Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,744,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Your dog's basic instinct makes it a threat to most other people. That threat is always there - sometimes acted upon and documented and sometimes not. But it is there, everyone knows it, while millions irrationally deny it.
You absolutely have no understanding of dogs. Your fear and demonizing of dogs is irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 02:03 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,686,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
You absolutely have no understanding of dogs. Your fear and demonizing of dogs is irrational.
Think what you will.

Something I learned many, many decades ago is that those who zealously defend aggressive dog behavior are as easy to reason with as their dogs - or zealous gun rights defenders. And that is - tragically - why thousands more children will be maimed next year and the year after that by dogs that clueless owners insist "would never hurt anyone".

The OP asked a an intelligent question....not seen nearly often enough....that deserved some support, which is why I responded. Having done that, I am done here.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,459,909 times
It is really easy to get a cat to scratch you, bite, you, pounce on your foot, draw blood, etc., without even meaning to, and those can result in some nasty, nasty infections.

Does it naturally follow, then, that "a cat's aggressive instinct makes it a threat to humans?" Cats are certainly aggressive predators, by nature.

I don't think the OP asked an intelligent question at all, FWIW.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,783,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
I'm really beginning to dislike dogs.

Visiting others is a real pain if they have dogs. Their dogs will either go psycho jumping and nibbling at you, especially when this unwanted, or want nothing to do with you when you try to pet them. Then you always get the comment "My dog is so nice; it would never hurt anyone."Dogs can seemingly do no wrong no matter how poorly they behave.

I just don't understand how obsessed people get about their dogs and it seems to be a growing trend with dogs seemingly everywhere you go. I don't hear about people being called crazy dog people but someone with a couple cats is automatically labeled a crazy cat Person.

Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?
Just because others have a preference that you do not share, it does not make that preference 'bizarre'.

I happen to be more fond of cats than dogs, but I certainly understand the attributes in dogs of which some people are very fond, in the same way I understand the attributes in cats of which some people are similarly fond.

Again, this is merely an issue of preference - it's not about you being right and others being wrong.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:26 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,409,536 times
IMO, people that do not like cats but like dogs do so because dogs are easier to train and control. Cats are not. Dogs are more likely to take orders and cats not so much. It's a control thing. I like all animals but I like cats more than dogs
because of their independent nature.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:05 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,237,357 times
Dogs are better organized and better at fundraising, so they can pay for better lobbyists and publicity agents to polish their image.

Also, dogs are good.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:53 PM

424 posts, read 429,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR25 View Post
I'm really beginning to dislike dogs.

Visiting others is a real pain if they have dogs. Their dogs will either go psycho jumping and nibbling at you, especially when this unwanted, or want nothing to do with you when you try to pet them. Then you always get the comment "My dog is so nice; it would never hurt anyone."Dogs can seemingly do no wrong no matter how poorly they behave.

I just don't understand how obsessed people get about their dogs and it seems to be a growing trend with dogs seemingly everywhere you go. I don't hear about people being called crazy dog people but someone with a couple cats is automatically labeled a crazy cat Person.

Cats don't go around killing people, terrorizing them (to the extent that dogs do) and tend to be much quieter. There tends to be a double standard in behavior. A scratch or paw from a cat (without even leaving a scratch on your skin) is seen as pure malice while a dog mauling (i.e. jumping, scratching, snapping) you when you come over to it just means its "excited" or "it doesn't know better." Also somehow cats are seen as uncaring and selfish pets yet dogs are "man's best friend."

Anyone else notice this bizarre phenomenon?
I'm with you bro. I've never been much of a dog guy; I much prefer cats. They're cleaner, smarter and usually better behaved. Also less maintenance.

Some people just need that unconditional attention and worship that dogs so readily give. Yes--they are loyal. But with a cat you have to earn their respect and love, since as all of us cat people know, they're smarter and more discerning. And yeah--sometimes friend's having badly-behaved and rambunctious dogs can be a deal-breaker.

As far as gong over to their place. I actually broke-up with a woman once due in no small part to the fact here filthy dogs would be all over me every time I went over there. Dog hair everywhere. Even in her bed! How people can accept this is beyond me.

I consider it a character flaw. One of those folks who like animals more than people. The type who hears a TV news story: "Today a family of five was burned alive in a house fire in downtown Pheonix. Also killed in the blaze were there two dogs."

And they exclaim, "Ohh...those poor dogs!"

Old 09-14-2015, 06:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,459,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post

As far as gong over to their place. I actually broke-up with a woman once due in no small part to the fact here filthy dogs would be all over me every time I went over there. Dog hair everywhere. Even in her bed! How people can accept this is beyond me.
Cat hair can certainly be a similar nuisance. Shedding isn't an issue specific to dogs and not cats, by any means.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,547,172 times
What a pointless thread. A person can love dogs and not want to hurt cats, and vice versa. It's also possible for people to enjoy both and have a multi-species household.

My husband and I have three dogs, a cat and an African Grey parrot. I love them all. However, after having the cat for a while, it has been reinforced that I am definitely a dog person and doubt I will ever have another cat. Still, I love our cat dearly and he has a home with us for life. He is not the stereotypical cat. He is very sweet and friendly and loves everyone. If someone comes over for a visit he will be in their lap, purring and rubbing faces and cuddling. When I wake up in the morning, he is usually curled up with me.

I disagree that cats are so much easier than dogs. They are just different. If my cat is upset about something he will poop on the floor, and I have to figure out what his problem is. If my dogs go on the floor, it's because they couldn't hold it and couldn't get outside. Yes, my dogs bark but the cat is a big whiner. The dogs eat gross things, but the cat isn't much better. He's not cleaner, he's just full of his own spit. However, they all pale in comparison to the bird. SHE is high maintenance.

As for visitors, if they hate animals then I don't want them in my home. Actually, I would prefer not to even associate with them. Our animals are family and our home is their home. There are feathers and fur, barking, meowing and bird chatter, and people can choose to deal with it or stay away.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,744,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Think what you will.

Something I learned many, many decades ago is that those who zealously defend aggressive dog behavior are as easy to reason with as their dogs - or zealous gun rights defenders. And that is - tragically - why thousands more children will be maimed next year and the year after that by dogs that clueless owners insist "would never hurt anyone".

The OP asked a an intelligent question....not seen nearly often enough....that deserved some support, which is why I responded. Having done that, I am done here.
The question is pointless. I actually think there are just as many people out there that hate cats. I happen to love both cats and dogs. I shared my home with cats for 20+ years. I lost my last one 6 months ago. He was 18. Now I just have two dogs.

I'm not defending aggressive dog behavior at all but not all dogs are aggressive, a concept which you seem unable to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology