Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 05:59 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times

Advertisements

have my own place. And before that I haven't been around mother as much mostly been staying with relatives and family members.

Every time I make a good suggestion or good idea, others would agree. Yet if its to mom. She gets and auttitube and criticize my intelligence and start saying stuff like " oh you want to do what you want to do" " how you make decisions?".

And after getting my own place, she fuss and complain about that.

Tell others and brainwashed them that I don't know what I'm doing and know nothing .

This year we both took the cdl test at a local dmv. I passed all parts including the driving part and got a cdl. Mom on the other hand didn't past the first part of the test.

Also, depending on a subject , if I say something that is right and true like for instance there's different types of cdls while she says there's only one. Shell say I nothing about it even though I would say to here to look it up if she does not believ me

And when someone tells her otherwise, shell try to justifyvjustify her guilt .

Plus she got a good husband who has a house. She still fuss about me and other stuff .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
It's hard, takes practice but you have condition yourself to not allow being emotionally affected by what others say or do. Again it's hard, I have been through that, I am also 28 and when it comes to family members, it's tough.

Don't let yourself be belittled and always feel free to say something and put her on notice. Too many people think it's bad or disrespectful to put your parents on notice, but I think a little bit of it is healthy.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:24 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
It's hard, takes practice but you have condition yourself to not allow being emotionally affected by what others say or do. Again it's hard, I have been through that, I am also 28 and when it comes to family members, it's tough.

Don't let yourself be belittled and always feel free to say something and put her on notice. Too many people think it's bad or disrespectful to put your parents on notice, but I think a little bit of it is healthy.
This ^^^ and also, learn to change the subject when she starts in. That can be pretty effective in shutting down the negativity.

She treats you that way because she is immature and most likely envious of you. Some moms just aren't good. I had one and you have my sympathy.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
My dad is like that. He thinks pretty much everyone is stupid and incompetent including me. I wanted to go visit them a couple years ago and he kept saying "how are YOU going to handle kids in an airport" as if I am some moron who doesn't know how to stand in line or walk from point A to point B with kids , so I didn't go. That is one of a million examples. I now just leave the room when he starts in or scold him if it's over the phone. He HATES it. He finds it very frustrating that I won't sit and listen to his nonsense, but he does stop, because he loves to tell people how wonderful he is, so if I leave there is no one for him to talk to .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology