Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:52 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa-bi View Post
a volonteer in a social organisation. It helps a lot to share your time with people who are happy that someone has some time to share with them!7
My thought, exactly!

First off, isolating in your room takes on a life of it's own, and actually keeps you depressed. While I agree that school would be an excellent option, (and would greatly encourage it!) in the meantime, find somewhere where you can volunteer. I can assure you that there are plenty of organizations that are dying for volunteers due to necessity and lack of funding. For you, I truly think that if you found yourself around others (which is KEY!) along with helping others in a volunteer capacity, you will feel better about yourself. You do have something to offer and give, no matter how depressed you maybe. Remember: Volunteers are held in high esteem, as they are wanted and appreciated! Yes, look into school, but definitely try to find someplace that you would have an interest in, where you are surrounded by others who appreciate you and want you there, and where you are actually doing something that is helping to others. I can assure you, it would go far in terms of your self-esteem, and in all likelihood, you would feel less depressed. And yes, growing up in foster care plays a role in anybody's life. It's not easy (to put it mildly). You never really bond with any one person, hence the tantamount importance that the role your girlfriend plays in your life.

So my advice? School, and definitely volunteer! It's a good feeling to feel needed, and right now, it definitely feels like you are someone who feels the need to be needed in your life!

Take gentle care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 11:11 PM

327 posts, read 398,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseHelpMe1234 View Post
right, i feel like me and my girlfriend are drifting apart, we had a bad breakup a couple of weeks ago, got back together a few days ago! she just seems off with me.....what i want to know is how to cope if it does end up not working, because i do not have any friends or family i can speak too. i constantly sit in my room because i have nothing to do and it's so depressing i feel like life is not worth it. can someone give me advice on how to be happy. i'm only 20 and i dont want to be lonely my whole life. where i live the people are scum bags and drug addicts so i have no chance of making any friends around here, i still currently live with the mother. she's an alcoholic and doesn't give a **** about any of her kids, ive explained to her how much i want her to change she just wont.... can someone please advise me on how to cope on my own i dont want to sit here feeling sad with depressive/suicidal thoughts. i've also been in foster care since i was a baby and just got out at 18, maybe thats a reason i feel lonely too?
Move out of your housing situation as soon as you can and start surrounding yourself with clean people that will lift you up.

Go to the gym and get your heart rate going, and start doing competitive sports like basketball at the gym. Just get around some winners. You can do it.

Stop drinking and smoking, if possible. Those chemicals will throw you off.

Also, go to the library often, and start researching topics you enjoy and start reading. Educate yourself, if you can't afford to go to school.

Lastly, get your rest, and give thanks.

And drink a lot of water!

You will be fine. Don't stress out!

If you can quit drinking and smoking, you will be half way there. I promise.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 PM

479 posts, read 431,534 times
Check out the AmeriCorps, perhaps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology