Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:36 AM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times

Advertisements

Just clowns... I hate those creepy b******s!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Yes.
But not how you think.

I am a face reader. I can tell in a brief moment if you are nice, kind, unreasonable, generally a b***ch, etc.

People's character is all over their face.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:21 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
I judge someone based on how they look at me.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Due to a severe handicap i get judged everyday i go out in public. Some males think i should speak only when spoken too. It goes way beyond that. I am sure many know that.You only lose when you let that stuff bother you.
Wow, that's a rough way to be received. The only judging that is appropriate to apply to handicapped people is whether or not they can use any assistance with a particular task. And then, always ask before you attempt to help. Any of us could have been born with a handicap, or acquire one at any age.

I have to admit that I sometimes feel bad for what the handicapped have to go through, but I never feel sorry for them. That's just condescending.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:26 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I judge someone based on how they look at me.
That I can get behind!

Old 08-29-2015, 12:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Beautiful people always have an advantage.
Beauty can be a curse, as well (I would not know from personal experience, though ). Suppose someone with the brain of Stephen Hawkings looked like Lonnie Anderson, Dolly Parton, or Tom Brady?....

Also, some people with great personal magnetism or beauty sometimes coast on this aspect of themselves, and fail to develop a more substantial mind.....

Why is is that there are no (generally speaking)

Beautiful politicians, preachers, doctors, professors, nuns, bus drivers, garbage men, repair people, dentists...you get the drift.

It would be an interesting study to assess the B factor by occupation....

Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I think I size people up people less by their appearance and more for their character and emotional state. Are they angry and explosive? Are they confused? Sad?

Are they polite? Considerate? Friendly?

Those are the sorts of things I notice the most. Then I decide what part I may play in interaction with them, if any.

I think discernment when we meet another human is instinctual and is basically a safety mechanism. We first decide whether we can protect ourselves physically and then second, emotionally, from any possible threat. It's an age-old reaction and can be so subconscious we don't even recognize it's there.

At that point our own personalities kick in and we may connect, reject, help, whatever the situation calls for depending on what kind of a person we are and past experiences.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Everyone judges people on how they look (and about a million other things). Making observations and assessing is an automatic part of interacting with others.

Whether or not you HOLD ON TO those initial impressions, whether or not they are proven to be accurate of indicative of any greater truth, is more the question.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:26 PM

24,116 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If people are being honest, I believe EVERYONE judges on appearances!
To some extent, I think that is this is true. I also find that in a circle of friends, people who take care of themselves, tend to have friends who do the same. People who let themselves go, have friends who do not tend to their appearance.

There are many reasons for this. Let's be honest.

Everyone sizes up people using different standards. How is their grammar? Do they seem cheerful or grumpy? Are they the type of people who make racial or sexist jokes? Do they keep up with current events? Are they set in their ways - or open to other people or new things?

Our appearance tells others a lot about another person's values and lifestyle. When I meet a middle aged woman who is dressed in 1980s clothes, with big hair and 2" fingernails, there is a high probability that we will not have much in common.

However, I think that much of this is dome on the subconscious level.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-29-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 01:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If people are being honest, I believe EVERYONE judges on appearances!
^^This. It's human nature. Everybody does it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology