Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 01:23 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When my son married, he'd had 2 dogs for several years. Two weeks after the wedding, his wife said the dogs go or I go. My son's response was the dogs don't go.
I wish your son was my neighbor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 01:27 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee123 View Post
Animals will generously give love and receive love regardless of who or what you are, what you do, what you say, how you look....

Animals let you love them and love you back unconditionally.

What is wrong with that?
Absolutely nothing.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:35 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Simple answer, and I think Mark Twain put it best:

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

Old 10-17-2015, 05:37 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Narcissism when people are out with their dogs? You are seriously over thinking this.

Did it every occur to you that the guy was just out with his pit or maybe wanted to ask you a question and was NOT trying to intimidate you. You pulled a gun on him??? Holy overreaction. People out walking their dogs are not trying to intimidate other people they're out walking their dogs. I've seen pit bulls who have been literally tortured by humans still act loving and kind to the very species that inflicted pain on them. They're not monsters.
  1. One of my jobs is Armed Under-cover Security. I protect property and individuals. I work Retail and Private Protection
  2. I did not pull a gun and point it (lol)
  3. I am licensed to carry in my state and a few others.
  4. I lifted my shirt to show him that i did have one and TOLD him that his dog is not welcomed in a PUBLIC VENUE walking through a busy shopping plaza scaring children and their mothers. I also told him that it was against the law to walk his Devil Dog in a Public Venue (but he already knew that).
  5. I suppose some ppl (like yourself) think its ok to parade their Pit Bulls in public venues. IN MY county, PIT BULLS are not allowed to be walked in Public Venues---its the LAW. If a cop would have witnessed his act, there is a good chance that Dog would have ended up Dead. IN FACT, the owner can wind up with felony charges if someone gets hurt and he's not carrying a 500k liability policy for owning a pit-bull. (Most of these Dog Owners can't afford a 500k Dog Liability policy and few have them). Regardless of what you may think, these dogs have a reputation of erratic behavior, even against their owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'll be frank again. I think the thing is that people are egotistical. Every single person I do not personally know is insignificant to me, of people who I know of (but not personally) their actions and activities may be significant (they're determining political policy, providing entertainment, designing machines, devices and applications of interest, providing or refusing service) but they as individuals have no significance. People I know have significance, that significance can be both positive and negative and has some weight (like a -10 to 10 scale), my pets are on that scale too because they hold significance for me, anyone I don't know isn't on the scale because they hold no significance. If you think you deserve significance you better go ahead and prove to me why you deserve it, because we're the same species isn't going to cut you any slack.
This is the most rational thing you said in this thread. And i get it. Significance,--- i get that point. IF they aren't relevant to your life, then you really don't care. I suppose that's human nature. We care, but we really don't. WE see someone blown up on TV and we feel bad, but if it doesn't affect our life's personally, we really don't' care. This goes for me as well. I'm selfish and human too.

HOWEVER, MY point of this whole Thread was "How the Human Race is further dis-engaging with its own species and attaching more to Pets."

...and is further backed up by this article.

LINK

Old 10-17-2015, 07:30 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
I'm a vegan and I get surprised (dismayed!) at all of my fellow vegans who are extremely kind to four-legged animals, but not so much to two-legged ones...

Old 10-17-2015, 08:50 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think a lot of people who use their pets as substitute lovers/children have emotional issues. I think a lot of them have trust issues that go back to their families of origin.
Rubbish! Some people just don't want to deal with the numerous negative consequences of raising children. I don't want children yet I have great relationships with my mother, father, sister and her husband and even most of my extended family.
  • Pets don't whine for the newest gadget just because other kids have them.
  • Pets don't get involved with alcohol and drugs over peer pressure.
  • Pets don't need new clothes every year and even if the owner did want to buy something for the pet to wear at least the pet will appreciate it regardless of price paid / brand chosen.
  • Pets aren't subject to the negative influences of society. Once they are properly trained they are generally good for life.
  • Pets don't get in trouble with the cops or wreck cars.
  • The total cost of ownership of a pet is far less than that of a child because pets aren't brand specific and they don't need to be sent to college.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Simple answer, and I think Mark Twain put it best:

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
Exactly! If you treat an animal righteously, it will never turn against you. If you treat children righteously, bad societal influences can and often will turn them against you. The reality is that animals are a better emotional investment. By having children people get sucked further into the decaying society known as western civilization.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Default agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I don't even own a pet and I think you guys are unnecessarily hostile and bitter about this. What's with this smug attitude? The superiority complex that some have displayed here towards people who love their pets has to make you wonder who really has issues.
those people are just butthurt because their so-called friends and family would rather hang out with their pets than them and they refuse to admit that it is because they are an overall lousy, narcissistic human being. so their defense mechanism is to dismiss all of those people as being "damaged" or having "emotional problems". lol, how pathetic. if they think they are so perfect and socially well-rounded, why are their friends electing to go on a hike with their dog rather than attending their lame house gathering? it is because they dont want to hang out with them and their lousy, judgmental, self-absorbed friends in order to be their psychological punching bag.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Mcpherson View Post
A pet doesn't need you to communicate your ideas, share your insights, help them with a problem, give them support, help them with their homework, do the grocery shopping, etc.
Let's dissect this a little bit ...

Pets can have problems and require support, namely keep an adequate supply of food and water available and accessible at home, keeping the area cleaned up from their bodily waste, keeping them safe from ticks and fleas, etc.

Also have you ever heard of going to the store to get PET FOOD and pet medications?

Pets are work just like children. The big difference is that there is far less chance for a major letdown from pets.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Yeah I know the type. A bunch of them on here ive seen. Even animals that arent their pets they care more about. Heck ive even read stories of such people people killing their families in a car wreck because they swerved to avoid hitting a skunk or some such.

I don't think it's because they care more about the animal then they do humans. I think it may be more of a knee jerk reaction. Who wants animal blood and body parts all over their car? It's not a pleasant thing harming either animal or human and I think most of us would rather avoid that situation. Do I love my pets more then some humans? Yes. Would I chose to save an enemy over my pet? Hmmm let me think on that a spell. I would have to say probably. Would I chose to save a serial killer, rapist, or a child molester over my pet. Ah NO. It's not a simple question to answer whether pets are more important then people. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. One size does not fit all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology