Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:39 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I have a bad temper and I'm known to raise my voice and have been called on it. But do you yell/scream when you're angry?
I have to really be pushed to lose my temper and very rarely do I have to raise my voice.

I consider it weakness in a person if you have to scream and shout at someone to either get them to listen to you or respect you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 06:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
My ex husband would've made a nun yell.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
my ex husband would've made a nun yell.
:d

Old 10-30-2015, 07:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
I don't. I'm pretty introverted though, so I figure extroverts, who are boisterous anyway, would be more prone to raising their voices when angry or otherwise agitated.

Rarely I've come across quiet, introverted people who have nasty temper tantrums that result in yelling, throwing punches, breaking things... anyone that unpredictable is a bit unnerving.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I lived with a man who not only yelled when frustrated, he threw temper tantrums...ripping a textbook through its binding and throwing it, putting his fist through a glass fronted cabinet, punching walls, once, he snapped the turn signal indicator lever off my new car, because he didn't want to ask directions and GPS was wrong...I came to find him out of control and infantile. Express your emotions like an adult, not like a child who is developmentally inequipped to hold back inappropriately impulsive behavior.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I lived with a man who not only yelled when frustrated, he threw temper tantrums...ripping a textbook through its binding and throwing it, putting his fist through a glass fronted cabinet, punching walls, once, he snapped the turn signal indicator lever off my new car, because he didn't want to ask directions and GPS was wrong...I came to find him out of control and infantile. Express your emotions like an adult, not like a child who is developmentally inequipped to hold back inappropriately impulsive behavior.
Beyond childish! I've yelled and screamed, but this is definitely out of control! I'm learning to keep my temper in check, as I've had high blood pressure and I darn sure don't need a stroke or heart attack!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
No. Trust me, my instinct is to yell, but I am a grown up, so I suppress it.

Yelling is immature and shows a lack of control. It's childish and stupid and indulgent and disrespectful.

People who yell are immediately ignored/written off by me.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I have a bad temper and I'm known to raise my voice and have been called on it. But do you yell/scream when you're angry?
I've only lost my temper to the point of yelling twice in my adult life. And the recipients of said tirades still remember the events in amazing detail and occasionally bring it up -- with a glazed sort of fascination on ther face, accompanied by a slight twitch :-) Possibly because I'm normally very soft-spoken -- it did get their attention, I must say.

Otherwise, I tend to go for cold and icily polite, with a dash of virulent sarcasm thrown in.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:16 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Rarely do I yell nowadays I used to in my 20's.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I've only lost my temper to the point of yelling twice in my adult life. And the recipients of said tirades still remember the events in amazing detail and occasionally bring it up -- with a glazed sort of fascination on ther face, accompanied by a slight twitch :-) Possibly because I'm normally very soft-spoken -- it did get their attention, I must say.

Otherwise, I tend to go for cold and icily polite, with a dash of virulent sarcasm thrown in.
You're right up my alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology