Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:31 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times

Advertisements

I've done this all my life. It's probably most common in children, but I'm in my mid-40s and still do it. My ex, with whom I spent almost 15 years also did this, and we both would laugh and joke about it and neither of us knew other adults who thought this way.

To anthropomorphize things is to assign or ascribe human characteristics to an object. Now, lots of us do this with animals; that's not what I'm talking about. Any pet lover anthropomorphizes their pets to some degree. I'm talking about inanimate objects.

Examples from adulthood:
--When buying Christmas ornaments that were little animals, I really only wanted two, but there were three left. I bought all three because I "couldn't leave that last one there all alone."
--I collect vintage/rustic pigs, so I'm on ebay searching "pig" a lot. Sometimes I'll buy an inexpensive little pig just because "it looked sad, like it needed a home." So I buy it and add it to my collection shelf with has tons of little pigs.
--If I'm in a store like Williams Sonoma or Bed Bath & Beyond, if I see a loose spatula or spoon or some other utensil just lying at the bottom of the wall of utensils, I "hang it back up with its friends."
--In the grocery store, if I see some stray item, like a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup, I'll take it back to where the Campbell's soup is, and put it back with its "friends" on the Tomato soup shelf.
--I have a whole set of stainless steel flatware, 12 pieces of each. I realized that one of the teaspoons is missing, and I actually had the thought "Awww, poor spoon, it's not with its family anymore."
--If I am throwing away an old pair of shoes, I tie them together so they won't get separated from each other.

Examples from my childhood:
--Stuffed animals or any object made to look like an animal had its own special place, where it could see the room, and talk to its friends
--Stuffed animals would take turns sleeping with me, so that none of them would feel neglected
--If I ever lost a toy, I would be upset, not just about me no longer having the toy, but about the toy's feelings, being lost and scared and wishing to be found.

I don't really think about the childhood examples as an adult, but I do still feel the impulse sometimes, as kind of a cute nostalgic throwback. The adulthood examples happen all the time. Now in no way do I truly believe these objects have thoughts or feelings. It's just a little impulse I get, so I buy something or move something, I guess because it makes me feel better. I remember when my boyfriend and I first met, we were both so shocked that we both had this tendency.

There must be other people who do this, even if they don't admit it to people in real life. So I guess an anonymous forum is the best place to share it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,561 times
Sometimes when I shop in the thrift store, i'll come across old porcelain cat figurines, or scattered, out-of-place army men next to the books or plates, and wonder "I wonder if the cat/army man feels sad that they're away from their tribe" haha

Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Most of the time no when you describe it like that.
I did name my old computer but that's because I had definitely seen signs that the computer had a persona. It would have been creepy had I not gotten used to it. I don't know if it was possessed or the one who made the computer unintentionally created a persona but it didn't matter to me either way. That old Emachine was really something
Other than that, I used to have posters in my room and I would be iffy about dressing in front of them since they were of actual people.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 35,483 times
My husband always laughs at me because when I throw something away that we have had in our home for awhile, I say, "thank you for your ___. I wish you the best." So weird! I have anthropomorphized objects since childhood, but usually I just talk to them or give them a quick touch if I feel bad for them. I don't think I have ever bought something extra because I felt bad for it. I read that people with my personality type, INFP, tend to do this. I wonder if you are also an INFP.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,223 times
My husband does this in some fashion. lol. He ascribed emotions to an old car, for years, and the kids grew up also feeling sad that the car was 'crying' in the driveway. It got so bad that when it was time for this particular car to go to the dump, we had to do it while the kids were at school.

Another time we were going out, and he went back in the house to look for a missing item we needed to take with us. He was taking forever so I came back in the house to see what was going on. He didn't hear me. I watched quietly as he found the object and while bending down to pick it up, pointed to it elaborately and said 'There you are' - in the form of a deliberate talking burp. The fact that he didn't know I was watching is the part I find hilarious.

Yes, it's fun being married to a 9 year old.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM

714 posts, read 747,026 times
I honestly don't do this at all. Doesn't mean I'm not clinically insane, but I just haven't done this. My lunacy takes other forms.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
Definitely not to the degree you explain. I will talk to things I work with a lot, but I have no issue throwing them away at the end of their life. My wife kisses food before throwing it away, as a "I'm sorry" gesture. I find that weird, but whatever, I'm weird in other ways.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelachase4 View Post
My husband always laughs at me because when I throw something away that we have had in our home for awhile, I say, "thank you for your ___. I wish you the best." So weird! I have anthropomorphized objects since childhood, but usually I just talk to them or give them a quick touch if I feel bad for them. I don't think I have ever bought something extra because I felt bad for it. I read that people with my personality type, INFP, tend to do this. I wonder if you are also an INFP.
No, I'm actually an ISTJ on most tests, but sometimes INTJ. I think I must be in the middle of the N--S continuum.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Wow, I have never heard of this. I don't even talk to plants.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Apart from my ex and myself, I've never really heard anyone else talk about doing this. However, I have known several people who anthropomorphize their cars. They give the car a nickname, or talk to it, encouraging it to start, or begging it to go farther on an empty tank. I've even known people who once in while put premium gas in their car (when they usually get Regular) and they say they wanted to "give their car a treat." Sometimes they even talk about it like a bribe: they give the car this "special treat" with the hope that the car will return he favor and "be good" or keep running longer despite a problem they know is impending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology