Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:26 PM

116 posts, read 138,011 times

Advertisements

I find that men find me physically attractive, but hate my personality.

I've been called weird since childhood, but always brushed it off. I always thought "being yourself" is the best case scenario, but being myself has gotten me nowhere.

I have an "off putting" very dark sense of humor (dead baby jokes and the like)

I can either be incredibly pessimistic or borderline flight attendant perky.

I get called weird by just about EVERYONE, but no one ever wants to help me be "less weird". Like, I wouldn't even know where to start.

And I'm not "weird" in the quirky goofy cute kind of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Examples?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
"Eccentricity" is pretty broad - it's impossible to say.

Yeah, some people are going to be "put off" by dead baby jokes, etc. But, there are infinite ways a person could be "eccentric."

Being "weird" in a way that alienates you and presents a barrier to social opportunities you want to have (don't know if this is the case for you, given your past posts and username) is simply a matter of failing to be aware of what's socially appropriate/failing to choose to comply with what's socially appropriate. Nobody can help you "be less weird" unless you are willing to work on accurately reading and appropriately responding to social cues.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Why do you continue to tell dead baby jokes which are not funny? Having a child die is traumatic.
It appears you know what the issues are yet you refuse to quit doing what you do so you can "be yourself".
You are causing your own problems and no one else can "help" you, you have to change yourself because you want to.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
"Eccentric" is NOT the same as clueless ... tactless ... insensitive.

Dig deeper to figure out the right term for your personality.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
When it comes to dating, you're going to have to conform to certain standards.

Dead baby jokes are not funny, it's actually extremely insensitive and can be interpreted as twisted by some people. If you don't want to change, find a dude that is into what you are into. Other than that, work on yourself, and conform to what is acceptable to other people.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why do you continue to tell dead baby jokes which are not funny? Having a child die is traumatic.
It appears you know what the issues are yet you refuse to quit doing what you do so you can "be yourself".
You are causing your own problems and no one else can "help" you, you have to change yourself because you want to.
I kind of like shock value. I'm a "Madonna" in a sense.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
When it comes to dating, you're going to have to conform to certain standards.

Dead baby jokes are not funny, it's actually extremely insensitive and can be interpreted as twisted by some people. If you don't want to change, find a dude that is into what you are into. Other than that, work on yourself, and conform to what is acceptable to other people.
What are the standards? It's not like people write this on a wall.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Socialite View Post
I kind of like shock value. I'm a "Madonna" in a sense.
Congratulations, you just made the first of many excuses for your behavior.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Are you really eccentric or just rude and lacking social skills in the name of 'being yourself'?

I have a friend that is a horror writer....she has a dark sense of humour along with her quick wit - lethal combo.....but she knows the time and place and can judge if someone will appreciate that style. (Though...dead baby jokes are, at best, passée and immature....knock it off until you get much bether at dealing with people...they are seldom funny anyway.)

My friend is incredibly popular with everyone though she has more than few eccentricites. She's not out to put people off or show how eccentric she can be. She's herself...she likes herself and many people.

I have to wonder....from the threads you start here...if you really want to learn social skills....you seem to revel in being 'different'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology