Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 05:15 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times

Advertisements

We might need to do a better job of putting ourselves into the OPs shoes. Imagine if you encountered racial hostility, or perceived hostility, on a pretty regular basis. Perhaps you would be a little more sensitive to supposed rude behaviors in other people, especially if you had a pretty stable set of preconceived notions about what politeness looks like. At times, it's really difficult. I do admit that I will get angry if someone curses at me or honks a horn for apparently no reason. You didn't take the time to talk to me; you just told me to get out of the way! I do sometimes wonder why people react the way they do, but they all have their reasons. Maybe they just wanted me to experience something unpleasant in exchange for making them experience it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 05:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I meet rudeness with rudeness. If someone is being an a$$, I feel the need to let them know.

Just yesterday I went to a local store that I hate to frequent because the owner is a rude idiot with no people skills. I only went there because I didn't want to wait two days for the same part on line. When I told him I had ordered a part on line and that it was defective, he jumped on me for "not supporting a local business by ordering on line."

I thought about it for about a half second and then I told him "The reason I don't come here is because you are not the most friendly person in the world, and, in fact, I HATE to come here because you are cold and rude !" He said "I am that way because I have to answer stupid questions all day long !" To which I responded, "That is your JOB ! I work retail and I answer questions all day long and always treat my customers with respect and friendliness !"

I took my purchase and left, and it felt great to let him know exactly how I felt. Maybe if more people did it he would wake up and realize why he had to move from a big store to this smaller one.

Don

Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,418,450 times
The world is filled with rude people that are that way because they cant handle life and its ups and downs, and want to project their hostility on others. Rude people never bother me. They have to live in that skin they have created. What they try to outwardly project towards me means nothing. Inside im just falling down laughing at them. Your life is what you make of it. You fail, dont blame others.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:54 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Depends on my mood how I react to rude people. But I usually let things pass, because I know I am sometimes rude, too, plus life is too short to be pulled into someone else's problems.

I was at the Farmer's Market last week, standing in line and some old guy just cut in front of me. Now, granted, there were a couple people in front of me taking pictures of their kid, so it was hard to tell if they were in line or not. So I'm standing behind them and this old man just wanders up sort of to the side of them and then when they finally decide to get in line for real, he steps in behind them.

OK, I was taught to be nice to senile old people, so I didn't say anything.

Then, two women who came past us all while we were standing there came back and went up to the front to read the sign better. I thought, anyway. One of the women made as though to push her way to the front right after the next customer and her friend told her she was behind me. Didn't help. The old senile guy got helped and the woman then stepped right in behind him. I must have looked like a doormat that day.

OK, I figured that one just had some mental issues. I have a few of those once in a while, too. So I still didn't say anything. Plus, I didn't have any place pressing to be.

Other days I put on my steely-eyed Robert-McCall-the-real-Equalizer look (Denzel will never be able to do this) and make people back down, but as the last time I attempted to do this I was sitting in a wheel chair having had an aneurysm the week before, I can't say how effective it was because my friend got hysterical and told me to "just let the guy go!" I think she had visions of having to fight for me and probably also thought the aneurysm was affecting my judgment. Not even.

Hey, I can be lethal in a wheelchair!

Last edited by rodentraiser; 10-10-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology