Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,012,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Thanks Bud and I am just being Frank.
Well this thread has gone up in smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 12:00 AM

6,353 posts, read 6,211,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
How do you personally deal with pent-up hatred, rage, anger, resentment, past slights, and disgust? How do you re-direct such feelings in a healthy and constructive way?
Punch people i the face.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 AM

914 posts, read 1,126,673 times
Hate is a very destructive force. We have a very self-centered relative that we cannot just cut out of our lives, who we both can't stand. She is financially controlling and abusing an elderly person we're related to, and the elderly person allows it (her mother). I wish we could cut her out of our lives, or do something legally (too expensive right now), but in any case, if I sit around all day hating on this person, what good does it do me? I need to worry about myself, my own life and make it better. Life goes on, and hate is just too destructive a force. It also causes health issues as it generates added stress. Who needs it, better to go off and do something positive for yourself and what you can control. By hating on them, they control you in a way, and I won't let them have the satisfaction, although at times I wish I personally knew Tony Soprano, LOL!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:44 AM

657 posts, read 405,392 times
Is 'calm' an emotion or the absence of emotions?

Has anyone ever said something that 'hurt' your feelings or said something that 'angered' you?
...Amygdalas react to thoughts...(even to thoughts that calm amygdalas).

Did you ever see a skilled athlete 'choke/flub' a easy shot? The ones they easily do in practice; but in competition 'miss'? What might they be thinking just before the shot?
Before and during a test, giving a speech, or wanting to perform at their best, what do some people think that makes them anxious/nervous?, such emotions interfere with what they are about to do.

Think of when you fell deeply in love, or think of what you like to do; what do you feel when just thinking those thoughts?

Amygdalas produce emotions; prefrontal lobes produce thoughts. AMYGDALAS REACT EMOTIONALLY TO THOUGHTS.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:46 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,449,865 times
Quote:
How do you personally deal with pent-up hatred, rage, anger, resentment, past slights, and disgust? How do you re-direct such feelings in a healthy and constructive way?
Krav maga to vent and swimming to relax

Old 09-19-2015, 08:52 AM

773 posts, read 779,255 times
Quote:
Acceptance.

You can't change others, you can only change yourself. If you find you are dealing with feelings that are boiling up inside, you have to look inside. The world is not here to make us happy. The responsibility lies with us and us alone.

The process of changing your life goes something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMvPpGnmIzs

Old 09-19-2015, 12:22 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,386,265 times
I haven't seen anyone else thus far (unless I missed it) bring up that there are people who, as the OP expressed it, are consumed with hatred, rage, anger, resentment, et al but toward God (if they even subscribe to the notion of there being a theistic-type supreme creator being). That is, they are perhaps angry for conditions they were born with; for how life has gone for them through the years; for real or perceived injustices perpetuated upon them; for said "God" not being there for them and instead remaining utterly silent, hidden, unresponsive, and undemonstrative; and so on). This isn't saying that there even is such a thing as "God" of whatever type or conception (that is another discussion) but said people often direct their hatred, rage, anger, resentment, et al at whatever conception they hold on to of "God". I don't know if this means they actually believe there truly is a so-called "God" or if they are not necessarily confident themselves or set on that idea but just want something (anything) to fume at and direct their rage to . . . and, in this case, something who is taught or passed on to them as being responsible for their very creation, who is most often portrayed as being "all-powerful" "all-knowing" "all-loving" et al and then having full control/dominion and oversight over their entire being and lives (as well as everyone else's entire being and lives).

I'm sure there are plenty of our fellow humans who ae consumed with hatred, rage, anger, resentment, et al toward whatever conception they hold on to of "God".

Last edited by UsAll; 09-19-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 01:50 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,206,033 times
My entire life has been about learning how to NOT get agitated at other peoples BS.

Its not easy but weed helps enormously.

They're all running around like chooks with their heads cut off, im chilling with a bong on the sofa.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:58 PM

657 posts, read 405,392 times
[quote=UsAll;41259260

I'm sure there are plenty of our fellow humans who are consumed with hatred, rage, anger, resentment, et al toward whatever conception they hold on to of "God".[/QUOTE]

Good point; thoughts 'trigger/cue/evoke' emotions. You point out that "emotions" are directed 'towards' conceptions. (full, closed circle).
quote:"...toward whatever conception they hold on to OF "God". (It's easily missed, conception OF anything, is not the thing ; if there's no 'bogyman', there is a conception of a non-entity and it's the conception that's feared; [whether the conception has a referent or not]...) {the conception is just as much a placebo as the sugar pill, it's the thought OF medicine that's reacted to}.

Learning to calm our amygdalas is a great asset. Choosing the emotions we want to experience is another.
Amazing what we can do with 'thoughts'; without recognizing it's done with thoughts.

I would like to make an important point using the 'Nine dot puzzle'. When a person who has not seen the puzzle tries to solve it, they, (usually) can't. What they do is assume the 9 dots make a 'square' and that they have,to connect the dots 'within' (their assumed,square) they don't recognize overlaying on the dots.
The 'bogyman' is also an assumption, not recognized as such and also reacted to as if real.

Last edited by sakoz-2; 09-19-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 05:48 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,386,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoz-2 View Post
Good point; thoughts 'trigger/cue/evoke' emotions. You point out that "emotions" are directed 'towards' conceptions. (full, closed circle).
quote:"...toward whatever conception they hold on to OF "God". (It's easily missed, conception OF anything, is not the thing ; if there's no 'bogyman', there is a conception of a non-entity and it's the conception that's feared; [whether the conception has a referent or not]...) {the conception is just as much a placebo as the sugar pill, it's the thought OF medicine that's reacted to}.

Learning to calm our amygdalas is a great asset. Choosing the emotions we want to experience is another.
Amazing what we can do with 'thoughts'; without recognizing it's done with thoughts.

I would like to make an important point using the 'Nine dot puzzle'. When a person who has not seen the puzzle tries to solve it, they, (usually) can't. What they do is assume the 9 dots make a 'square' and that they have,to connect the dots 'within' (their assumed,square) they don't recognize overlaying on the dots.
The 'bogyman' is also an assumption, not recognized as such and also reacted to as if real.
I don't disagree. As I said in my posting:
I don't know if this means they actually believe there truly is a so-called "God" or if they are not necessarily confident themselves or set on that idea but just want something (anything) to fume at and direct their rage to . . . and, in this case, something who is taught or passed on to them as being responsible for their very creation, who is most often portrayed as being "all-powerful" "all-knowing" "all-loving" et al and then having full control/dominion and oversight over their entire being and lives (as well as everyone else's entire being and lives).

In other words, the God meme may well be an imagined notion but, even if they feel in the deeper core of their beings that they suspect that "God" is an imagined and unprovable concept, they still feel a need or want to have something (anything) to fume at and direct their rage to (about how life turned out or transpires for them, et al). The God meme (even if it is, in fact, imaginary) becomes a punching bag for them to vent on. I've done it myself (even when I was a deep and invested believer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology