Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:47 PM

657 posts, read 407,707 times

Advertisements

The article,(on line), "On Being Sane In Insane Places" demonstrates the unrecognized bogyman syndrome is still rampantly in vogue in adults.

We overcame the fear of 'bogyman'; why have we not yet generalized, across-the-board to all concepts, and avoid/prevent needless emotional suffering/hurt ?

Last edited by sakoz-2; 09-03-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 PM

424 posts, read 430,919 times
Since you gave us no link and I have never heard of this Psych diagnosis--and it's not in my DSM-V--it would be nice if you could provide a link? Cuz.....as it is, I have no idea what you're talking about! LOL

Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 PM

Just search for; "On Being Sane In Insane Places"
You have 'no idea' what I'm talking about?; you make my point. When you "unwittingly believe" you don't recognize doing it; and so experience the effects/results anyway.

Were you afraid of the 'bogyman' as a child? (some people claim they never were) if you were afraid of bogyman , why did you stop? The memory of bogyman is still in you, what 'neutralized' it? The concept is still the same as then.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
An interesting experiment by a psychologist. But, I'm not clear how it relates to bogymen or unwitting belief?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
An interesting experiment by a psychologist. But, I'm not clear how it relates to bogymen or unwitting belief?
You read the article? I'm sorry it's so long.
To help clarify, what is the common denominator of:
1. The placebo effect
2. The bogyman fear
3. The "interesting experiment".

Southpaw; Would you also tell us the common denominator.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Think of emoting to thought. It's a fact we react to thoughts, we also react to perceptions.
We are born innately hard wired to react to perceptions; but we learned, (or were conditioned) to react to thoughts.
The utility of reacting to perceptions is for safety/survival/adaptation, etc.
What is the utility of reacting to thoughts? ( dogs automatically salivate at the sight of food, Pavlov conditioned them to salivate to the sound of a bell. Did that 'switcheroo' have any value for the dogs?)
For one thing, reacting to thoughts, we extend our scope beyond instincts/reflexes, etc.
By learning to react to thoughts, we have the option of creating thoughts as stimulus and so tailor/custom experiences.
Animals go to watering holes by instinct; we go to the mall by choosing to do so.
My objective/motive is to help people recognize what they are already doing unwittingly; as demonstrated by 1.The placebo effect. 2. The bogyman fear. 3. The interesting experiment.
It's empowering to distinguish between perceptions and thought. It makes a difference to recognize the difference.
Could a bully 'hurt' your feelings if you recognize you unwittingly believe what he/she says?
When you stopped believing the concept 'bogyman', you instantly stopped fearing it by recognizing it was only a thought.
Would you be interested in exploring 'believing', we all do it without understanding it more.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I have no idea what On Being Sane in Insane Places has to do with a so-called "bogyman syndrome."
This was a famous study in 1973 that challenged psychiatric over-diagnosis and institutionalization. All first year psychology students learn about the experiment.
Here is a copy of the original publication:
On Being Sane In Insane Places

Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,765 times
Ask any kid who was ever abused, or the families of murder Vics, go ahead an ask if they believe in the boogeyman.

(what 'neutralized' it? )

A "Take Down" by the tip of the Sword called Justice.

The world is filled with people who are less then human. The trick is recognizing this fact and having no fear. Stay Frosty.

If this is what you mean, OP, I have no problem believing in the Boogeyman, too many bad people out there not to believe, and too many good people to defend..

Old 09-04-2015, 11:02 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
OP -- you may actually have some interesting ideas to share, but it is hard to tell due to your writing style. May I suggest that you make an effort to make your "theme" a bit more concise, and express it in simple English? I could sit here and guess at it, but since its your post, and you presumably want to engage in conversation, you may want to facilitate that before people lose interest.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I clicks on viewing all his posts, and he seems to only post about this bogeyman syndrome. I think he made it up for his own use, because the only reference I can find to it being used officially, is about over-protective parenting of young children, and that doesn't seem relevant here. Neither does the "On Being Sane in Insane Places" reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology