Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:19 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times

Advertisements

I just want to hear people's thoughts on this. I was surprised to find that not everybody likes nice and sweet people! Do you find them annoying? I have a sassy side and a sweet side. I usually think of my sassy side as being an ahole so I don't let it out often, only to my closest friends who I know can appreciate it. I'm not that mean when I'm sassy but I like my sweet side more, especially for people I don't know well. But I seem to make friends easier and attract people like me when I let my sassy side out. I can't even control which side gets let out though. I feel like it highly depends on who I'm speaking with. I would like to have my sassy side out more but most people won't even understand that part of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
I prefer nice people- if they're genuine.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Define sweet

Old 09-26-2015, 12:02 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
It really depends. If it's just their natural personality then I think that is fine. But some people try to be nice all the time, thinking that it is the "right" thing to do. It's good to have some of that, thought. Neither extreme (mean or nice) is very desirable to me. I suppose it's really all about maturity.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:20 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I just want to hear people's thoughts on this. I was surprised to find that not everybody likes nice and sweet people! Do you find them annoying? I have a sassy side and a sweet side. I usually think of my sassy side as being an ahole so I don't let it out often, only to my closest friends who I know can appreciate it. I'm not that mean when I'm sassy but I like my sweet side more, especially for people I don't know well. But I seem to make friends easier and attract people like me when I let my sassy side out. I can't even control which side gets let out though. I feel like it highly depends on who I'm speaking with. I would like to have my sassy side out more but most people won't even understand that part of me.
Niceness can be a social strategy so I don't really determine if I like it or not. What I do pay attention to are values. If we share the same values, then I don't always have to be nice and sweet. Those are the people I make friends with.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:31 AM

465 posts, read 418,183 times
Oddly I have been told a few times in my life, "not everyone likes a happy jovial person." My response, ok I will try to be more angry. Silly!

Yes being nice is a social strategy. Its easier in life to be nice vs angry. I try to be nice for me, not you.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:06 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:

I can't even control which side gets let out though.
I would work on this ^^^ first. It sounds like YOU don't even fully understand the parts of you.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
I find nice people extremely annoying and I don't trust them generally. Of course I'm a grump and an ahole so take that into consideration.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 AM

297 posts, read 276,981 times
Quote:
sweet - yes. saccharine - god, no. They usually are fake.

sassy people are more interesting, seemingly genuine, and fun. They seem self-contained and confident, whereas sweet people are often people pleasin

Do not confuse nice with kind

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,896 times
A kind person is nice a lot of the time, but not all the time. No person who's being themselves and being genuine/natural is sweet and nice 100% of the time. Everyone has encountered things, people, opinions etc that don't sit well with them. There's also many situations where a person is neither nice or mean...there's a huge middle ground where a person is just serious or neutral or humorous or indifferent or sassy. The more interesting, confident and likable people usually display a variety of behaviors depending on situation and mood...they're not afraid to express themselves and in most cases they don't give a flip about what others think.

I can understand if plastering on a smile is part of the job description (I can usually tell that the smile is forced, but I don't mind since the person's just being professional and doing their job.) But in other situations, "fake nice" often comes across as a bit patronizing, and will rub some people the wrong way. "Fake nice" people are also hard to trust.

A good sign that a person is mature is how he reacts to and handles situations that he doesn't like. A mature person seldom lets himself get consumed with negativity or anger; he keeps control of his emotions. When he/she encounters something or someone he doesn't like, he either ignores it, or stays out of the way, or lets it roll off his back, or deals with it in a calm, steady, firm manner, or uses humor and wit to defuse the situation and maybe even turn the negative into a positive, or just listens and allows the other person to "let it all out".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology