Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:30 PM

208 posts, read 169,904 times

Advertisements

Chere Nounouch,

Reading your post reminded me of where I have been. I am very similar to you, and it's crazy how alike our stories are. I am from Paris also, and moved to the US in 2000. I first lived in Bridgeport, CT for 5 years and hated it too. Just like you I did not drive, the place was boring and depressing compared to Paris. But consider yourself fortunate to have your husband who can give you rides, because I was single there, and did not drive. Even getting around was hard for me.

I then moved to NYC and lived there 6 years, and just like you, I adapted to life there, it was much easier for me because of the abundant public transportation and meeting many people from France and other parts of the country and the world. NYC was very exciting to live in, but also VERY expensive. Honestly, I was struggling a lot financially there, which ultimately pushed me out. I met my husband 4 years ago, he lived in Northern NJ. So we got married and I moved there to live with him. Honestly, I am not crazy about NJ though, but through all my moving and relocating, I have learned precious, important lessons.

Try to look at the good side of things, and be thankful for ALL the good things. Being positive, and focusing on the GOOD things will definetely help you, it will give you hope. Nothing is as bad as it seems.
I agree that you MUST learn how to drive if possible. I lived in the US for 13 years without driving, and finally learned 2 years ago. It was a little scary at first, but I LOVE IT!! You will feel SOOOO free! You don't have to depend on bus and trains schedules, you waste less time, and you get access to EVERYWHERE you want to go. Trust me, I have been commuting for many years, over long distances (like from Belleville NJ to the upper east side in NYC for work) and the commute would be bus to train to subway to walking, 2 hrs each way. Trust me, I PREFER driving much better.

Everyone here suggested very good things, please listen to the advice. You can send me a private message if you want.
REmember that you are VERY fortunate to have a loving husband and healthy child, be thankful for that everyday.

Tout le meilleur et bonne chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 AM

5,376 posts, read 3,569,710 times
in the British countryside a vehicle is not just a must, its a necessity , public transport is virtually non existent, if someone dosent want to be stuck at home 24/7/365 then the ability to drive is a required skill.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,181,628 times
Does your town have Uber drivers? Uber might be a possibility. Would you feel different about where you live if you could drive, or are you just a fish out of water?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
I agree with everyone here. Learn to drive. In the States, that's how we get around. You will be happier if you can drive where you need to go during the day, instead of waiting for your DH to take you.

Cherish your family, and resolve to make the marriage work. But do find friends, a hobby or other pursuit, and get out of the house! Every place has something to offer.

And, insist on an annual visit to New York, or at least, a visit every 2-4 years, as a vacation.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology