disgusting a dog licking themselves or sticking their nose in another dog's rear end and then licking someone's face!

Pet hair? Dogs and cats both shed hair, so there's no difference in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology