Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Oh, and I also believe cats are more loyal than dogs. A dog might go to anyone who throws him a piece of hamburger, but cats aren't so easily fooled.
Not true.

MRI studies have shown their *person* is very specific for dogs.

Cats are the beowtchy mean girls while dogs like to be friendly and social with everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 05:58 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not true.

MRI studies have shown their *person* is very specific for dogs.

Cats are the beowtchy mean girls while dogs like to be friendly and social with everyone.

Why is there so much cat hatred on this thread?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 AM

Sometimes, I feel like the world is backwards. Yes, cats should be allowed to be service animals. People should consider cats a suitable companion, like a dog. They should not at all be stereotyped as aloof and unfriendly, because they aren't. They don't like loud noises and have very sensitive hearing; that doesn't mean that they are aloof and shallow. There should be cat training classes and cat shows, like there are dog training classes and dog shows. Aggressive dogs should be shown up for what they are, and it shouldn't be the cat's fault for walking into a place where people can't control their dogs. Strays should be eliminated and either adopted out or neutered and released so that they can't continue to produce new generations of strays. Kittens should be socialized with all animals and people and grow up to become cats that do consider themselves as members of the family. It's unfair, in my estimation, for people to not give an animal the chance to become something before they claim that it is unequivocally not that thing. We cat owners know from experience that cats are very intelligent creatures, regardless of what claims the so-called pet experts make.

Alas, the poor quiet introvert and the high functioning autistic know the plight of the cat all too well. We're frequently looked over in society in favor of the loud dumb extrovert who mixes business with pleasure and makes his living off of making other people uncomfortable. We, as a society are prisoners to the silent sociopaths that make life unbearable when they don't get their way. Rumors, gossip, and fear of losing face or having our reputations hurt keep most of us in line, and those of us, like the pretty kitty, who don't seem to "get it" are demonized and marginalized, in some cases even institutionalized. We see past the social games (or sometimes can't see the social games well enough to play them) and we get into all kinds of trouble over our sincere communication blunders. We're at times stereotyped as less intelligent, because we don't talk much or brag about what we know. We're content observers who understand the processes but never have enough confidence to partake. When we are finally given a chance, we prove to others only what they already "know," and hide what we can really do in favor of the familiar. It's the 21st Century, though. What the socially challenged couldn't do in the past, they can do in the present. Why not give nature's introvert a chance, too?

Last edited by krmb; 08-09-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Cats are evil things.. BUT I really hate cat OWNERS... They are as a whole pretty much crappy people...
I like to read one stupid remark per day in order to feel okay about myself. Today YOUR remark was the one!

Thank you . . .

Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,707 times
My favourite animals are birds, both pet and wild birds.

Second most liked animals are dogs.

At the very bottom of the totem pole, for me, are cats. I don't hate them, though, (except perhaps for Kiki who lives next door) and will pat the occasional cat on the street. I've got two in particular I don't mind, a huge orange tabby (I call him "Clockwork Orange") and our next door neighbour's cat, "Whiskey (Howl)".

I do dislike the other next-door neighbour's cat because it roams and is a killer. I saw it bolt under their balcony with a squirrel in its maw. I was horrified.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:19 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Not all cats are aloof and anti-social, not all dogs are slobbering idiots. Both are smart enough that their behavior will depend on how they're raised. The stereotypes are there for a reason, though, dogs are more social and cats more solitary. Owning a dog is a greater responsibility--the social nature of dogs means that they need more training. Their larger size means that dogs can cause more damage.

At least in this country cats get more legal leeway--no one would be allowed to let their dog to roam free through a neighborhood but many cat "owners" have outdoor cats that spend only nominal amounts of time in that person's yard.

As to dog people and cat people, it always puzzles me why there is so much conflict. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with either group (although each group has its crazy members).

Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Why is there so much cat hatred on this thread?
I think that, all in all, people have been pretty good. I haven't seen any outright hatred, just a couple of silly comments that we really shouldn't take too seriously. I'm an lover of all animals but I have a particular soft spot for cats. Two cats independently adopted me several years ago and have been a part of my family ever since.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

At the very bottom of the totem pole, for me, are cats. I don't hate them, though, (except perhaps for Kiki who lives next door) and will pat the occasional cat on the street. I've got two in particular I don't mind, a huge orange tabby (I call him "Clockwork Orange") and our next door neighbour's cat, "Whiskey (Howl)".

I do dislike the other next-door neighbour's cat because it roams and is a killer. I saw it bolt under their balcony with a squirrel in its maw. I was horrified.
The cat's owner could prevent this, though, by (a) keeping the cat on a leash for outings or (b) keeping the cat inside and not allowing it out unless supervised.

Cats do have a very strong prey drive, but so do some dog breeds, and no one ever complains about them chasing and injuring cats and other small animals. I don't get it. It still reads "double standard" to me. It's conventional wisdom that "cats and dogs are natural enemies," but "cats are killers" when they do what comes natural to them? No one will give them a pass? The poor cat can't win.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 AM

445 posts, read 770,884 times
I too dislike dogs that want to jump all over you or incessantly bark

Old 08-09-2015, 12:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

I had a pet bird once- a canary- when I was a little kid.
My cat managed to get its cage door open and ate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology