Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,329,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Why is it that the most comfortable place for the cats to sleep is right on top of the freshly folded laundry?
Didn't shut the linen closet door all the way one morning. Came home and the cat was sleeping on the folded towels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 07:44 PM

6,781 posts, read 4,773,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I've never known anyone who paid more attention to their pets than their kids.

I will admit that in times of natural disaster, I feel worse for the animals than the people. I once asked my sister if she thought it was bad that I feel this way, and she said "Well, it's because they don't understand..." And she hit the nail on the head - it's not that I cared more for the animals than the people, it's just that the animals are more vulnerable and don't understand what it going on or why. People often have warnings about natural disasters these days, and they generally know when they live in an area where there is a risk of a natural disaster. They choose to live there. I'm not saying I don't have empathy for them, I do - I greatly empathize with the lose of their home, any loved ones, etc - and I certainly wouldn't prioritize saving animal lives over human ones. But the animals didn't choose to live there, don't understand what's going on, and it adds to their vulnerability in a way that people (of a certain age anyway) don't have.

That in no way means I care more about my cat than my husband (we have no children yet). If my husband and my cat were trapped in a burning building and I could only save one, there is no question - I shouldn't even need to say it - I would save my husband.

Equally, in the wake of the dentist who killed the lion - I wondered how many of those people outside his office protesting his actions do the same for someone who killed a human and got away with it?
^^^^This. This is exactly how I feel. Thank you, PA2UK, for your eloquence.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,040,158 times
I love my Dog too, but i saw some interesting responses to this thread.
  • -animals are innocent
  • -animals don't know what's going on in a disaster
  • -animals didn't choose to live where a natural disaster takes place
  • -i build shrines to my animals
  • -we experience more devotion from our pets than from humans
  • -pets don't let you down like people
  • -pets don't talk back
  • -a boy takes 2nd place to a bird in the house
  • -animals pose no threat to them,
  • -animals are vulnerable
  • -animals rely on them
  • -unconditional love
  • -i could not give my cats away for anything
  • -wife has to leave, not the dogs
  • -animals are nicer than humans
  • -easier to love animals than humans
  • -pets have unconditional love
...i guess we humans are on the lower rungs of the totem pole. It also makes me realize how "depraved and anti-social" we have become.
I wonder if the Indians who settled in this country ever held their pets in higher esteem than their country men? ? ? I seriously doubt it.
I saw this trend "animal humanization" with some of my Aunts (who's husbands were millionaire Dr's.). They had several dogs in the house and their kids were given less or even competed for the attention of their parents.

I've also observed "animal humanization" more-so in those with less education and limited communication skills. Humans who fail at the art of communicating and interacting with other Humans, tend to find more hope and love from their animals....and its makes perfect sense. The dog doesn't know if his owner is an idiot or not? No judgement from fido....he only cares if he doesn't get fed. Cats are smarter (i think). If you don't feed them, they haul arse. (haha).

At the rate we are going, your life and mine will be of less value to society than that of a dog. (at least to most people).

I saw a guy walking his pit-bull dog through a shopping plaza a few months back. He was walking right up to me with this big giant nasty dog, like he was trying to intimidate me. I showed him my chrome plated .40 cal.---and told him to get his animal off the sidewalk. LOL....he got scared and yanked his dog and scooted off. (A-hole thought he was tough walking a 100lb devil dog through a public place to intimidate people).

Now people bring their dogs to the food stores and restaurants. Its the height of Narcissism. "Look at me and my Dog!"

....makes me wonder about the mentality of us Humans.

~B

BTW, the pet business grossed more than "55 billion dollars" in 2014. I don't know if 55 billion was spent on the homeless in 2014.

Last edited by Balkins; 10-15-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 08:23 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,329,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
  • -animals are innocent
  • -i build shrines to my animals
  • -we experience more devotion from our pets than from humans
  • -pets don't let you down like people
  • -pets don't talk back
  • -a boy takes 2nd place to a bird in the house
  • -animals pose no threat to them,
  • -animals rely on them
  • -unconditional love
  • -i could not give my cats away for anything
  • -wife has to leave, not the dogs
  • -animals are nicer than humans
  • -easier to love animals than humans
  • -pets have unconditional love
...i guess we humans are on the lower rungs of the totem pole. It also makes me realize how "depraved and anti-social" we have become.
I wonder if the Indians who settled in this country ever held their pets in higher esteem than their country men? ? ? I seriously doubt it.
I saw this trend "animal humanization" with some of my Aunts (who's husbands were millionaire Dr's.). They had several dogs in the house and their kids were given less or even competed for the attention of their parents.

I've also observed "animal humanization" more-so in those with less education and limited communication skills. Humans who fail at the art of communicating and interacting with other Humans, tend to find more hope and love from their animals....and its makes perfect sense. The dog doesn't know if his owner is an idiot or not? No judgement from fido....he only cares if he doesn't get fed. Cats are smarter (i think). If you don't feed them, they haul arse. (haha).

At the rate we are going, your life and mine will be of less value to society than that of a dog. (at least to most people).

I saw a guy walking his pit-bull dog through a shopping plaza a few months back. He was walking right up to me with this big giant nasty dog, like he was trying to intimidate me. I showed him my chrome plated .40 cal.---and told him to get his animal off the sidewalk. LOL....he got scared and yanked his dog and scooted off. (A-hole thought he was tough walking a 100lb devil dog through a public place to intimidate people).

Now people bring their dogs to the food stores and restaurants. Its the height of Narcissism. "Look at me and my Dog!"

....makes me wonder about the mentality of us Humans.

~B

BTW, the pet business grossed more than "55 billion dollars" in 2014. I don't know if 55 billion was spent on the homeless in 2014.
Seriously? Are you like some poor tortured dog who came back as a human and is jealous of how well dogs are treated compared to you.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to explain here.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM

10,205 posts, read 17,822,365 times
Quote:
...i guess we humans are on the lower rungs of the totem pole. It also makes me realize how "depraved and anti-social" we have become.[b][color=Blue]
Hold up - these were my comments in the list above but I did NOT say humans are lower on the rung. If you read my complete post, you would see that. Do not put words in my mouth.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,580,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
II consider it a personality disorder when it gets to the extreme that someone chooses to buy their home based on the suitability of the yard for their 8 year old dog, when the lifespan may only be 10-12 years.
Do you realize that many people will get another dog after one passes? While you may think the lifespan may be 10-12 years, it may be longer. And if you're not paying for their house, what's it to you if they want a yard that suits their dog's needs? You worry about bedrooms for your kids. Let them worry about their dogs.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,370,522 times
my dog will watch anything i want to watch on tv.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,580,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It isn't an either or situation.

Please explain what situation that would ever occur that you would have to chose your dogs well being over your mother??????
Clearly, you haven't met my mother! The Queen of England is far less demanding than that woman. The only thing my dogs ask for is food, a place to sleep, and potty time. They don't care what they eat. They don't care where they sleep as long as it's near us. They aren't picky about where they potty.My mother on the other hand....oy vey....She complained about having too many shrimp in her shrimp pasta dinner at a nice restaurant during her first visit to my new home after I relocated. Who complains you get too many shrimp?? My dogs would have been thrilled with one shrimp split up between the 3 of them.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,191,194 times
Quote:

You seem quite bitter over this. If I had to choose a person who spoke in such a rude and condescending manner like this and a dog, guess who I would pick?

Hint: It's not the former, I can tell you that.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:22 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,332,147 times
Oh for god's sake. I participate in dog sports, which is an area with some seriously obsessive dog people, and I can honestly say I don't know anyone like this. I think this is a little cultural myth insecure people like to tell themselves to make them feel superior to these figments of their imagination. And if someone does care more for their pets than their dependent children, well, you can be pretty sure that comes with a nice side helping of a personality disorder.

I don't even like my mother all that much, but she comes before my very beloved dogs.

I am the center of my dogs' worlds. They provide me with unlimited companionship, affection and devotion. When I am at my absolute worst, they will crawl into that gloom and fury and snuggle up with me like I am the most awesome person on the planet. That loyalty evokes a sense of responsibility on my part. The humans in my life come first, but my dogs have priority when it comes to every resource I possess beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology