Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

I remember in middle school we got into fights just because we were bored. One boy did threaten to hurt me, but I wanted him to do it so I could fight him and show my physical superiority to the other students. Nothing ever came of it, though. I and my friend later had a staged fight, and we got the attention of the whole school with it because we were such good friends. There was no hair-pulling or nail gouging, though, and, no, my friend did not get to show off her excellent karate moves that day; it was just a game. The other kids wanted to break us up, but we showed them that girl pals stick together. Ah, those were the days I could actually relate to people socially. High school and beyond got so much more complicated.

I disagree with the "hurting is flirting" idea, though. Young males may pick on an unpopular girl to assert their social superiority but not because they like the female in question. I got a lot of attention from the boys in high school, and it was because the guys who needed a little social credit thought they could get away with teasing me and raise their perceived social status at my expense. I just ignored it and went on with my life. Sure, I did resent the thought of not having a chance at an actual social relationship. I was considered the "lame," "stupid," unfriendly," insert insulting title here girl that no one knew or wanted to hang out with, and I guess I never really got over that. To this day, that's probably how my classmates view me. Wow, sometimes I feel like life is so unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Thinking back to my mother and "it just means he likes you", I knew it wasn't true so it just got added to the large collection of things my mother constantly lied about. I learned very young to never believe anything she said. There was no trust for her or confidence in her.

Personally, I believe it makes a better relationship with a child to never lie to them, not even if you think the lie shields them. Children have a tendency to know when there is something off when they are told a lie.

Yes, I agree that mindless platitudes like "he hurts you because he likes you" can be a harmful thing to teach to a young girl.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
If aggression = love, then love kills.

11-Year-Old Boy Allegedly Kills 8-Year-Old Girl Over Puppy

Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
I guess that it's true !

Sticks and stones will break your bones
But words will scar you forever !

How on earth have we survived this long !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology