Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,809 times

Advertisements

Being a sociopath is really on a spectrum. There is an assessment that scores people on a scale of one to twenty-three. The average person scores about an eight.

Read The Sociopath Next Door. It's a quick read and highly regarded. I wish I had read it when I was young. I had always thought that sociopath = Ted Bundy. Although he was one, there are many people who do not torture and kill, but still wreak havoc on people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, sociopaths have little to no empathy. Which means when they do something bad to another person, they have no remorse.
are you a professional or is that just your personal opinion?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
are you a professional or is that just your personal opinion?
I don't know why you are making a thing about this. What does remorse mean to you?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:03 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
delete remorse, add empathy.
No remorse does apply since a sociopath has no conscience.

You can read this article and look at other articles on the website by searching: https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/nar...ity-disorders/
It is a pretty good website.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Being a sociopath is really on a spectrum. There is an assessment that scores people on a scale of one to twenty-three. The average person scores about an eight.

Read The Sociopath Next Door. It's a quick read and highly regarded. I wish I had read it when I was young. I had always thought that sociopath = Ted Bundy. Although he was one, there are many people who do not torture and kill, but still wreak havoc on people's lives.
I was just going to make this exact same point and mention that book as well. There are varying levels of sociopath and I'm fully convince one of our SIL's is on the low end....

She seems friendly and chipper, but every interaction with her she is actually spreading negativity, a few clicks past simply gossiping, she gives you little digs, she likes to keep discussing bad things that happen, like I said she seems like she nice and friendly, but really every interaction with her I feel like I need a bath.

I'm fully convinced that she sits somewhere on the spectrum of being a lower level sociopath.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was just going to make this exact same point and mention that book as well. There are varying levels of sociopath and I'm fully convince one of our SIL's is on the low end....

She seems friendly and chipper, but every interaction with her she is actually spreading negativity, a few clicks past simply gossiping, she gives you little digs, she likes to keep discussing bad things that happen, like I said she seems like she nice and friendly, but really every interaction with her I feel like I need a bath.

I'm fully convinced that she sits somewhere on the spectrum of being a lower level sociopath.
My instinct would be unresolved anger issues combined with a passive-aggressive personality.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
My instinct would be unresolved anger issues combined with a passive-aggressive personality.
Yeah being a sociopath doesn't mean you spread gossip and are negative, and there is a huge range.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Being a sociopath is really on a spectrum. Read The Sociopath Next Door. It's a quick read and highly regarded.
I agree; that's an interesting book. Inside the Mind of a Sociopath

However, I don't think the traits appear on a spectrum. A sociopath is a lay term for someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder (often called by the criminal term, psychopath, although the two labels are not supposed to be the same). A person either carries the diagnostic criteria for this or h/she doesn't. (See DSM-IV and V). OTOH, today we all seem to use the term "sociopath" to describe anyone who seems ruthless, remorseless, selfish, etc. (Not unlike to the way people label others "narcissists" when they may only have narcissistic tendencies.)

Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Layman (former social worker, not a shrink) with some common sense observations:

Sociopaths are often "creepy". You get a strong feeling that something is wrong with them. They are usually not "successful" in life, and lurk around societys fringes. They are frequently on and out of jail for relatively minor theft and violence.

Psychopaths, on the other hand, are often highly successful so far as career, and the outward appearances of success. They usually end up in prison. But not near soon enough. And often for white color crimes.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
You'd have to meet her and just hear her... known her for 23 yrs now and had a lot of chances to be around her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yeah being a sociopath doesn't mean you spread gossip and are negative, and there is a huge range.
I probably should have used some better examples, but I did say the way she is isn't simply gossip, it's much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Layman (former social worker, not a shrink) with some common sense observations:

Sociopaths are often "creepy". You get a strong feeling that something is wrong with them. They are usually not "successful" in life, and lurk around societys fringes. They are frequently on and out of jail for relatively minor theft and violence.

Psychopaths, on the other hand, are often highly successful so far as career, and the outward appearances of success. They usually end up in prison. But not near soon enough. And often for white color crimes.
I agree about the creepy factor... sometimes you interact with someone and can pick up that there's something under the facade. Sometimes we need to trust our "gut" more.

Doesn't mean we can be wrong, but you should defiantly pay attention to the flags as you spot them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology