Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 AM

676 posts, read 528,019 times

Advertisements

I find the subject of 'unconditional love' (or positive regard) interesting. People sling this term around a lot, but what does it mean?

Unconditional love does not mean putting up with whatever another person decides to dish out. So I can 'unconditionally love' someone AND not have them in my life because they are abusive and so forth.

To 'unconditionally love' another is to feel love for them regardless of who they are or what they have done and continue to do. Allowing someone to treat you in whatever manner they please is simply being a doormat.

So ..... the unconditional love of a completely dependent pet or small child is really just the absolute dependency that animal or child feels and may or may not include the feeling of 'love'.

'Unconditional positive regard' is being used in place of 'love' because of the variety of meanings this particular word holds within our society. But, again does a completely dependent creature hold someone in 'positive regard' because they put up with whatever behavior the other dishes out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 02:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
I've noticed in my own family and some friends that some of them Care More about their Pets than they do their family members, friends etc.

I'm thinking this is called the "humanization of animals."

While i love my Dog, i don't think i would choose his well-being over my mother or other important people in my life.So why do some people care more about their Pets than People?
  • Is this a sickness or dis-order?
  • Can it be characterized or Labeled?
Thanks for your input!

~B
Narcissism. Dogs think their masters are God.
The owners finds that fits nicely with their own self appreciation...self deception more like.
Maybe they could pray to become the person their dog thinks they are.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 AM

676 posts, read 528,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The owners finds that fits nicely with their own self appreciation...self deception more like.
Pray to be god? Isn't that against the rules? 'Though shalt not have any false gods or something'.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Whether it's a dog, a cat, bird, ferret, sugar glider, rat or even a goldfish, of course a pet will appear to love their owner. The owner feeds them.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Is having children narcissism too? Thinking your genes are so important they have to be passed along? Just playing Devils advocate here.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Whether it's a dog, a cat, bird, ferret, sugar glider, rat or even a goldfish, of course a pet will appear to love their owner. The owner feeds them.
It's probably not that simple though this is under debate.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-you-more-food

Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
It's probably not that simple though this is under debate.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-you-more-food

I read that with interest. Pretty fascinating.

I had a pet Banty chicken who just wanted to cuddle. I never offered her a treat from my hand as that didn't interest her. Only the occasional smashed fly from the fly swatter. She would follow me around and just wanted to be held....that was special to me as the "food issue" was out of the picture.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I read that with interest. Pretty fascinating.

I had a pet Banty chicken who just wanted to cuddle. I never offered her a treat from my hand as that didn't interest her. Only the occasional smashed fly from the fly swatter. She would follow me around and just wanted to be held....that was special to me as the "food issue" was out of the picture.
That's really sweet!

Old 04-07-2017, 01:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The science says otherwise (for dogs, anyway).

Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Is having children narcissism too? Thinking your genes are so important they have to be passed along? Just playing Devils advocate here.
I like to think of the whole 'passing along the genes' thing as false immortality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology